Will we ever get car engined sized fusion power plants?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

cgray45

Will we ever get car engined sized fusion power plants?

Post by cgray45 »

Both Focus Fusion and Polywell fusion systems are small-- in comparison to big generators.

But that's very much "In comparison."

So is it possible that we may one day get them down to car engine in size, or is that bumping up against solid physics (as opposed to engineering) barriers?
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

IIRC in one of the previous times this was discussed here, freight trucks were the most promising road going automotive application.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Does anyone know of a thermal to electrical or mechanical conversion process that is power dense enough for a car? I don't.

BLP's supposed CIHT process supposedly avoids the need for a heat conversion, so this system could be used for small motive applications like autos and small spacecraft, but other than that I don't see one for fusion.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

CharlesKramer

Re: Will we ever get car engined sized fusion power plants?

Post by CharlesKramer »

cgray45 wrote:Both Focus Fusion and Polywell fusion systems are small-- in comparison to big generators.

But that's very much "In comparison."

So is it possible that we may one day get them down to car engine in size, or is that bumping up against solid physics (as opposed to engineering) barriers?
I don't have the science chops to say with authority, but why not?

In a dense plasma focus device, fusions take place within tiny plasmoids, perhaps leaving hope the process that generates plasmoids can be scaled down enormously - even to a silicon chip level. in 2001 Casio claimed to be working on chip-scaled "reformers" (high heated reactions to liberate hygdrogen for a fuel cell). That's hardly fusion, of course, but it illustrates how small some industrial processes can become.

CBK

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

GIThruster wrote:Does anyone know of a thermal to electrical or mechanical conversion process that is power dense enough for a car? I don't.
A 4 piston swash-plate Stirling cycle engine has been demonstrated for auto applications. IIRC it has been heated both by a liquid fuel burner and a molten salt heat source.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Seems too much tech to put bother putting on a car, unless you are building a time machine or something?

Big fusion power plant nearby making hydrogen for you from water that you buy from the local service station just like gasoline sounds good to me. Or just use batteries, if that technology improves an order of magnitude.

Hmm...on second thought, a fusion powered rover for long term manned Mars mission might be apropos.

Of course, in the off chance if what Rossi claims to have is real, that might be small enough to power a steam engine car. Nice...

CharlesKramer

Re: Will we ever get car engined sized fusion power plants?

Post by CharlesKramer »

cgray45 wrote:So is it possible that we may one day get them down to car engine in size, or is that bumping up against solid physics (as opposed to engineering) barriers?
Pish posh lad, fantasize big!

Why not fusion generated electricity within a semi-conductor?

There may well be answers to that question (something about scaling laws, perhaps?), but it's fun to think about.
================================
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/charleskramer