Something funny going on.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Something funny going on.

Post by Diogenes »

Every time I take a peek at Talk Polwell today I get the following message, complete with entry bars for Username and Password:

"A username and password are being requested by http://img101.photolava.com. The site says: "Password Required""

Is anyone else seeing this ?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Yes.

I'm doing a clean now to see if I can clear it.

Malware ant-Malware and then Spybot Search and Destroy.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Yes, I was for a while. Not for a few minutes though.

No way I'm gonna click on that thing. Smells like a phishing lure to me.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Yeah. Gone now for me too.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

It's baaack.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

I was just browsing the forums, saw nothing odd, then I read this thread and it appeared... psychic spam!

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

It may have had something to do with someones avatar (assuming it's turned on, I haven't seen any avatars here at all). I see no references to that website in several phpBB code samples I took (that is served to my computer as HTML, I mean). If there was a spammer they may have linked that website. It looks like that website is notorious for singling that error on images hosted there (going by a cursory google search), so there's doubtless an image hosted on this site somewhere that triggered it.

In any case I recommend upgrading to phpBB3, as phpBB2 is no longer maintained, even if this was just a glitch.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I just disabled an image link that Kiteman put up in the design forum. (you can see when by my post there).

Maybe that fixed it.

May I suggest any one wanting to put up images should get them hosted at a reputable site rather than hot linking them.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

He was linking wikipedia which is reputable (for certain values of reputable; put it this way, they aren't going to hack you!). Most wiki images have thumbnails, however, and he could have used one of those. But yeah, I agree that using a large image is not very nice (which is one reason I didn't inline that Darwin Zero image in the AGW thread, many people seemed to have missed it unfortunately).

In any case, photolava seems to be a crappy site, so I'd suggest www.tinypic.com for others here.

I wish I saw the culprit though, I hate bugs like that which seem to magically go away.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

For me it only shows up when I open the "Investing in Solar Sector" topic in this forum. I suspect the picture in the ~5th posting that doesn't show up is demanding a sign-on.

By the way, I saw the dialog box before I posted the wiki-imag, so I doubt that was the issue.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Remeber, Nigerian bankers are not as generous as they claim.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:For me it only shows up when I open the "Investing in Solar Sector" topic in this forum. I suspect the picture in the ~5th posting that doesn't show up is demanding a sign-on.

By the way, I saw the dialog box before I posted the wiki-imag, so I doubt that was the issue.
I just deleted the img tag on that and it seems to be fixed.

Thanks!

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: I just deleted the img tag on that and it seems to be fixed.

Thanks!
De nada. Just my attempt to make things better for the group. :)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote: I just deleted the img tag on that and it seems to be fixed.

Thanks!
De nada. Just my attempt to make things better for the group. :)
Joe thanks you too. He was glad he didn't have to attend to it. He was busy anyway.