Another example of Rep idiocy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Another example of Rep idiocy

Post by Skipjack »

Science and education are the two most important things, if you want your nation to be competitive. The reps dont get it. Stuff like that makes them unvotable for someone like me. What a bunch of fools!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... petes-act/

Diogenes

Re: Another example of Rep idiocy

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:Science and education are the two most important things, if you want your nation to be competitive. The reps dont get it. Stuff like that makes them unvotable for someone like me. What a bunch of fools!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... petes-act/
Actually, you voting for anyone in this country is a federal crime. It is also a crime for you to send them any money.

Apart from that, the fact that you didn't even bother to find out why the Republicans were against it means that you have exactly zero objectivity on this issue.

On a separate subject, I notice you had no response to my post about Texas Doctors dropping medicare coverage. Didn't see that one coming did you?

:)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Actually, you voting for anyone in this country is a federal crime.
I cant, but my wife can. I might be able to one day.
Apart from that, the fact that you didn't even bother to find out why the Republicans were against it means that you have exactly zero objectivity on this issue.
I did, it was stupidity.
On a separate subject, I notice you had no response to my post about Texas Doctors dropping medicare coverage.
That much stupidity just left me speachless.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
Actually, you voting for anyone in this country is a federal crime.
I cant, but my wife can. I might be able to one day.
Well, with the attitude you've displayed so far, we'd rather that you stayed in Austria and pay for the social spending of the Greeks, the Spanish, the Italians, etc. You just need to work harder to support what you believe in. :)

Skipjack wrote:[
I did, it was stupidity.

If you think it's stupid, we must be doing something right. :) One question though, how did we ever have scientists before this "competes" act?
Skipjack wrote:
On a separate subject, I notice you had no response to my post about Texas Doctors dropping medicare coverage.
That much stupidity just left me speachless.

It would be better for us all if you were speechless BEFORE you said something stupid.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well, with the attitude you've displayed so far, we'd rather that you stayed in Austria and pay for the social spending of the Greeks, the Spanish, the Italians, etc. You just need to work harder to support what you believe in.
First, luckily it is not your decision whether I get to immigrate to the US or not. Since Texas was my destination of choice and the texans have gone overboard with stupid lately, I am actually reconsidering the far goal of moving to the US. At least not with the current attitude displayed by some folks.
On the matter of Italians, Greeks, etc. Trust me, I am absolutely against those Greeks getting any money. Had it been my decision they would have neve joined the EU. They are a lazy and careless people. I would rather have th Turks in the EU. At least they are clean and know how to take care of their stuff.
IIRC, among the main reasons for the Greeks and the Italians joining the EU was lobbying made by the NATO.
Either way, I would have never let them in. The Italians are little better.
Traitors in two world wars and not good allies to the US either (see Achille Lauro incident). Plus, they have the same attitude as the greeks towards work and cleanliness. The only exeption are the northern Italians, but they are more German/Tirolean by genetics.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

It would be better for us all if you were speechless BEFORE you said something stupid.
Yeah because you are spreading the wisdom constantly, dude.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

One question though, how did we ever have scientists before this "competes" act?
You have some scientists, yes. But you dont have enough. You need more and more well educated people if you want to stay competitive on the market. That is especially the case, since you are putting most of your production abroad. To ensure a positive cash flow, you need to export something of higher value than manufactured goods. That would be Know How e.g. and for that you need science. If you cant follow me on that, then this discussion is over.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
One question though, how did we ever have scientists before this "competes" act?
You have some scientists, yes. But you dont have enough. You need more and more well educated people if you want to stay competitive on the market. That is especially the case, since you are putting most of your production abroad. To ensure a positive cash flow, you need to export something of higher value than manufactured goods. That would be Know How e.g. and for that you need science. If you cant follow me on that, then this discussion is over.
The fault in your thinking is that government programs = more scientists. This is the same fallacy that is applied to education in general in this country. I've read several articles which point out that the quality of education in America is inversely proportional to the quantity of money spent on it.

I am all for having more scientists and science minded people, I just don't think that the answer to any problem (except how to employ otherwise useless bureaucrats) is creating a government program.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
Yeah because you are spreading the wisdom constantly, dude.
Gee, I thought you hadn't noticed. :)

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Skipjack wrote:They are a lazy and careless people. I would rather have th Turks in the EU. At least they are clean and know how to take care of their stuff.
IIRC, among the main reasons for the Greeks and the Italians joining the EU was lobbying made by the NATO.
Traitors in two world wars and not good allies to the US either (see Achille Lauro incident). Plus, they have the same attitude as the greeks towards work and cleanliness. The only exeption are the northern Italians, but they are more German/Tirolean by genetics.
I'd pay money to see you use these kind of stereotyping generalizations with U.S. demographics.
Perrin Ehlinger

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I've read several articles which point out that the quality of education in America is inversely proportional to the quantity of money spent on it.
Hmm, so according to your logic, ivy league universities (which are very expensive) would be worse than a community colleges. Now, there may be quite good community colleges somewhere in the US, but they are not really a match....
I am all for having more scientists and science minded people
Ok, so we at least have a basis for this conversation :)

I just don't think that the answer to any problem (except how to employ otherwise useless bureaucrats) is creating a government program.
I may not even be completely in disagreement with you here. But then the Reps are pushing to have billions spent on expensive government space transport systems with the argument of this getting the US some mysterious lead in space technology (which it does not, since the tech is 60ies tech and that is only one of many reasons).
The general idea of the compete programme was still a good one though and I really hate the way the Reps killed it too. It was an act established (one of the few good ones) by the Bush administration, btw.
Also, this act had bipartisan support and the support of more than 750 organisations (Chamber of Commerce, the National Association of Manufacturers, the Business Roundtable, the Council on Competitiveness, the Association of American Universities, the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, the National Venture Capital Association, TechAmerica, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, the American Chemical Society, etc, etc).
It all still seems very silly to me.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I'd pay money to see you use these kind of stereotyping generalizations with U.S. demographics.
I am not going to do that of course, but if you had ever been to Greece and Italy, you may. It is dirty there and they are not taking care of their cultural heritage (but get EU money to do so). The fact that despite tons of money from the EU, they have barely made any progress is also speaking for itself.
Also, it was Diogenes, who called me to
stayed in Austria and pay for the social spending of the Greeks, the Spanish, the Italians, etc.
Now, why do I have to give away my tax money to them? They have been in the EU longer than Austria has been, so it cant be that they are somehow disadvantaged, can it? So why does their economy suck? The Italians got good parts of Austria. They have access to the sea, we dont, they have natural resources, we dont. They have a much favorable climate. They have the better land. Yet their economy sucks.
Last edited by Skipjack on Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
Well, with the attitude you've displayed so far, we'd rather that you stayed in Austria and pay for the social spending of the Greeks, the Spanish, the Italians, etc. You just need to work harder to support what you believe in.
First, luckily it is not your decision whether I get to immigrate to the US or not. Since Texas was my destination of choice and the texans have gone overboard with stupid lately, I am actually reconsidering the far goal of moving to the US. At least not with the current attitude displayed by some folks.

I burn with a great and deep burning passion to hear how, pray tell, the Texans have gone overboard with stupid lately? Last I checked, they were one of the States in the Union that was actually experiencing fiscal soundness and population growth. As a matter of fact, they did something exceedingly brilliant recently, and something for which I was waiting for just such an opportunity as this to present.

Now if you had mentioned a bastion of Liberalism like California, or New York, or Massachusetts, or Michigan, then I could understand such a remark, because the height of stupidity is over reaching and not being able to pay your own bills. (et tu Euro-Greece?)
Skipjack wrote: On the matter of Italians, Greeks, etc. Trust me, I am absolutely against those Greeks getting any money. Had it been my decision they would have neve joined the EU. They are a lazy and careless people. I would rather have th Turks in the EU. At least they are clean and know how to take care of their stuff.

Funny, I feel the same way about the Californians vs the Texans. :) From time to time there are various people suggesting that all the LIberals take the West coast and the Northeast coast, and leave the rest of us alone. We could become the United States of Greater Texas! :)

Skipjack wrote: IIRC, among the main reasons for the Greeks and the Italians joining the EU was lobbying made by the NATO.

Ooooohhh... what you said! That sort of talk would get you keel hauled here in the liberal parts of America. The non liberal parts would just be embarrassed to be seen with someone who said stuff like that.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scupperer wrote:
Skipjack wrote:They are a lazy and careless people. I would rather have th Turks in the EU. At least they are clean and know how to take care of their stuff.
That's what *I* said. Those sort of comments in New York or Washington would have Liberals demanding that you be waterboarded! Or worse, undergo sensitivity training.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

burn with a great and deep burning passion to hear how, pray tell, the Texans have gone overboard with stupid lately?
Well for starters, this act was shot down due to language added by Rep. Ralph Hall from (surprise) Texas.
Second: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... w-history/
And that is just the latest in a long run of the Texas BoE attacks on science and history.