Korean Ferry Sinking

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Korean Ferry Sinking

Post by ladajo »

I am absolutely not advocating internet conspiracy fantasies.

Did anyone notice the distinct lack of any or clear photos from the sinking showing the underside of the ferry as it rolled over in Main Stream Media (MSM)?

For something to go down that fast of that size, it should have been significant damage visible.

I truly hope it was not the North Koreans getting stupid again.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Re: Korean Ferry Sinking

Post by paperburn1 »

Early reports suggest the captain delayed evacuation of the boat and a large number of life rafts were not deployed.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The life rafts should have auto deployed when the ship went under. Although it may not have been deep enough for some. I can't remember off hand what the tether length and auto release go at.

One lesson from this may be that using deep ocean raft systems may not be applicable for a littoral environment.

All that said, the call to stay put was idiotic. As soon as flooding reports came in and the ship started to list, which was fast they should have immediately initiated evacuation procedures. Passengers at a minimum should have been brought up to the muster areas on the weather decks.

Someone made a very bad call.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

They don't make captains like they used to.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

On the mark 8 I seem to remember 300 foot tether

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:I am absolutely not advocating internet conspiracy fantasies.

Did anyone notice the distinct lack of any or clear photos from the sinking showing the underside of the ferry as it rolled over in Main Stream Media (MSM)?

For something to go down that fast of that size, it should have been significant damage visible.

That was absolutely my first thought.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

paperburn1 wrote:On the mark 8 I seem to remember 300 foot tether
I was thinking 150ft, but wanted to look it up. I should know, but it has been a while since I needed to. :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Diogenes wrote:
ladajo wrote:I am absolutely not advocating internet conspiracy fantasies.

North Koreans?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

North Koreans?

Yes. Pardon my ambiguity.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is a little shameful for us to think that as an immediate consideration. I would prefer to see the better in people. But, I guess past actions have influenced current perceptions.

I do find it curious that with all the footage taken, I still can not find a decent view of the bottom of the ship from when it capsized. I still think there would be a clear damage area. There is a possibility that it remained underwater as the ship rolled. Also, curious that the crew and media have not discussed any flooding of the vessel other than from the roll over.

Lastest in the news was that they have heavy lift cranes on scene but are holding off on lifting due to fear of injuring possible survivors.
Strange logic, "let's wait until they are all dead for sure, then we will lift and check for them".
My thought is get it up and get water out. If by the grace of god there are still survivors in there, then getting air in, and cold and water out is imperitive.
Folks have survived a week or more trapped in sunken vessels.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I know what you mean, I search Google and not one damage photo. they are in 190 feet of water so it had to be a submerged object of some sort. log, shipping container, ?sub?

It was a 14 compartment ship with a design to float with two compartments open to sea.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Where did you find the info on the design?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0594587162
Apostolos Papanikolaou, director of the ship design laboratory at the National Technical University of Athens, said ships such as the Sewol are engineered to withstand flooding of two of about 15 below-deck compartments. Anything beyond that would result in the ship sinking, he said.

This assumes all watertight doors are shut, Mr. Papanikolaou said. In practice, they are often left open to allow movement of crew members between different sections of the ship. "In accidents, crews are sometimes taken by surprise, and there's no time to close the doors," he said.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

My understanding is that the build requirements for civilian vessels mandate remote and auto flood control doors for minimum integrity plus a percentage. I can't think that the doors were all manual.
Some ships even have solid bulkheads creating "well" zones. So to go down into another zone, you have to up out and over and down from the one you are in.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Here is another theory that makes me wonder. Someone from the NC DOT I know works on the ferry and he said a hard turn could potentially cause a load shift that if not counter ballasted right away would cause flooding in the well decks where they carry the cars and it would flip fairly fast . Have no idea but he does work on the ferry system boats.