How close do you think we are from a third world war?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ohiovr

How close do you think we are from a third world war?

Post by ohiovr »

Optimism and pessimism welcome

Stubby

Re: How close do you think we are from a third world war?

Post by Stubby »

my outlook changes depending on the number of beers I have had.
Need more research to find the median point.
TTFN
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

I've found that beer makes me feel more pessimistic about WWIII. Today I've been sober and I've been much more optimistic seeing that the heat, blast, and initial radiation from the closest primary targets are completely outside of my county. When I was drunk as a skunk yesterday I thought the whole human race would be wiped out.

choff

Post by choff »

Depends on how determined the Banksters running the show are willing to double down on stupid. I'll give it a 30% chance right now, might go up as events progress.
CHoff

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Optimism: that apocalypse has to happen sooner than later to not be obviated by public exposure to Overview Effect, life extension...
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Microbes will do just fine either way. For humans, the Bankster gang won't let the progressives go too far.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The military industrial complex needs wars to keep financed. The US government is lowering military spending. That means they need to start another war somewhere to drive the spending up again. Ukraine is great. It will lead to another cold war. Cold war was great, lots of military spending.
This is not going to end well.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. Curiously one thing entered my mind and that was the thought "what if one of the great powers has attained the ultimate abm?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693

"We're still some way off being able to take out an [Intercontinental Ballistic Missile] missile with laser technology, but we're on the path to that," he added.

That was said in 2010

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

Love you guys. Stay safe

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

If someone like Reagan was in office Putin would tread more carefully. With the current putz I'm not sure what it would take to provoke a meaningful response. I'm convinced that promoting energy production, including oil, not dependent on Russia or various dictatorships could crush them economically without firing a military shot. Not happening with the current DC or EU regimes.

A big variable is if the US descends into civil war or total economic collapse. The above mentioned putz seems intent to trigger both. With a US military incoherent, distracted, or depleted of resources, dictators around the world have one less big reason to behave themselves.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

IMHO we are closer to someone tossing nukes at someone else than we have ever been.
Who that is, and when and where it would be done is a lively debate, and would probably quickly go beyond my ability to comment here. I do thin it is fairly immutable that is so.
Idiots have control of weapons, and every day that goes by they get dumber and more misguided.
What happens after the initial exchange is more interesting for me. Not whether there will be one, because it would surprise me if we could go another 10 years (maybe less) without it happening.

The worst thing about the end of the cold war was that instability got the king's chair, and all the gentleman's and official agreed upon rules have been erdoing away every year.

Putin would never have made the moves he has if Reagan or either Bush were at the helm.
Once again the left marches us steadily to war while thinking they are avoiding it.
After all, what would Neville Chamberlain do (WWNCD)? Why, give them Austria of course.
So, what would Barack Obama do (WWBOD)? Why, give them Ukraine of course. And Iraq, and Syria, and Afghanistan, and Israel, and the South China Sea, and the East China Sea, and Iran, and the list goes on... and on...oh, he would also give them free phones and healthcare...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

A whole lot closer with these latest round of sanctions , that buy the way will not really hurt Russia as much as those aligned with Russia.
And what happens when they stop feeding the space station with consumables and new american personnel.
I do not think ed musk is up to the task.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

My biggest worry IF there was a nuke would be North Korea acting in the function of aggressor for china over the Philippines territory.
Imagine a bomb launched towards the west coast but exploded over the pacific 500 off shore, a nuc test gone wrong .
(very very sorry BUT....At least we stopped it and we put the dogs responsible to death.)
EMP makes California land unusable electronically but there was no direct attack on US soil.

wait maybe that not such a bad idea after all, no more hipsters hmmm.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Funny, CIA meddles with Ukraine to instigate a coup to install a pro-Nato regime...and then Putin does his thing. Looks to me like Obama was first to step over the line. Now he complains and blames. And Putin is no Hitler. Economic games with gas is the type of game the western prog's play and complain when someone else does it. Then lets look at military expenditure. What Russia spends $85 billion and we spend $800 billion? Look, no matter how you slice it, who is pushing gay rights on the world while trampling on the rights of its own citizens (can anyone say Snowden?) I am more worried Obama and prog's will suddenly "need" my IRA and take it for my own "good," or decide I am too old for state monopoly health care. If we had Reagan, Putin would likely not feel the "need" to defend Crimea's succession from Ukraine. Looks like our lefty gang vs their anti-lefty gang to me. And another thing, what is the thing with EPA shutting down the coal power plants????? Right before we get fusion (GF does not look that far away). I am not worried about Putin, I am worried about our lefty prog's.

To me, it looks like Obama dislikes Putin because Putin is to the right of Obama.
Last edited by mvanwink5 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

mvanwink5 wrote:Funny, CIA meddles with Ukraine to instigate a coup to install a pro-Nato regime.
Really? Not so much. That idiot got himself tossed with absrud corruption for even former Soviet Block and Russian standards. The whole dismissal of the EU trade agreement was clearly Putin under the table interference that backfired.
Obama had no hand in it. It all went down too fast for him to even understand what had and was happening. He is an international affairs idiot.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)