Space X to build reusable launch vehicle

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Launch was scrubbed for today after engine 5 reported "pressure high" right after ignition.
Next launch window is Tuesday 3.44 am.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

It was definitely a good test of their ground abort procedures. I had seen mention they had a 1 second launch window, which almost makes me wonder whether this was a surprise "test" of the ground and control crews and not a real launch attempt. Its much more likely to have been a real launch attempt, I admit, but it did make me wonder ...

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

A day or so get catch up, then the maneuvering tests begin. Considering how SpaceX handled the faulty check valve in engine 5 (the launch abort was because the computer detected higher than expected engine pressure, and that check valve turned out to be the problem), I will be very surprised if there are any problems with the next portions of this flight.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

krenshala wrote:A day or so get catch up, then the maneuvering tests begin. Considering how SpaceX handled the faulty check valve in engine 5 (the launch abort was because the computer detected higher than expected engine pressure, and that check valve turned out to be the problem), I will be very surprised if there are any problems with the next portions of this flight.
I like what I've seen so far. Personally, I'd like to see NASA take a regulatory and sciences/R&D approach, hitching rides along the way. I say this because I don't think we should just allow any nut job to shoot something up in the air in the hopes of making it to space, but I also recognize some industries thrive under a properly regulated private sector.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

krenshala wrote:A day or so get catch up, then the maneuvering tests begin. Considering how SpaceX handled the faulty check valve in engine 5 (the launch abort was because the computer detected higher than expected engine pressure, and that check valve turned out to be the problem), I will be very surprised if there are any problems with the next portions of this flight.
It looks like they still have a few issues, through not much testing of new systems, and have failsafes everywhere to detect anomalies. That is fine, and means that if something goes wrong they will know what it is, and maybe be able to correct, but does not stop things going wrong.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

ScottL wrote:I like what I've seen so far. Personally, I'd like to see NASA take a regulatory and sciences/R&D approach, hitching rides along the way. I say this because I don't think we should just allow any nut job to shoot something up in the air in the hopes of making it to space, but I also recognize some industries thrive under a properly regulated private sector.
Some might wonder that honest politicians, their cronies, and caring bureaucrats (since they can't economically and safely run a program) would be best suited to oversee anything, properly. I am wonderstruck with such thinking. But that is just my own thinking...
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

tomclarke wrote:
It looks like they still have a few issues, through not much testing of new systems, and have failsafes everywhere to detect anomalies. That is fine, and means that if something goes wrong they will know what it is, and maybe be able to correct, but does not stop things going wrong.
While I agree overall, it seems they do quite a bit of testing, especially considering SpaceX delayed the launch until late April due to the desire to do further testing. I'm not sure sure if they would have delayed until now on their own, even if NASA hadn't, but I would be very surprised if they didn't take that as additional testing time. They clearly wanted this to work right the "first time".

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

"... we have a Dragon by the tail."

I heard them mention one LIDAR was down, and if the second failed Dragon would auto-abort, but the capture went without problems from what I've watched in the last 45-60 minutes.

[edit] And Dragon is now berthed to the Harmony module of the ISS. Things appear to have worked with only a minor issue (the guys running the robotic arm said things looked right but their numbers didn't match what they had in the instructions; they reinput the numbers and all seemed to go smoothly after that).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

SpaceX did an awesome job there! I doubt that this will sway the die hard critics though. The lobbying money keeps them "unconvinced" about commercial space.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Skipjack wrote:SpaceX did an awesome job there! I doubt that this will sway the die hard critics though. The lobbying money keeps them "unconvinced" about commercial space.
Yes couldn't be happier...doubt if things keep going as well it will be 3-5yr before it is flying astronauts to the ISS. It still rankles me our having to pay the Russians to go to our own space station. Sure Biglelow will be using it to ferry customers to his station even sooner.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think they could fly crew within a couple of years if they really wanted to. Theoretically they could do that already. It would not be that save, but they could do it.
To make it really crew worthy with all the bells and whistles they need life support and an escape system. They do already have the Draco thrusters for the abort system and are currently testing them. The only unknown to me is the life support system. I think they do already have it ready, but I am not 100% sure.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:I think they could fly crew within a couple of years if they really wanted to. Theoretically they could do that already. It would not be that save, but they could do it.
To make it really crew worthy with all the bells and whistles they need life support and an escape system. They do already have the Draco thrusters for the abort system and are currently testing them. The only unknown to me is the life support system. I think they do already have it ready, but I am not 100% sure.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Netmaker

Post by Netmaker »

Skipjack wrote:The only unknown to me is the life support system. I think they do already have it ready, but I am not 100% sure.
The Dragon capsule is divided into two sections - the crew section and what they are calling a trunk section (as in a car trunk). The crew section is already pressurized even when used for cargo. The trunk is unpressurized.

As far as oxygen storage, CO2 scrubbing and whatever else is required for a life support system, I haven't seen anything. I imagine that is more a matter of adapting existing equipment/designs and so shouldn't present major issues (either integration or testing).

The retro-rocket landing/abort system though would seem to be fairly unique to the Dragon capsule (excepting maybe the Delta Clipper?) and if so will require extensive testing.