The Man From Chicago ne (Hawaii)

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

Post by seedload »

Diogenes wrote: It's a thing called "Original Intent." It is a bedrock principle of Conservative Philosophy. The intended purpose of Article II is to prevent a President of divided allegiance. Constitutional provisions remain in effect till repealed or amended, no matter how old they are.
It is an established maxim, that birth is a criterion of allegiance. Birth, however, derives its force sometimes from place, and sometimes from parentage; but, in general place is the most certain criterion; it is what applies in the United States.
- James Madison

Shall we begin the dueling "intent" wars or just agree that, in this case, the intent is not clear.

My take is that "natural born" is just a distinction between citizen at birth and naturalized citizen.

regards

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

seedload wrote:
Diogenes wrote: It's a thing called "Original Intent." It is a bedrock principle of Conservative Philosophy. The intended purpose of Article II is to prevent a President of divided allegiance. Constitutional provisions remain in effect till repealed or amended, no matter how old they are.
It is an established maxim, that birth is a criterion of allegiance. Birth, however, derives its force sometimes from place, and sometimes from parentage; but, in general place is the most certain criterion; it is what applies in the United States.
- James Madison

Shall we begin the dueling "intent" wars or just agree that, in this case, the intent is not clear.

My take is that "natural born" is just a distinction between citizen at birth and naturalized citizen.

regards

I've covered this before. Not sure if it was with you or someone else, but i'll reiterate a few points.

The discussion this quote comes from is a dispute regarding a man that was born in South Carolina to British Parents (Who died prior to Independence) and was sent to England as a child, where he remained for many years. Only returning some short time before running for a house seat.
Madison was not arguing that this man be seated as President, but rather as a representative of the State of South Carolina. Madison further argues that the man's family and estate are all in South Carolina, making him part of that community.

In the 1700s, being born IN a place was essentially the same thing as being part of that community. This business of transients giving birth in America was relatively rare in those days. Even so, had Mr. Smith of South Carolina (the gentlemen whom the quote is about) had a Spanish Father, Madison would not have been able to rescue him with his proffered opinion. By the same token, were he running for President, this tactic also would have failed.

Even so, Madison concedes that criterion of Allegiance "derives its force sometimes from place, and sometimes from parentage." When would Allegiance be derived from Parentage?

When your parents are slaves or Indians. Apparently "Place" had no bearing on citizenship for these. Madison is obviously wrong when it came to these.

Madison expresses one opinion in a minor dispute regarding a member of the House. Even so, the Constitution was approved by ALL of the Delegates and then by 3/4ths of the State Legislatures. It is but one opinion of many, which is self evidently wrong when applied to others born here, and misapplied regarding Article II at that.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Dr. David Ramsey was a Delegate and signator of the U.S. Constitution.He was also a Historian held in high regard by the other founders.

He wrote a treatise on Citizenship in 1789 called:

A Dissertation on the Manners of Acquiring the Character and Privileges of a Citizen

Quotes from this treatise:

“[c]itizenship is the inheritance of the children of those who have taken part in the late revolution; but this is confined exclusively to the children of those who were themselves citizens….”

“citizenship by inheritance belongs to none but the children of those Americans, who, having survived the Declaration of Independence, acquired that adventitious character in their own right, and transmitted it to their offspring….”

“as a natural right, belongs to none but those who have been born of citizens since the 4th of July, 1776…

And a Link to his treatise.

Obviously he did not agree with the common interpretation of Madison's off hand comment.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

And, obviously his treatise is not a part of the constitution.

On my mother's side the first immigrant arrived in the 1600's. On my fathers side I believe it was the 1820's. So, by this fellows reasoning and the paternal prejudice at the time, I could not be a natural born citizen.

How would you fit into this picture?

PS: Is this the extent of his comments. Did he segregate between those who ' suffered' (fought or at least postured with the rebels), or does it also include those who did not want to have anything to do with it?

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

palladin9479

ya'll being trolled

Post by palladin9479 »

Wow I'm out for a week and this topic still going.

If you guys/gals haven't noticed Dio is just being a troll. There is nothing you can say that would otherwise change that. The founding fathers could be reincarnated and come out and disagree with Dio, and he'd still keep arguing and trolling.

The only solution to a troll is to deny them a platform to troll. They feed off the reactions from others. If you cease responding to their trolling, then they'll do one of two things. Either they will elevate their trolling to the point where it breaks the forums rules of conduct, and thus get banned, in an attempt to get a reaction from people. Or they'll get bored and go troll someplace else making only token appearances in a hope to maintain some sort of internal dignity.

My suggestion to all is to cease reading or replying to the troll attempts.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"If you guys/gals haven't noticed Dio is just being a troll."

Oooh! Oooh! I noticed! I'm considering making one more post on the matter, though.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria