Space X to build reusable launch vehicle

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Admitedly, the problem is structural integrity and heat on reentry...
Heat on reentry is only relevant of you dont slow down enough before hitting the denser atmosphere.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I would think that by weight, a parafoil would provide much more crossrange than small wings and they don't have to be deployed until after all the high-gee tumbling and breaking.

http://kjeldvandruten.3sc.nl/x38.html
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

would think that by weight, a parafoil would provide much more crossrange than small wings and they don't have to be deployed until after all the high-gee tumbling and breaking.
I was always confused why the X38 would have a parafoil AND a lifting body. It seemed like a stupid concept to me.
For some reason I do not like parafoils at all. They seem so oldfashioned.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

How bout a scissor wing with a KFm-5B foil? The foil would snuggle up right against the side of the cylindrical rocket body and could extend out, rotate 90 degrees and snuggle back against a special ring in the shell. It would taked only a minor amount of volume and when stowed parallel would add little to the overall drag of the rocket. Heck, with this setup, they could have a VERY large cross-range and could glide in slow, flair and land on rocket or even land on skids horizontally. Just a thought.

charliem

Post by charliem »

Parafoils give good crossrange, but if the X-38 parafoil is the biggest ever made then there is a problem. Falcon 9 first stage, even empty, is quite heavier than a X-38 CRV.

Anyhow it seems that decelerating after separation is a bigger problem. To do this they'll need about 2.6 km/s of delta-v.

To take it back to the launch complex much less, under 1 km/s.

And to do the powered landing even less.

By the way, I see another problem. The Merlin 1D has much more thrust than necessary (~63 tf), and you cannot throttle it down under 70%, so if the timing is not perfect, or the altitude well measured, or the estimation of the mass, then the stage could "bounce" instead of land.

With that kind of thrust it should be able to decelerate a 20 t stage at over 2.1 g, that means from 300 m/s to zero in only 14 seconds (or less), and total delta-v < 0.5 km/s.

edit: 70 tf is the Merlin 1D thrust in vacuum, at SL is ~10% less.
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The Merlin 1D has much more thrust than necessary (~63 tf), and you cannot throttle it down under 70%
That is intereting.
If they cant deep throttle it, how are they going to use it for powered landing?

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Use some of your kerosene to inflate a hydrogen envelope. Rocket powered airship anyone? :shock:
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Luzr

Post by Luzr »

KitemanSA wrote:How bout a scissor wing with a KFm-5B foil? The foil would snuggle up right against the side of the cylindrical rocket body and could extend out, rotate 90 degrees and snuggle back against a special ring in the shell. It would taked only a minor amount of volume and when stowed parallel would add little to the overall drag of the rocket. Heck, with this setup, they could have a VERY large cross-range and could glide in slow, flair and land on rocket or even land on skids horizontally. Just a thought.
I am afraid any concept with "deploying" wings will have problem with reliability and structural integrity. Forces that have to be transfered with wing-spar will be extreme, it will be hard to do this with fixed set of wings, with wings deploying almost impossible....

Anyway, I believe that those fixed wings do not need to be big. A couple of meters wingspan and delta planform would do just fine. All that is needed is L/D in 3-4 range and required CL for wing is minimal..

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Forces that have to be transfered with wing-spar will be extreme, it will be hard to do this with fixed set of wings, with wings deploying almost impossible....
The forces would NOT be extreme if the stage uses its engines to slow down. Then you will have to deal with only low grade forces on the wings.
I also think that you would only need very small wings to get enough cross range. It seems like we only need a glide ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 at most.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

There is a reason the shuttle drops like a manueverable brick. And I have seen inside the wing structure and roots, it is some very beefy stuff.

charliem

Post by charliem »

Skipjack wrote:
The Merlin 1D has much more thrust than necessary (~63 tf), and you cannot throttle it down under 70%
That is interesting.
If they cant deep throttle it, how are they going to use it for powered landing?
When I saw their video I wondered why the second stage used four small thrusters to land when it had a big main restartable engine that, although optimized for vacuum, should work well enough at sea level.

Now I see, it's too powerful.
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Skipjack wrote:I was always confused why the X38 would have a parafoil AND a lifting body. It seemed like a stupid concept to me.
For some reason I do not like parafoils at all. They seem so oldfashioned.
The lifting body is for reentry. High L/D allows the craft to limit reentry Gs, very useful if carrying an injured astronaut. Though higher than 1:1 isn't much use for that purpose reentering from LEO.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There is a reason the shuttle drops like a manueverable brick. And I have seen inside the wing structure and roots, it is some very beefy stuff.
The shuttle does not use its engines for breaking though...

The lifting body is for reentry. High L/D allows the craft to limit reentry Gs, very useful if carrying an injured astronaut. Though higher than 1:1 isn't much use for that purpose reentering from LEO.
From what I understand also the very simillar Dreamchaser wont need a parafoil. The X37b which only has very short, stubby wings does not need one either...
When I saw their video I wondered why the second stage used four small thrusters to land when it had a big main restartable engine that, although optimized for vacuum, should work well enough at sea level.
Now I see, it's too powerful.
Hmmm. I thought the smaller engines were just because you cant get enough fine control out of a single engine for a pin point powered landing.
But you may be right there.
Well, definitely some interesting times ahead there. 2012 promises to be an interesting year for us space geeks. Not as interesting as I would have expected it would be in the 1980ies, but with a little bit of luck, better than the past 30 years...

Luzr

Post by Luzr »

Skipjack wrote:
The shuttle does not use its engines for breaking though...
The requirment for strong wingspar is not derived from reentry situation (after all, you can keep angle of attack at zero during reentry), but the spar has to hold all the weight of craft during any maneouvering. Any turn would put many Gs to the craft.

Post by 93143 »

Shuttle can't reenter at zero angle of attack. Nothing with windows in front can. Besides, most of the heavy-duty TPS is on the bottom.