2010:warmest year ever since records began

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Betruger wrote:
MSimon wrote: When the money gets serious it takes precedence over morals.
Let's hope it does come to that kind of pragmatism. Just like in real wars: it doesn't matter how unorthodox the method, only that it gets things done.

They extracted a lot of wealth when they processed all of those people back in Germany right after Kristalnacht. Yeah, that separating money from morals was a great idea! You gotta admit, that was a pretty unorthodox method, but it DID get things done!

Be careful what you wish for. Morality isn't a joke. It's what keeps humanity alive, though most don't realize it.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I have not noticed it being the hottest year. Also for who? The Aussies have winter now. Is their winter warmer than usual as well?
Anyway, we had a few very hot days, but then it got really cold and rainy for this time of the year. In fact we had a few days that felt more like October than July/August.
So, I dont quite know where they get their measurement data from. I think their claims were premature and their extrapolations outright wrong. Sensationalism is unfortunately finding its place in science too these days. It is a strange symptom for the issues in the western society that people have this strange urge for sensations and extremes...

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Diogenes wrote:They extracted a lot of wealth when they processed all of those people back in Germany right after Kristalnacht. Yeah, that separating money from morals was a great idea! You gotta admit, that was a pretty unorthodox method, but it DID get things done!
Kinda like the current drug assets forfeiture laws! Separating property from due process is a great idea!

http://biggovernment.com/bewing/2010/08 ... our-state/

http://reason.com/archives/2010/01/26/t ... ure-racket

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-ma-hy.html

But they're just j... err.... drug users. What do we care?
Perrin Ehlinger

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scupperer wrote:
Diogenes wrote:They extracted a lot of wealth when they processed all of those people back in Germany right after Kristalnacht. Yeah, that separating money from morals was a great idea! You gotta admit, that was a pretty unorthodox method, but it DID get things done!
Kinda like the current drug assets forfeiture laws! Separating property from due process is a great idea!

http://biggovernment.com/bewing/2010/08 ... our-state/

http://reason.com/archives/2010/01/26/t ... ure-racket

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-ma-hy.html

But they're just j... err.... drug users. What do we care?

On this I agree. They are mucking up far more important principles in an effort to assert lesser principles. Due process is more important than interdiction. People are losing sight of the goal, and need to be reined in.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:I have not noticed it being the hottest year. Also for who? The Aussies have winter now. Is their winter warmer than usual as well?
Anyway, we had a few very hot days, but then it got really cold and rainy for this time of the year. In fact we had a few days that felt more like October than July/August.
So, I dont quite know where they get their measurement data from. I think their claims were premature and their extrapolations outright wrong. Sensationalism is unfortunately finding its place in science too these days. It is a strange symptom for the issues in the western society that people have this strange urge for sensations and extremes...

Skipjack, you need to get with the program! This discussion isn't about global warming, it's about Drugs, and how some people think we'd all be better off if we opened the flood gates to drug addiction. Crime would disappear overnight! The National Debt would be paid off with all the savings!

:)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Q: How do you know someone has lost an arguement?
A: He starts making nonsense statements like this!
Diogenes wrote: Skipjack, you need to get with the program! This discussion isn't about global warming, it's about Drugs, and how some people think we'd all be better off if we opened the flood gates to drug addiction. Crime would disappear overnight! The National Debt would be paid off with all the savings!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Skipjack, you need to get with the program! This discussion isn't about global warming, it's about Drugs, and how some people think we'd all be better off if we opened the flood gates to drug addiction. Crime would disappear overnight! The National Debt would be paid off with all the savings!
I chose to ignore this part of the thread. It aint good for my heart.
All I can say is that legalization of prostitution here has not done away with forced prostitution, human trafficking, or pimps in my country. It has not resulted in a reduction of it either. On the contrary. The only result that we have had from it, is that scumbag pimps are now appearing on national TV and the opera ball as part of the "high society". They are called "night club owners" then. So, why would it be any different with drugs? I dont think anything would change, only that the biggest drug dealers would get their part as role models on the liberal national TV here.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Skipjack wrote: All I can say is that legalization of prostitution here has not done away with forced prostitution, human trafficking, or pimps in my country.
Skipjack,
Would you please put where you are from in your profile so folks will know where "here" is? Do I recall correctly that it is Austria?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yes, Austria. I am sorry. I like to keep my privacy, but in this case you are of course right, I should have mentioned it.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:Q: How do you know someone has lost an arguement?
A: He starts making nonsense statements like this!
Diogenes wrote: Skipjack, you need to get with the program! This discussion isn't about global warming, it's about Drugs, and how some people think we'd all be better off if we opened the flood gates to drug addiction. Crime would disappear overnight! The National Debt would be paid off with all the savings!
I thought turnabout was fair play? I've been getting that sort of overreaching nonsense (when describing my position) from your side all through the discussion. Sure, MSimon's assertions don't go as far as I jokingly implied, but they are in the same direction. He seriously thinks that a large part of crime is due to drug interdiction, and that we would be able to save a huge amount of money by legalizing drugs.

I think that is nothing but a pipe dream. (Pipe dream! Get it? :) )
Last edited by Diogenes on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
I chose to ignore this part of the thread. It aint good for my heart.
All I can say is that legalization of prostitution here has not done away with forced prostitution, human trafficking, or pimps in my country. It has not resulted in a reduction of it either. On the contrary. The only result that we have had from it, is that scumbag pimps are now appearing on national TV and the opera ball as part of the "high society". They are called "night club owners" then. So, why would it be any different with drugs? I dont think anything would change, only that the biggest drug dealers would get their part as role models on the liberal national TV here.

You shouldn't get too worked up about an argument on the internet. At some point you just have to shake your head and go on. I have found in the course of my internet travels, all manner of people who believe all manner of peculiar things. Some of them are quite intelligent and competent, but you get them on some particular issue, and you've entered "The twilight zone." :)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

On the original topic of this thread:

Where I live, central California, we're having a summer far cooler than normal. The last month has had temperatures more typical of April.

On the hijacking topic:

California may be expanding it's uncontrolled experiment on drug legalization soon. Like so many other facets of traditional morality, the locals are abandoning the view of illicit drugs as harmful.

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

Wandering Kernel of Happiness

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

MSimon wrote: In God's Law (which has been perverted by man) vice is a crime. We go against God's law only at our own peril.

As soon as we find out which is the right God and whose book it should be interpreted by we can fix this problem for once and for all. I can't wait for that glorious day. I propose a return to the old time religion. If it was good enough for Jesus it is good enough for me.
/sarc
In UK "the old-time religion" was druidism - still quite popular here, though in a very bastardised and watered down form. In US it was probably some native american naturalistic religion? In Middle East it would have been Judaism (though yet older polytheistic religions might have some claim as well)

Tom

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You are already counting the benefits of your social engineering scheme.
The social engineering scheme (it was championed by the Progressives of the time which ought to give you a clue) is prohibition.

So unengineering is now called engineering? I'm going to have to learn me more of that there New Speak language so we can communicate properly.

As to the benefits? I just look at alcohol prohibition and extrapolate. Or maybe extrapolate from Portugal. Or Switzerland.

If I were a betting man I'd bet you are outraged at municipal pensions. Now if you want to reduce those you are going to have to reduce manpower. And the easiest thing to do is to stop doing what isn't working. Alcohol prohibition didn't work. Drug prohibition is not working. Kids can get illegal drugs easier than they can get a beer.

Based on your own anecdotes the drug war isn't working. What ever bad you saw wasn't prevented by the drug laws.
Prohibition is an awful flop.
We like it.
It can't stop what it's meant to stop.
We like it.
It's left a trail of graft and slime,
It won't prohibit worth a dime,
It's filled our land with vice and crime.
Nevertheless, we're for it.

Franklin P. Adams, 1931
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.