AGW Supporters always ignore this question

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:On the racism thing: I dont think that it is as present anymore in Europe, IMHO there is less in Europe than in the US.
There is some anti judaism (I refuse to say anti semitism because that would be a paradoxon since technically arabs are semites too) which is mostly fired by the quickly growing muslim population.
From this side of the pond we see things differently.

I was involved in the American anti-apartheid movement in the early 60s to late 70s.

We have come a LONG way. The view of outsiders is stuck in a time warp.

We have a Black Supreme Court Justice who is (politically) a libertarian. Blacks are fairly well integrated in society (those who want to be). And of course there is sports - always a route to mobility because it is the one place where ability counts and is sought.

http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/Ma ... n-Baer.htm

He must have inspired my dad (who was a Golden Gloves boxer) - both from Omaha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gloves

http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/Ta ... Boxing.htm

===

And of course music:

Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas" heh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Berlin
Irving Berlin was born Israel Baline on May 11, 1888, one of eight children of Moses and Lena Lipkin Baline. His birthplace is a matter of some dispute: it was either near Mogilev (then in Russia, now in Belarus)[1], or in Tyumen[2] or Tobolsk.[3] His father, a cantor in a Jewish synagogue, uprooted the family, as did many other Jewish families, after a violent attack (pogrom) destroyed their village. In 1893 they settled in New York City. According to his biographer, Laurence Bergreen, as an adult Berlin admitted to no memories of his first five years in Russia except for one: "he was lying on a blanket by the side of a road, watching his house burn to the ground. By daylight the house was in ashes."[4]:10
The new Tsar of Russia, notes Whitcomb, had revived with utmost brutality the anti-Jewish pogroms, which created the spontaneous mass exodus to America. The pogroms were to continue until 1906, and thousands of other families besides the Balines would also escape, including those of George and Ira Gershwin, Al Jolson, Sophie Tucker, L. Wolfe Gilbert ("Waiting for the Robert E. Lee"), Jack Yellen ("Happy Days Are Here Again"), and Louis B. Mayer (MGM).
My grandparents (on my father's side) probably came over in that migration.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I never said that you still had the same situation you had 40 years ago. Of course you dont. Cant you ever, ever please for a second stop thinking in extremes?
I said, that IMHO there is less in Europe than in the US. That does not mean that it is that bad at all, though, OK?
There is some residual stuff coming up everywhere every now and then. Heck, we saw some of it during the presidential campaign in the US and yes, every now and then some politician in Europe will let out a not so politically correct blurp, but that happens pretty much everywhere.
People are just like that, unfortunately. But in general, things are pretty good by now, I think. Personally I think that we are often seeing the opposite extreme actually, with political correctness taken over the top to the point of ridiculousness.
Anyway, so I did not mean any offense. I simply meant to say that we dont really have much racism in Europe anymore. The second part of the sentence (where I compared it to the US) was simply to emphasize how little we have.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:I never said that you still had the same situation you had 40 years ago. Of course you dont. Cant you ever, ever please for a second stop thinking in extremes?
I said, that IMHO there is less in Europe than in the US. That does not mean that it is that bad at all, though, OK?
There is some residual stuff coming up everywhere every now and then. Heck, we saw some of it during the presidential campaign in the US and yes, every now and then some politician in Europe will let out a not so politically correct blurp, but that happens pretty much everywhere.
People are just like that, unfortunately. But in general, things are pretty good by now, I think. Personally I think that we are often seeing the opposite extreme actually, with political correctness taken over the top to the point of ridiculousness.
Anyway, so I did not mean any offense. I simply meant to say that we dont really have much racism in Europe anymore. The second part of the sentence (where I compared it to the US) was simply to emphasize how little we have.
OK. I get your point.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

It has been my experience that Israelis are particularly obnoxious. And this coming from a Jew who is no stranger to arrogance.
I haven't known a lot of Israelis well, but I have heard this from non-Israeli Jews I do know well, including some who have worked in Israel for a bit. Of course, it will still depend on the person.