Intel wants a chip implant in your brain

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Intel wants a chip implant in your brain

Post by DeltaV »

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Does it work both ways?

If so, just wait till Kim Jong Il hears about this!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think the first ones volunteering might be paralyzed that want to control their limbs that way. Someone like Steven Hawking might volunteer as well.
But then, I think stem cell research might provide more adequate solutions for these people.
We will see.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

If this is only for giving new options to people with nerve damage or prosthetics, I have no problem with it. The comments below, however, imply loftier goals:

"Pomerleau said that with human beings and machines converging in many ways, people will want to give up the need for an interface such as a keyboard, mouse or remote control and operate the devices using their brain waves. Pomerleau believes that some time within the next decade or so people will be "more committed" to the idea of the brain implants."

Someone needs to be committed...

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Has anyone else here ever seen the movie "The President's Analyst"?

No, TPC (The Phone Company) is not going to plant any chips in my head.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

As if PC and cell phone hacking wasn't enough..

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I'd love to get a chip in my head. Only, it would have to be a decade after they come out, once they're cheaper, the technology has stabilized a little, and a bunch of apps have been written for it. I'm no early adopter for conventional hardware, and I'll be a little more cautious with my brain.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

You must be one of those tough-minded hold-outs. Most people would get the chip just because all their friends did, and they wouldn't want to be considered "uncool". You want to be a team player, don't you?

djolds1

Re: Intel wants a chip implant in your brain

Post by djolds1 »

Not for that type. There is a medical brain chip I'd be interested in implanting.
Vae Victis

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I was referring to non-medical implants.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Not in my brain. Linking into a lesser nerve bundle to reduce risk is what I'd prefer. Think about it--You screw up the brain, you become a vegetable. You screw up the main nerve in your arm, you get a useless arm, but you're not a vegetable, and the lesser nerve is probably easier to try to fix.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Tom Ligon wrote:Has anyone else here ever seen the movie "The President's Analyst"?

No, TPC (The Phone Company) is not going to plant any chips in my head.
One of my very favorites. Godfrey Cambridge was just great in the wig.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

kunkmiester wrote:Not in my brain. Linking into a lesser nerve bundle to reduce risk is what I'd prefer. Think about it--You screw up the brain, you become a vegetable. You screw up the main nerve in your arm, you get a useless arm, but you're not a vegetable, and the lesser nerve is probably easier to try to fix.
The ones in your brain work best though. Who'd risk a useless arm for a crappy nerve chip? Might as well go for broke.

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Sci-Fi is now.

Interestingly, my brother just finished a sci-fi movie that parallels: Hive Mind.
Perrin Ehlinger

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

DeltaV wrote:You must be one of those tough-minded hold-outs. Most people would get the chip just because all their friends did, and they wouldn't want to be considered "uncool". You want to be a team player, don't you?
The zombie team?