So, Orion is back in

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MirariNefas

So, Orion is back in

Post by MirariNefas »

http://www.space.com/news/obama-space-p ... 00413.html

What the hell are they doing over there?

Hopefully they're still killing the Ares I. An Orion-based ship for the Delta IV seems like a good idea to me - the rocket exists and most of the work on the spacecraft is already done anyway. I think Bigelow has been looking at the idea too.

I'm disappointed that it's taking the administration so long to work out space policy. This does not seem to be an important issue to the president.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

The president's agenda is healthcare and "social justice" for all. Space program doesn't help that much with either goal.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I'm disappointed that it's taking the administration so long to work out space policy. This does not seem to be an important issue to the president.
The biggest problem has been congress with senators from certain states doing everything to keep the NASA government- money in their states to fund their space- dinosaurs.
I am very disappointed about this Orion compromise. I wanted to see it all go commercial.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

... I just want to see it (something) go!

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

... I just want to see it (something) go!

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Skipjack wrote:
The biggest problem has been congress with senators from certain states doing everything to keep the NASA government- money in their states to fund their space- dinosaurs.
I am very disappointed about this Orion compromise. I wanted to see it all go commercial.
So did I, but this throws a bone to the Senators, but leaves things in place so that SpaceX can blow Orion's doors off by getting Dragon man rated and in space long before Orion, and for far less money. Dragon has the same ECLSS capability as Orion will have, with ability to remain in space for 270 days.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

too bad its not THE Orion... (nuclear pulse propulsion)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

AcesHigh wrote:too bad its not THE Orion... (nuclear pulse propulsion)
That wa actully also my hope when I read the title of the post....

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Giorgio wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:too bad its not THE Orion... (nuclear pulse propulsion)
That wa actully also my hope when I read the title of the post....
LOL, if you look at Obama's nuclear materials control effort this week, you'll read about how his diplomats are going around the world, convincing all the countries that had accepted highly enriched uranium under the Atoms for Peace program in the 50's to either agree to a high and expensive level of security for the materials, or else turn them back over to the US for safe keeping.

The Chileans already gave us theirs during the earthquake there, there was enough for a bomb there, the material was shipped out in two shipments on separate ships.

I've read that theres enough HEU in various research reactors under the Atoms for Peace program to make 400 bombs. As I recall its 80% enriched.

What would be lulzy is if Obama collects all this uranium and, given theres no place to put it (Yucca Mt was closed) he proposes we build a Orion style ship in orbit for interplanetary transport.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

He had to throw the jobs program a bone, since they were making such a big deal out of cancelling Cx (which itself was a jobs program that would have grounded the NASA manned program for nearly 20 years).
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.