If this turns out to be true...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

If this turns out to be true...

Post by Diogenes »

Simon is never going to let us live it down.

Weed Could Block H.I.V.’s Spread. No, Seriously.

On a warm summer day in Chicago at the International Cannabinoid Research Conference, hundreds of marijuana researchers were giggling.

It wasn’t the groundbreaking research they’d just heard—proving the ability of THC, one of the active ingredients in marijuana, to stave off HIV (or RIV in monkeys)—that did it. Nor was it the author of the study, Dr. Patricia E. Molina, who had them laughing. It was the rogue researcher daring enough to taint the victory with a harsh dose of reality: “What’s next, testing this on humans?”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ously.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ohiovr

Re: If this turns out to be true...

Post by ohiovr »

Get people high enough and they'll forget how to do um.. yeah :D

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Simon and others have been saying for years that there is a medicinal value. Too bad that it has been demonized for so long that proper research is almost non existent.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Stubby wrote:Simon and others have been saying for years that there is a medicinal value. Too bad that it has been demonized for so long that proper research is almost non existent.

Another Simon myth.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Well actually. If you look into how the body's endocannabinoid system works - it is designed to kill cancer cells. And funny enough cancer cells have cannabinoid receptors that cause them to go into aptosis when filled with cannabinoids.

It is explained by Dr. Christina Sanchez who is a molecular biologist at Compultense University in Madrid Spain. She starts out the video by mentioning the work of Dr. Raphael Mechoulam in Israel. About 5 1/2 minutes of cannabinoid and endocannabinoid education. With a discussion of cancer aptosis thrown in.

http://vimeo.com/83094404

Cannabis prohibition and prohibitionists are going to get a very bad name when this knowledge is widespread. I'm doing my part.

Think of all the people with cancer prohibition is killing. Now think of their relatives and friends. I read of a woman of 31 who died of cancer in our town a while back. Broke my heart. So unnecessary.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Well not really, smoked pot shows no useful benefit in cancer reduction. There have been many studies by the Government and various university to this effect..But as it does get you high it has been suggested that it works for some forms of pain relief (DUH comfortably numb) and there has been some interesting results for whole plant use via ingestion and a lot of research that the THC component is not necessary for these effects. It has not yet gone to clinical trials .
As saying there is a big conspiracy to stop the studies that is just a rumor spread by the pro pot legions. There are many studies and commissions going on as of this date. Just right now they are not showing the results via scientific testing that the pro smoke people claim. But maybe they will find a exploitable use, only time will tell
I would love it to be the "CURE" but it doesn't look very promising right now.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ ... ient/page1
http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2013/ ... -1305.html

Now the pro pot religion will cherry pick the data in a effort to refute me. As a doctor friend told me what do you call a herb or natural substance that actually works....... Medicine, you call it medicine and that's not weed because right now it does not pass the test.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

"Well not really, smoked pot shows no useful benefit in cancer reduction."

Actually smoked pot shows benefits in lung cancer prevention for former tobacco smokers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4506595

This one is about Donald Tashkin who was once a noted prohibitionist:
Tobacco smokers who also smoked marijuana were at slightly lower risk of getting lung cancer than tobacco-only smokers.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/media-ign ... med-school
http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/2 ... ung-tumors

And of course if you look for anecdotal reports on using cannabis to fight lung cancer (cannabis oil especially) there are loads of reports.

The anti-cannabis/Reefer Madness generation is dying out. By 2020 they will not be a significant factor in politics. The trouble for the right is that they will get that albatross hung around their necks for another 20 or 40 years. It takes a very special kind of stupidity to not see that coming. The Right needs take the lead on ending prohibition to head that one off. Of course given what we see here that is a practical impossibility.

Well the right has a history of preserving Progressive errors. It goes back a LONG way. Longer back than the start of cannabis prohibition:

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. Even when the revolutionist might himself repent of his revolution, the traditionalist is already defending it as part of his tradition. Thus we have two great types -- the advanced person who rushes us into ruin, and the retrospective person who admires the ruins. He admires them especially by moonlight, not to say moonshine. Each new blunder of the progressive or prig becomes instantly a legend of immemorial antiquity for the snob. This is called the balance, or mutual check, in our Constitution. — G.K. Chesterton

Yep. 70 or 80 years is "it has always been this way". I AM amused.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And just wait for it. There will come a time when cannabis (smoked or otherwise) is suggested for its health benefits.
Neuroprotection by delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, the Main Active Compound in Marijuana, against Ouabain-Induced In Vivo Excitotoxicity

Excitotoxicity is a paradigm used to explain the biochemical events in both acute neuronal damage and in slowly progressive, neurodegenerative diseases. Here, we show in a longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging study that Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), the main active compound in marijuana, reduces neuronal injury in neonatal rats injected intracerebrally with the Na+/K+-ATPase inhibitor ouabain to elicit excitotoxicity. In the acute phase Δ9-THC reduced the volume of cytotoxic edema by 22%. After 7 d, 36% less neuronal damage was observed in treated rats compared with control animals. Coadministration of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor antagonist SR141716 prevented the neuroprotective actions of Δ9-THC, indicating that Δ9-THC afforded protection to neurons via the CB1 receptor. In Δ9-THC-treated rats the volume of astrogliotic tissue was 36% smaller. The CB1 receptor antagonist did not block this effect. These results provide evidence that the cannabinoid system can serve to protect the brain against neurodegeneration.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/21/17/6475.abstract
More links of that sort can be found at:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... re-cancer/

Here is the list without links:

Brain Cancer

1. A study published in the British Journal of Cancer, conducted by the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Complutense University in Madrid, this study determined that Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabinoids inhibit tumour growth. They were responsible for the first clinical study aimed at assessing cannabinoid antitumoral action. Cannabinoid delivery was safe and was achieved with zero psychoactive effects. THC was found to decrease tumour cells in two out of the nine patients.

2. A study published in The Journal of Neuroscience examined the biochemical events in both acute neuronal damage and in slowly progressive, neurodegenerative diseases. They conducted a magnetic resonance imaging study that looked at THC (the main active compound in marijuana) and found that it reduced neuronal injury in rats. The results of this study provide evidence that the cannabinoid system can serve to protect the brain against neurodegeneration.

3. A study published in The Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics already acknowledged the fact that cannabinoids have been shown to possess antitumor properties. This study examined the effect of cannabidiol (CBD, non psychoactive cannabinoid compound) on human glioma cell lines. The addition of cannabidiol led to a dramatic drop in the viability of glioma cells. Glioma is the word used to describe brain tumour. The study concluded that cannabidiol was able to produce a significant antitumor activity.

4. A study published in the journal Molecular Cancer Therapeutics outlines how brain tumours are highly resistant to current anticancer treatments, which makes it crucial to find new therapeutic strategies aimed at improving the poor prognosis of patients suffering from this disease. This study also demonstrated the reversal of tumour activity in Glioblastoma multiforme.

Breast Cancer

5. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine, conducted by the California Pacific Medical Centre determined that cannabidiol (CBD) inhibits human breast cancer cell proliferation and invasion. They also demonstrated that CBD significantly reduces tumour mass.

6. A study published in The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics determined that THC as well as cannabidiol dramatically reduced breast cancer cell growth. They confirmed the potency and effectiveness of these compounds.

7. A study published in the Journal Molecular Cancer showed that THC reduced tumour growth and tumour numbers. They determined that cannabinoids inhibit cancer cell proliferation, induce cancer cell apoptosis and impair tumour angiogenesis (all good things). This study provides strong evidence for the use of cannabinoid based therapies for the management of breast cancer.

8. A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) determined that cannabinoids inhibit human breast cancer cell proliferation.

Lung Cancer

9. A study published in the journal Oncogene, by Harvard Medical Schools Experimental Medicine Department determined that THC inhibits epithelial growth factor induced lung cancer cell migration and more. They go on to state that THC should be explored as novel therapeutic molecules in controlling the growth and metastasis of certain lung cancers.

10. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine by the Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology, from the Department of General Surgery in Germany determined that cannabinoids inhibit cancer cell invasion. Effects were confirmed in primary tumour cells from a lung cancer patient. Overall, data indicated that cannabinoids decrease cancer cell invasiveness.

11. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine, conducted by Harvard Medical School investigated the role of cannabinoid receptors in lung cancer cells. They determined its effectiveness and suggested that it should be used for treatment against lung cancer cells.

Prostate Cancer

12. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine illustrates a decrease in prostatic cancer cells by acting through cannabinoid receptors.

13. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine outlined multiple studies proving the effectiveness of cannabis on prostate cancer.

14. Another study published by the US National Library of Medicine determined that clinical testing of CBD against prostate carcinoma is a must. That cannabinoid receptor activation induces prostate carcinoma cell apoptosis. They determined that cannabidiol significantly inhibited cell viability.

