Warmists off the deep end

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Warmists off the deep end

Post by hanelyp »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/opini ... .html?_r=0
if they clean the original link, https://twitter.com/GonzoEcon/status/43 ... 32/photo/1
Strategies for dealing with the 2014 icicle surplus
self-destructing sabers for dispatching climate-change deniers
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ohiovr

Re: Warmists off the deep end

Post by ohiovr »

I tend to think the the international reaction due to a degree raise in temperature to be kind of silly but when I think about sea life unable to grow calcium carbonate shells I get kind of worried.

JohnFul

Post by JohnFul »

I tend to think the the international reaction due to a degree raise in temperature to be kind of silly but when I think about sea life unable to grow calcium carbonate shells I get kind of worried.
Uh, well... there's this thing called limestone; and if that's not enough there's this other thing called marble. Both are found in abundance. Both were created by processes that started with sea life growing calcium carbonate shells; often in situations where the atmospheric concentration of CO2 was 10x or more than it is today. Don't believe me... next time you go to lowes or home depot, call the guy in the tile department a liar...

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

JohnFul wrote:Uh, well... there's this thing called limestone; and if that's not enough there's this other thing called marble. Both are found in abundance. Both were created by processes that started with sea life growing calcium carbonate shells; often in situations where the atmospheric concentration of CO2 was 10x or more than it is today.
That's some serious wishful thinking... so, assuming it's okay if we lose the shellfish now (and it definitely won't be okay), it'll be fine regardless because different shellfish in eons past could survive high CO2 levels?

But could these hardy forebears survive the rapidly changing CO2 levels of today?

The evidence says probably not. And that's assuming they could deal with the forms of current pollution and all the other environmental differences.

Life will survive climate change... but there's no magic guarantee that current ecologies will survive it, much less the humans who are very dependent on so many of those ecologies.