Topic Drift, is it really a problem on Talk-Polywell?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Does thread (topic) drift influence your opinion about Polywell fusion?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Yes
No votes
No
18%
Yes, I would prefer threads to stay on topic
35%
No, I enjoy the wide latitude of information covered
47%
Talk-Polywell should be re-named to more accurately describe the subject mater
No votes

Total votes: 17

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

I don't see an option that combines "No" and "I would prefer threads to stay on topic".

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

TDPerk wrote:It should be noted the thread in question was first talked to death about what was relevant, and then was bombed by chrismb--
It's a pretty common occurrence. There's definitely some amusement value to seeing by far the worst behaved commenter on here exhibit the lack of self-awareness necessary to actually complain about the deficiencies of others' behavior in the same thread that he posts things like that last post, but on the whole it's easy enough to just ignore his incivility. He does manage to contribute some interesting things when he's not in the thrall of Asperger's or whatever.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

TallDave wrote:
TDPerk wrote:It should be noted the thread in question was first talked to death about what was relevant, and then was bombed by chrismb--
It's a pretty common occurrence. There's definitely some amusement value to seeing by far the worst behaved commenter on here exhibit the lack of self-awareness necessary to actually complain about the deficiencies of others' behavior in the same thread that he posts things like that last post, but on the whole it's easy enough to just ignore his incivility. He does manage to contribute some interesting things when he's not in the thrall of Asperger's or whatever.
You can keep plugging away at me all you like, but I just wonder what kind of response you are actually seeking here. It seems to me that you are actually wanting to get a rise from me (and others). Do you have some form of inferiority issue? What outcome are you seeking by making that kind of statement?

If you make sure you post 'news' in 'news', then I would have no comment to make and therefore your own comment is baseless excepting for actions which you, yourself, have taken.

So, what outcome are you actually after, here?

rcain

Post by rcain »

this thread is quite hillarious! :)

at this point, i would like to be the first to mention Hitler, the Natzis and WWII.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

And it's rcain pulling off the rare unassisted triple reverse Godwin! That's going to score high, folks. :lol:
-------
Chris, at the risk of merely feeding you, but since you asked, and this is an appropriate forum -- you consistently belittle people who disagree with you and make offensive characterizations, and I'd like you to stop doing that. I don't want to hear your wonderful explanations of why your insults are well-founded and how we're all just too dumb to follow them -- they're beside the point. I just want you to show a little respect to others. Frankly, I'm not sure you're capable of being consistently civil, so I tend to ignore you rather than voice objections that fall on deaf ears and waste forum space that could be put to a less futile use. But if you're going to complain about aspects of TP you don't like, I feel obligated to point out your own behavior isn't exactly making a better TP for us all. Maybe a couple dozen people throw News topics into politics, but you're about the only person who makes every forum you post in somewhat more difficult to get through.
-------
Now, since enough people find it objectionable, I think most of us politically-minded people are willing to attempt to keep politics out of News, and I think that can be done with some restraint on our parts -- rather than respond directly to political assertions in News, we can just point out that they don't belong there and limit the response to the effect that whatever political team the offender is playing for is demonstrating its inferiority by not playing by those rules.

If enough of us are willing to support the Tripartisan Inter-TalkPolywell Nonproliferation Pact to Keep Politics Out of News, it should succeed.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Its caused by the drug war and the constant conflict between libertarians and control freaks (social conservatives).
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

TallDave wrote:rather than respond directly to political assertions in News, we can just point out that they don't belong there and limit the response to the effect that whatever political team the offender is playing for is demonstrating its inferiority by not playing by those rules.

If enough of us are willing to support the Tripartisan Inter-TalkPolywell Nonproliferation Pact to Keep Politics Out of News, it should succeed.
I for one welcome our new News Police Overlords.
/me warms up the megaphone
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

TITPNP, is that anything like a Titbit?