Blood Cancer

15. A study published in the journal Molecular Pharmacology recently showed that cannabinoids induce growth inhibition and apoptosis in matle cell lymphoma. The study was supported by grants from the Swedish Cancer Society, The Swedish Research Council and the Cancer Society in Stockholm.

16. A study published in the International Journal of Cancer also determined and illustrated that cannabinoids exert antiproliferative and proapoptotic effects in various types of cancer and in mantle cell lymphoma.

17. A study published in the US National Library of Medicine conducted by the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology by Virginia Commonwealth University determined that cannabinoids induce apoptosis in leukemia cells.

Oral Cancer

18. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine results show cannabinoids are potent inhibitors of cellular respiration (note: this is confirmation of what I said about apoptosis) and are toxic to highly malignant oral Tumours.

Liver Cancer

19. A study published by the US National Library of Medicine determined that that THC reduces the viability of human HCC cell lines (Human hepatocellular liver carcinoma cell line) and reduced the growth.

Pancreatic Cancer

20. A study published in The American Journal of Cancer determined that cannabinoid receptors are expressed in human pancreatic tumor cell lines and tumour biopsies at much higher levels than in normal pancreatic tissue. Results showed that cannabinoid administration induced apoptosis. They also reduced the growth of tumour cells, and inhibited the spreading of pancreatic tumour cells.

Sources:

All sources highlighted throughout article. Click on the highlighted parts of the article to view them.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Once again If you understand the data it is not much above the placebo effect and spontaneous reduction. But just enough to warrant further study and as it is a hot liberal topic, funding does exist.
I will wait for real double blind study's
just because it works i rats does not mean it works in humans
when researching the differences between rats and humans I found this very interesting article
http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/blog/ ... -drug-test

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

paperburn1 wrote:Once again If you understand the data it is not much above the placebo effect and spontaneous reduction. But just enough to warrant further study and as it is a hot liberal topic, funding does exist.
I will wait for real double blind studys
The DEA is so afraid of those studies that it regularly rejects releasing any of the national pot supply for them.

That should tell you what their opinion of the likely outcome of the studies are. In the mean time work is going on elsewhere.

You really should look at the body's natural defenses against cancer. You might learm something.

BTW the endocannabinoid system has more receptors than any other body system. It is involved in regulating almost everything in the body. One scientist I came across said something to the effect "we have yet to see a system it doesn't regulate."

And you might want to explain the placebo effect in petri dishes.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a petri dish and once again just because it works there it does not work in the body.
again I think I will wait for real double blind studies and not the words suggests, indicates, potential, possible. there is real research going on world wide so I just can not get behind the DEA is stopping us from curing everything conspiracy theory.
I know some very smart medical people and when they start telling me then I will listen. Unless they are part of the conspiracy as well. :mrgreen:

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And yet people are curing stage 4 cancer (it has spread through the body - normally a death sentence) with cannabis oil.

Here is one report by a biochemist who used it on himself (stage 4).

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpr ... -it-works/

There are many other less technical reports. And you know - people dying are not going to wait. Those who can will go to Colorado. Or Canada.

Word on this is getting out. It will be death for the Right in America. Because results trumps "there is no credible evidence".

And since I WANT to see the death of the RIGHT in America I urge you to continue on with your current line of thought and exposition. Hold back the tides. You can do it. Until it washes you and your cohort away.

Prohibition now, prohibition tomorrow, prohibition forever.

Must be an echo.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As usual, Simon's cited studies are not actually studies.

More myths and piss poor propaganda. Go back from whenst you came. Leave us be from your drug silliness.

Haven't you been warned by Joe?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

And he neglects to include how many have died using "alternate therapy"

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

MSimon wrote:And just wait for it. There will come a time when cannabis (smoked or otherwise) is suggested for its health benefits.
Introducing the new VitaSmoke, the worlds first healthy way to smoke cigarettes. Each VitaSmoke is infused with naturally occurring synthetic vitamin C which clinical studies which we promise to do, show that smoking VitaSmoke cigarettes provide the essential nutrients and oils required to lyse your cell walls. Yes! order VitaSmoke today and enjoy a healthy natural smoke. 2 out 4 heart surgeons recommend VitaSmoke. Your first pack is free of charge. Subsequent packs are only $9.99 each. You'll love how VitaSmoke makes you feel.

Order your free pack today!