Sequestration: Yea or Nay?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Sequestration: Yea or Nay?

Yea
78%
Nay
22%

Total votes: 9

KitemanSA

Re: Sequestration: Yea or Nay?

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Penus Envy from north of the border?
Penus?

choff

Post by choff »

The problem with cutting military spending, Polywell research might be one of the first things to go. Besides, you cut spending on the military, you depress the whole military industrial complex component of the economy, and it spills over into the rest of the economy. The fed has no difficulty printing money, they just get picky about who gets it, only bankers are allowed this welfare spending.
CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

TallDave spotted.
264 Of course we don't trust the people. That's why we have a Constitution full of "Congress shall make no law."

The people are idiots. Occasionally they elect the right person, usually by accident.

Posted by: TallDave at March 06, 2013 11:32 AM (/s1LA)

http://minx.cc/?post=338118
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Maui

Post by Maui »

choff wrote: Besides, you cut spending on the military, you depress the whole military industrial complex component of the economy, and it spills over into the rest of the economy.
I love how the right is so selective when they use this argument. I don't often see them making the case that teacher salaries spill over into the rest of the economy.

The bottom line is in the short run cutting gov spending will hurt the economy. Period. Doesn't matter where you are cutting it from. Not to say we shouldn't do it, and that it's not good in the long run, but don't pretend like military spending is the only kind of spending that is a part of the economy.

And actually, I would argue cutting military spending does less damage than most other kinds of spending outside of "safety net" kinds of spending. Road work, air traffic controllers, education, etc all produce a product which helps the economy. The military's only "product" is that warm fuzzy feeling that Canada can't march in and take us over.
Last edited by Maui on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

KitemanSA wrote:
ladajo wrote:Penus Envy from north of the border?
Penus?
You have to say it the Canuck way. I had to choose between two 'o's or a 'u'. I went with the 'u'.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The military's only "product" is that warm fuzzy feeling that Canada can't march in and take us over.
Personally, I don't think we need a military to have that warm fuzzy. I think local PD's are enough.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

choff

Post by choff »

There would be enough private US citizens with guns to stop the Canadian army before it got half way through the border states, never mind the US military or PD's. The last Canadian military commander to propose an invasion of the US was right after WW1, he was banished from Ottowa to Esquimalt. He and a few officers crossed the border disguised as tourists with a camera to take pictures of strategic targets, the camera broke and they had to rely on postcards.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

choff wrote:There would be enough private US citizens with guns to stop the Canadian army before it got half way through the border states, never mind the US military or PD's. The last Canadian military commander to propose an invasion of the US was right after WW1, he was banished from Ottowa to Esquimalt. He and a few officers crossed the border disguised as tourists with a camera to take pictures of strategic targets, the camera broke and they had to rely on postcards.
That sound like a Congressional junket to me. :lol:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I'll have to look that one up. It sounds hilarious.

Canada and the US, two nations divided by beer.

Riothamus

Post by Riothamus »

Do we have any word on the fallout for our pet government funded project? I was confident it fell below the level at which cuts were applied and thus could be saved, but with bureaucrats you never know.