Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

GIThruster wrote:That makes sense except for the cash involved. There are about 100,000 public schools in the country. If you paid for just 1 guard at each, that would be in the billions of dollars each year, and you still aren't protecting the kids while on the busses, the private schools, etc.

Local police often put in time in public schools as part of their beat. That's really up to the municipality. I have to admit though, I am not surprised at all that the local teachers think spending billions of dollars is the answer. I have yet to meet a public school teacher with a fiscally responsible attitude. They all love to spend other people's money.

How about a compromise? Have the local PD park a car in front of the school each day and remove it at the end of the day so that it appears there is an officer there. Wouldn't that provide the same deterrent without spending the money?
Sound like this is a JOB creator

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

paperburn1 wrote:Sound like this is a JOB creator
If I break a window, I'm a "job creator". What we need is not just "job creators" but job creators that produce.

Enough nonsense with people spending other people's money.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

quixote

Post by quixote »

paperburn1 wrote: If a active shooter is present then the police/ first responders have no idea if the person present is an active shooter or a teachers protecting their students. With a uniformed armed guard that problem is removed.
I think this assertion is questionable. Any half-decent costume shop will stock pretty convincing security guard uniforms.

williatw

Post by williatw »

NRA Responds To Sandy Hook Massacre

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 25059.html

National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters –- and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.
Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

I hope they have the intestinal fortitude not to cave in on our gun rights. Perhaps they may even say something about the complete total failure of "gun free zones" to keep people safe, and in fact probably attract the very nutjobs there supposed to be protecting us against. Evil people love disarmed helpless victims.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

What a total red herring... Unfortunately the psych/social troubles at the root of these killing sprees aren't about to be solved, and none of the pro/anti gun conflict will do much if anything to resolve them.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

quixote wrote:
paperburn1 wrote: If a active shooter is present then the police/ first responders have no idea if the person present is an active shooter or a teachers protecting their students. With a uniformed armed guard that problem is removed.
I think this assertion is questionable. Any half-decent costume shop will stock pretty convincing security guard uniforms.
Think Norway shootings
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

GIThruster wrote:
If I break a window, I'm a "job creator". What we need is not just "job creators" but job creators that produce.

Hat tip to Bastiat. :wink:
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Stubby wrote:
quixote wrote:
Think Norway shootings
Not the "norm" and you can not have 100 percent protection from everything. you must accept the fact there will be losses no mater who's solution is implemented.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:
GIThruster wrote:

I have a vague memory of him also saying life liberty and property can not be protected by law.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

paperburn1 wrote:
Stubby wrote:
quixote wrote: I think this assertion is questionable. Any half-decent costume shop will stock pretty convincing security guard uniforms.
Think Norway shootings
Not the "norm" and you can not have 100 percent protection from everything. you must accept the fact there will be losses no mater who's solution is implemented.
Just saying where there is a will there is a way. For good or bad people.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

Blankbeard

Post by Blankbeard »

Betruger wrote:What a total red herring... Unfortunately the psych/social troubles at the root of these killing sprees aren't about to be solved, and none of the pro/anti gun conflict will do much if anything to resolve them.
There hasn't been a lot of research into this subject, what with school shooters being hard to find and likely to end their own lives, but what research there has been suggests there isn't an easily identifiable "type" that becomes a school shooter. Which suggests that there isn't an easy way to weed them out. What does seem to be a commonality is that most experienced bullying and depression. But most bullied students don't go on to kill their peers. I don't think there's an easy solution.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:
ladajo wrote:
GIThruster wrote: If I break a window, I'm a "job creator". What we need is not just "job creators" but job creators that produce.

I have a vague memory of him also saying life liberty and property can not be protected by law.

Or Insurance.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Blankbeard wrote:
Betruger wrote:What a total red herring... Unfortunately the psych/social troubles at the root of these killing sprees aren't about to be solved, and none of the pro/anti gun conflict will do much if anything to resolve them.
There hasn't been a lot of research into this subject, what with school shooters being hard to find and likely to end their own lives, but what research there has been suggests there isn't an easily identifiable "type" that becomes a school shooter. Which suggests that there isn't an easy way to weed them out. What does seem to be a commonality is that most experienced bullying and depression. But most bullied students don't go on to kill their peers. I don't think there's an easy solution.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atla ... ght-1.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

Blankbeard wrote:
You might want to check out an online book by David McGowan called 'Programmed to Kill.'
CHoff