Waist deep in AGW

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

Post by seedload »

Josh Cryer wrote:Image
Quoting a chart created by a radical Creationist skeptic!?! What has this world come to?

seedload

Re: Weather or Climate

Post by seedload »

bcglorf wrote:Weather does not equal climate.
I am too cold, tired and sore to be able to comprehend your regurgitation of this talking point. Right now I am pretty sure that I have a glacier in my back yard. I am concerned about not falling in any cravasses when I walk my dog. And you want me to believe that this doesn't mean that we have started a new ice age. No, the world is ending. I have evidence. I averaged the depth of the snow in my yard for the last week, and the trend is obvious! I even chopped down a tree and the last ring in it is really really small. So take that!

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

seedload wrote:Quoting a chart created by a radical Creationist skeptic!?! What has this world come to?
:lol:

Ever since I found that I've been tracking it pretty much daily. I actually made a post on DU to continue tracking it.

It's a shame that other instruments don't have daily tracking that I know of (though the UAH graph is about one to two days behind, it is updated daily).

I'm glad it comes from UAH since UAH presents the lowest temperature increase of all the records (though it is in line with IPCC best estimate of .13C / decade).

BTW, if you're wondering, yes I still intend to reply to The Climate Skeptic. He gets paid for it, I don't. And I got bored of AGW discussion for awhile there. Still not really "in" to it at the moment.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Regarding weather and climate, I just had a revelation about Washington DC weather (and climate).

In 1990, a group of terrorists took over Dulles Airport in Washington DC. Their intricate plan included escaping across a frozen lake on snow mobiles. Clearly, in 1990, lakes in the Washington DC area routinely froze over often enough for safe transport of half a dozen snow mobiles or these brilliant terrorists would not have even considered this dramatic escape route. (I saw a documentary on this)

Today, despite the recent heavy snowfalls, lakes don't freeze over enough for snow mobile use in the DC area. Heck, almost everyone has sold off their snow mobiles in the last few decades and many DC snow mobile dealerships have gone under despite government bailout efforts.

Here is another example of the negative effects of AGW. Lake based snow mobile egress of terrorists from airport takeovers has been severely hampered.

Aero

Post by Aero »

The TV weatherman reported today that their is snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 states, with Hawaii snow unknown. That is, snow on the ground in all 48 CONUS states and of course, Alaska.

Do you suppose we can blame this on Bush and his failure to get behind AGW? Maybe Mother Nature is conspiring to punish us.
Aero

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would bet 50 of 50.
You can Ski on Mauna Kea in the winter. A little icy, and prone to sunburn if you don't use 50proof (lotion, not cocktail), but skiing non-the less.

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/ha ... onomy.cams

- you can see patches on the ground today. In March(ish) it gets decent coverage.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mauna-Kea

8)

Edit: corrected the forecast link
Last edited by ladajo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Seedload,

Living near DC as I do, I'm well familiar with the terrorist takeover of which you speak. That was actually at a very remote section of Dulles Airport, not frequented by most people, featuring a butt-ugly terminal building instead of the graceful and unique architecture the main terminal is known for. That part of the airport serves jets fueled by a mix of gasoline and nitroglycerine. It is way off in the hoolies, hence the arctic environment.

But I hear you ... I've spent the last week battling that glacier, and we just topped the all-time record for snowfall for one winter.

seedload

Post by seedload »

ladajo wrote:I would bet 50 of 50.
Don't you mean all 57 states?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I don't count districts and protectorates as states. Merely drains of state paid federal tax revenue.

Plus the Canadians get mad when you remind them they are a state. They tend to insist they are several states that are not so happy to associate with each other, but share a common liking of police on horses.
Now if DC would've had a horse-police station at the airport, those terrorists never would have made it across the lake.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom Ligon wrote:Living near DC as I do, I'm well familiar with the terrorist takeover of which you speak.
Die Hard 2???

TallDave

Re: Weather or Climate

Post by TallDave »

seedload wrote:I even chopped down a tree and the last ring in it is really really small. So take that!
Is that you Briffa?
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

KitemanSA,

Yeah, Die Hard 2. It was a comedy. I laughed my fanny off at the absolute technical stupidity of the thing.

I keep wishing they would hire me as a consultant for movies of this sort so I could save them from making an ass of themselves, but once they get it in their heads what special effects they want, they are not going to let some SF nerd tell them they're full of it.

I just wrote a scenario for a SIGMA project that might make a pretty good finale for an action-adventure movie, only mine could actually happen.

EricF

Post by EricF »

Tom Ligon wrote:KitemanSA,

Yeah, Die Hard 2. It was a comedy. I laughed my fanny off at the absolute technical stupidity of the thing.
Ugh, the Glock 7. Don't get me started :lol:

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

KitemanSA wrote:The curve SHOULD be the other way. Aphelion (furthest from the sun) occurs on July 4th with ~7% LESS input than perihelion of January 3rd. The GLOBAL temperature should definitely show warmer in the northern winter, not colder. SOMETHING is hosed.
Of course it is. The GHCN has been cherry picking surface stations since 1997, when they dumped 3/4 of the US surface stations data after 1990, including all of the synoptic reporting stations, in favor of CLIMAT reporting stations, which were proven to report temperatures 0.5C warmer on average.... Even so, most surface stations (80%) are in the northern hemisphere. The remaining surface stations are in urban areas and large airports, which exhibit significant urban heat island signal from growth and development (i.e. lots of blacktop and increasing numbers of jets idling in taxiways waiting for takeoff at overloaded airports, spewing hot jet exhaust on surface stations).

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »