Republicans unanimously vote to continue OIL subsidies

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

UncleMatt wrote:If I expect someone else to pay my own tax bill, that is lawfully levied upon me, am I being a responsible citizen? As a taxpayer, am I allowed to simply pass on any tax burden I do not want to pay to other entities in the economy? If not, why not? That is exactly what many posting here want companies to be able to do, pass the buck when it comes to their OWN TAX LIABILITY! If that isn't okay for individuals, its not okay for companies either! A company's taxes should be paid OUT OF PROFIT just like individuals are required to do.

And the idea that a company can simply increase prices to escape its own taxation is simply and patently FALSE! If a company attempts to raise prices to pass on taxation, and there is insufficient demand to allow for that is the marketplace, that company will lose sales and profits, not gain anything at all. Econ 101!

And its so obvious and transparent, the continous self-serving mis-characterizations of taxation as "theft" that reveal that often people's personal agendas take precedence over facts and practical realities...

Where we differ, is that I don't agree that others have the right to my money just because they say so. Some level of taxation is reasonable. (In my opinion the MAXIMUM reasonable amount of tax money is 10% of my income.) Beyond the reasonable limit, government is NOT entitled to my money.

Taxation beyond 10% IS theft
. It's really that simple.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

UncleMatt wrote:
Diogenes wrote:What subsidies are "Big Oil" getting?

Please explain.
Oh right, subsidies are merely a figment of people's imaginations, right? (rolls eyes) If that is the case, then what were all these elected officals voting on then?????

Again, trying to define everything in self serving ways in an attempt to promote an agenda is a very transparent and see-through tactic.

And if subsidies are just fine for oil and gas companies, then they are JUST FINE for solar and wind companies AS WELL. True or false? You can't have it one way one second, and then expect people to accept your about-face in another second as valid.

Dude, I just asked WHAT subsidies are they getting? Where is the Government writing a check to the oil companies?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have not taken the time yet to dig into how much of my taxes currently go to "wealth redistirbution" initiatives via federal government. But it would not surprise me to find that the Government could run very well on a national flat tax of 10% or less if we get programs under control or even eliminated.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:I have not taken the time yet to dig into how much of my taxes currently go to "wealth redistirbution" initiatives via federal government. But it would not surprise me to find that the Government could run very well on a national flat tax of 10% or less if we get programs under control or even eliminated.

If the government restricted itself to only doing those things for which it was properly constituted we could easily operate on 10% of the National income. The people who wouldn't like it are those who have been using the treasury as their own personal piggy bank.

Government, Least of all the FEDERAL Government, has no business managing retirements for the USA (Social Security) nor should it be involved with mitigating the circumstances of the poor, (Medicare, Welfare) nor should it be playing favoritism games with the Tax Code, or Public Broadcasting, nor should it be involved in Education, etc.

In essence, the Federal government should restrict itself to National De fence, and mitigating disputes between the states. If ANY of that other stuff should be done by government, at the very least it should be done by individual STATE governments.

But I think too many people out there really don't understand the concept of FEDERALISM. (Present addressee excluded of course. :) )
— Lord Melbourne —

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

http://cleantech.com/news/node/554
My name is kunkmiester and I did not thoroughly review the link, but found it on the first page googling "oil subsidies."
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Of course Republicans never have any problem with defence spending. After all that cant possibly be "wasteful government spending", can it?
The republicans are just as much wasteful spenders are the Dems, they just waste the money on other things.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:Of course Republicans never have any problem with defence spending. After all that cant possibly be "wasteful government spending", can it?
The republicans are just as much wasteful spenders are the Dems, they just waste the money on other things.

Sarcasm is unbecoming of you. Of course defense spending CAN be wasteful, but as wasteful as it has ever been throughout the entire history of the United States, It is still a better value for the money than the TRILLIONS we have spent on the WAR ON POVERTY, and other crap.

You see, Defense spending is EXPLICITLY mandated by our Charter, the U.S. Constitution, while most everything else is made up phony baloney fairy tale justification based on the "Promote the General Welfare" clause.

If 50% of every defense dollar spent was wasted, at least we bought 50% worth of defense out of it. We got 100% WASTE on the other programs! Even worse, entitlement programs are what is KILLING us now, so we got MORE than 100% waste, we probably got a MILLION percent waste when you factor in the synergistic wastes caused by empowering people to generate more wasteful entitlement spending.

Democrat Lyndon Baines Johnson's Great Society "War on Poverty" is over, and POVERTY WON. We are ALL about to be poor because spending on the poor (entitlements) is what has brought us down.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

kunkmiester wrote:http://cleantech.com/news/node/554
My name is kunkmiester and I did not thoroughly review the link, but found it on the first page googling "oil subsidies."

Did you read the bullet points at the link? Not a single one of them mentions U.S. Tax dollars being paid to oil companies.

It may surprise you to know that people who claim the oil companies are receiving subsidies are LYING. They are equating the word "Subsidy" with the belief that Oil companies are not paying enough taxes.

You see, they start off with the premise that the money belongs to the government, and the oil companies, by not paying as much taxes as these people THINK they should be paying, they are therefore receiving "subsidies" from the taxpayers.

Now, *I* start off with the premise that people's money and property belong to THEM! Not the government. As a result of this perspective, I don't regard allowing someone to keep their own money or property as being the same thing as "Subsidizing" them.

The Government is NOT entitled to money that does not belong to it. It may only lay claim to a reasonable amount (10% maximum) of people's incomes to support the common needs of a nation.
— Lord Melbourne —

Roger

Post by Roger »

Effective top personal rates have floated around 28% to 36% since 1980, regardless of the published rate 70% to 28%. When you look at effective tax rates, Ind, Estate, Cap Gains, I dont think any of the effective rates are any where near 10% except possibly the corporate effective rates.

China spends 9% on infrastructure we spend 2.4%, in a 15 trillion dollar economy thats (9%) about 1.35 trillion. If we taxed our ENTIRE national GDP at a flat rate with NO EXEMPTIONS or deductions, @ 10% that yields 1.5 trillion.

I dont see how 10% is viable.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The problem is that defense contracts are used by republicans as government funded job programmes. Efficiency is sacrificed for jobs and money.
I dont see that much difference to programmes trying to fight poverty more directly.
Now, I am NOT a big fan of redistribution of wealth. However, there are people that got into a bad place without this being their fault and I think that it is wrong to just drop them and let them rott in some corner.
There should be stricter rules for this though.
Personally I dont think that government funded pension is a good idea.
I do not mind healthcare though, as previously discussed.

UncleMatt

Post by UncleMatt »

Ivy Matt wrote:I think calling taxation "theft" is a bit melodramatic. However, taxation is most certainly a form of coercion.
You are free to move to ANY country you want to. Is that true or false?

How, then, are you being "coerced" if you pay taxes where you VOLUNTARILY live?

You are free to move to any country, or state, you want, with the kind of taxation you want. That is a simple truth that so many who claim taxes are "coercion" just ignore...

I am no more "coerced" to pay my taxes than I am "coerced" to pay for a good or service in the private market.

UncleMatt

Post by UncleMatt »

Diogenes wrote:Dude, I just asked WHAT subsidies are they getting? Where is the Government writing a check to the oil companies?
You keep trying to characterize things in ways that FEEDS YOUR AGENDA, but don't address or describe REALITY. Won't work with me, but it might on somebody else...

Oil companies OWE taxes just like everyone else. When politicians decide who the "winners and losers" will be by giving tax subsidies to SOME companies, but not ALL companies, they reveal they are more focused on benefiting one group THAN ANOTHER. That is a form of social engineering. This is especially true as they scream from the top of their lungs about deficits and spending, and then turn around and give the farm away to companies making more profits than ANY COMPANIES IN HISTORY!!!!! (but then complain about the subsidies that solar and wind get, even though they are a pittance in comparison.)

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

UncleMatt wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Dude, I just asked WHAT subsidies are they getting? Where is the Government writing a check to the oil companies?
You keep trying to characterize things in ways that FEEDS YOUR AGENDA, but don't address or describe REALITY. Won't work with me, but it might on somebody else...

Oil companies OWE taxes just like everyone else. When politicians decide who the "winners and losers" will be by giving tax subsidies to SOME companies, but not ALL companies, they reveal they are more focused on benefiting one group THAN ANOTHER. That is a form of social engineering. This is especially true as they scream from the top of their lungs about deficits and spending, and then turn around and give the farm away to companies making more profits than ANY COMPANIES IN HISTORY!!!!! (but then complain about the subsidies that solar and wind get, even though they are a pittance in comparison.)
Dio's question is perfectly legitimate. There is no 'natural debt' to the government in the form of taxes. Taxes are a means to gather revenue, and it is for the government to decide where to minimise the impact of that taxation. This is not subsidy in the way I understand it. I understand 'subsidy' to mean handing over to someone a grant for something.

Maybe I have mis-undersood 'subsidy'?
Definition of SUBSIDY
: a grant or gift of money: as a : a sum of money formerly granted by the British Parliament to the crown and raised by special taxation b : money granted by one state to another c : a grant by a government to a private person or company to assist an enterprise deemed advantageous to the public
Nope.... Doesn't look like it's me, but it does seems clear one of us has....

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Roger wrote:Effective top personal rates have floated around 28% to 36% since 1980, regardless of the published rate 70% to 28%. When you look at effective tax rates, Ind, Estate, Cap Gains, I dont think any of the effective rates are any where near 10% except possibly the corporate effective rates.

China spends 9% on infrastructure we spend 2.4%, in a 15 trillion dollar economy thats (9%) about 1.35 trillion. If we taxed our ENTIRE national GDP at a flat rate with NO EXEMPTIONS or deductions, @ 10% that yields 1.5 trillion.

I dont see how 10% is viable.
Your point is interesting and is not easily answered. I would suggest the possibility that were more people allowed to keep and spend their own money (by keeping tax rates low) then our economy might be substantially larger, and therefore the total money yield would be greater even with a lower percentage of taxation.

As I'm fond of using China's experience as an example of what happens when highly addictive drugs are commonplace, I would like to use Hong Kong as an example of what happens when you have a 10% tax rate. Now I haven't researched this recently, but if I recall, Hong Kong (before capitalism took off in China) was responsible for something like 1/5th of the ENTIRE income of China, and furthermore, it's government had so much money that they could afford to DROP a huge chunk of the population off of the tax roles. Indeed, it became a matter of social status to be able to brag that one payed taxes.

Apart from that, there is another factor in this equation. The issue of fairness. (Hold on to your hat, here comes the anecdote. :) )

Years ago, I had a discussion with one of the Directors in the Local City Government ( He ran the Computer Services/911 dispatch dept.) and I mentioned that the City's water bill was completely unfair. $50.00/ month whether you use it or not. He explained that it was NOT a water bill, but a City Services bill which included Garbage collection and Sewage as well as water. I asked him why, if this were so, did they only shut off the water when you didn't pay it?

Anyway, I asked how they set the rate. He said it worked like this. "First you have to figure out how much money the City needs, then you divide it by the Number of accounts, and then you charge each account the amount necessary to reach your budget figure in a years time.

In other words, They decide how much they're gonna spend, then make everybody pay them the amount they decided on.

I asked him why couldn't you set the rate at fair market value, then make the City Government live within the amount of money this yields? He thought the idea was preposterous, and refused to discuss the issue with me further.

That, my friend, is the problem with the mindset of government employees. The thought of fiscal restraint is simply alien to most who work in Government. In the meantime, they spent half a million dollars planting trees and bushes in the middle of a major boulevard, all of which died because there was no way to water them during our drought like summers. I could go on an on about the idiocy of our local city government, (and the state) but I think you get the idea.
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I am all for low taxes.
IMHO the most important duties of a government are:
Protection of its people to the outside (military) AND the inside (police, legal system). This has been a principle of state for centuries.
I know a lot of republicans are probably going to nod in agreement now.
However, I see "protection" going a little further than just armed protection.
I also like to include protection against fire (firefighters).
And at least to me this also includes a functioning healthcare system.
If you have a lot of sick people roaming the streets, begging to healthy ones for money so they can get treatment, you have a receipe for desaster.
Malnourishment will also let diseases get a foothold in the population more easily. The big flu epidemic in the beginning of the 20th century was made much worse by widespready malnourishment in the population.
Vaccination has to be made available to everyone in the population to facilitate herd immunity. There are many people that can not get vaccinated or on which the vaccination wont work.
Examples for this are infants that are to young to be vaccinated and people with a damaged immune system (cancer patients, transplant patients, patient with certain diseases). They are all sufficiently protected if at least 80% of the population have immunity (herd immunity).
So providing a system for healthcare and wellfare is to some extent protection to the inside.
To me this sums up the most basic of all duties of the government.
Now some things are a bit of a grey area. Education, e.g.
If you make sure your people are well educated, they are easier to protect. E.g. a well educated soldier will most likely do a better job than someone who can count 2 and 2 together.
Especially todays military jobs do require highly trained personell. If only your rich people have an education, you wont get very far. To few people and as we all know, they are usually not to eager to join the military (they would rather let the poor do that for them).
Education can also help with protection to the inside. Someone who is educated enough to have a perspective for his future, will most likely not sacrifice that perspective by breaking the law. This of course only applies to those that are criminals by circumstance and not by genetics.
So education can be important for protection, if only in a wider sense.
And so things keep going on and on.
Ideally the government would not need any taxes at all in order to do that.
After all, it used to have (and sometimes still has) a lot of property that has value and that should make money. Unfortunately the government is also inefficient and that is where the biggest problem lies (in every country).
IMHO, the US has to many politicians to begin with. Having a house and a congress makes the government very riggid and inflexible. Bills are prone to have inefficiencies and compromises inserted into them in order to pas both instances. That allone costs your country billions.
Then you have the same thing again on a state level...