It Is Official Himalayan Glaciers Are Not In Trouble

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Josh Cryer wrote:GISS only uses stations with 20 monthly records or more, and with a date period of several decades. You can't blame GISS for the meteorologists cutting back stations.
Fair enough.

A station gets dropped you recompute ALL your previous results with that station dropped.

Example: I find that the meter stick I used 10 years ago was short and then keep the old results and just report the latest ones with my new meter stick. Not good measurement technique.

The real problem is that weather stations were never meant to measure climate.

Pilots want to know the actual temperature on the runway for safe landings.

Now a runway with jet planes landing and heating the air and the tarmac and humans etc. is definitely NOT the place for a climate station.

The whole field is a mess. And for the leaders in the field to pretend "Everything is fine. Just a few minor errors. And we can fix those with statistics." is nuts.

What I see is at minimum is the acceptance of sloppy. And in some cases it seems to rise to the level of fraud.

Hide The Decline
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

MSimon wrote:Fair enough.

A station gets dropped you recompute ALL your previous results with that station dropped.
Why? Should the temperatures up until that date be made less accurate by using less stations? You're effectively invaliding decades of temperature records.
Example: I find that the meter stick I used 10 years ago was short and then keep the old results and just report the latest ones with my new meter stick. Not good measurement technique.
That's akin to saying "I found that the temperature I measured 10 years ago was *the temperature I measured 10 years ago* and then keep the old result and just report the latest trend with that *temperature I measured 10 years ago*.

If I didn't know better I'd dispute the idea that you're an engineer! For a trend line old temperatures are fine. Likewise, your old meter stick should be fine if you're using it on that shed you built 10 years ago with it!

I want to incorporate the Cooperative Station Index made by tens of thousands of amateur observers, use GISTEMP satellite urban bias with it, see what happens.

Also, don't forget USCRN.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It is a matter of measuring the same thing every time.

Dropping or adding stations changes what you are measuring.

Don't tell me. Let me guess.

Homogenization Will Fix It

That is: I can drop a station high in the mountains and replace it with one on a coast and one in a jungle plus a suitable offset.

So tell me. Can I take readings from 10,000 stations once and then replace them ALL with one station? Computing suitable offsets?

Way to check. Take any 3 stations in different micro climates widely separated . Pick 3 other stations in a different area with different micro climates also widely separated. Watch them for a year (or use the record).

Will both sets rise and fall in unison to give the accuracy claimed?

Which leads us to the problem of sufficient spatial frequency in the sampling. How many stations do I need in a grid box with varying micro climates to properly represent what is going on in a box?

How do I set a parameter for the temperature in the box for my model?

Say my box has ocean, desert, forest, and savanna. And a cloudless day. How do I determine the temperature changes in each region? What parameter do I use? How do I account for changes in vegetation in those places as CO2, temperature, and rainfall change over time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microclimate

Don't tell me. Let me guess.

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

Dropping or adding stations changes what you are measuring.
No it doesn't. Ask any statistician. I'm not one, but I know that you can continue discovering a trend as long as the data you have is similar. The census used to count everyone, then everyone became too big to count, so we had to use computers. Then the labor required to count everyone required us to create methods to get a good idea of how many there are (otherwise half the population would wind up counting the other half).
That is: I can drop a station high in the mountains and replace it with one on a coast and one in a jungle plus a suitable offset.
That is not what is being done.

I can stop counting all the people in a given suburb because I sampled the families there and I can use statistics to derive a good match.

In any case, past trends do not affect current trends, and as far as I can tell the homogenization process makes the trendline cooler.
So tell me. Can I take readings from 10,000 stations once and then replace them ALL with one station? Computing suitable offsets?
No, and they don't do that.
Say my box has ocean, desert, forest, and savanna. And a cloudless day. How do I determine the temperature changes in each region?
You adjust for brightness levels and normalize them. You are aware that GISS takes into account these things, right?
What parameter do I use?
Read the papers.
How do I account for changes in vegetation in those places as CO2, temperature, and rainfall change over time?
Read the papers. I'll know eventually. In the case of GISS it is all open source.
No. CLARREO will fix it. Homogenization is a best effort attempt. But you attempt to discredit scientists because they try to figure things out, while not trying to figure things out yourself.

Climate "skeptics" have only misled me whenever I look at their data. I'm supposed to be convinced by "skeptics" when they don't do proper analysis?
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

No. CLARREO will fix it. Homogenization is a best effort attempt. But you attempt to discredit scientists because they try to figure things out, while not trying to figure things out yourself.
I have other things to figure out.

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/image ... alysis.pdf
This question touches on something of a dark secret within science one which most scientists, through the need for self-preservation, are scared to admit: most disciplines of science are, to a greater or lesser extent, controlled by fashions, biases, and dogma. Why is this so? Because the mechanism by which scientific debate has been “regulated” to avoid anarchy—at least since the second half of the twentieth century—has been the “peer review” process. The career of any professional scientist lives or dies on their success in achieving publication of their papers in “peer-reviewed” journals. So what, exactly, does “peer-reviewed” mean? Simply that other professional scientists in that discipline must agree that the paper is worthy of publication. And what is the criterion that determines who these “professional scientists” should be? Their success in achieving publication of their papers in peer-reviewed journals! Catch-22.
Now we have seen this in the fusion community. And to those who have delved into it the corruption is obvious. In the case of fusion it is not so much corruption of data. It is that other methods which might provide a faster track to results get shut out.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/20 ... noaa-nasa/

http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pi ... ure-23.jpg

If "dropped stations" were cooling the record then they would have resulted in an obvious bias.

But deniers lack data analysis abilities.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

No it doesn't. Ask any statistician. I'm not one, but I know that you can continue discovering a trend as long as the data you have is similar.

Say I'm trying to find out the average change in length of copper, aluminum, iron, and wood vs temperature (for some stupid reason I need all four in series in equal length.)

Suppose I drop out the wood. And compensate for the missing wood measurement by averaging the copper, aluminum, and iron.

Am I really measuring the same thing any more? Do I still get the same average length change? Now suppose I failed to keep the humidity constant?

I suppose if your statistics are good enough.

A math miracle. Which gives us a science miracle.

===

You see getting the right answer with the wrong method is not real science. It is what we refer to in the sceptic trade as climate "science". A science so good that bad methods give correct results.

===

And yes. If I take steel measurements at 0C, 10C, 20C, 30C and 40C and leave out the 20C I can make a very good guess at the curve with a linear interpolation.

But say I'm measuring water expansion and measure 0C, 20C, 40C, and
60C. Opps left out the magic 4C. Curve no longer matches reality.

And since vegetation matters in surface station measurements - is the vegetation response going to be the same on a mountainside as it is at the sea shore? In the jungle? One can hope.

Micro climate issues with surface stations are VERY important. You will note that in our discussions I left a reference (rather incomplete I might add) to micro climate. One of the most critical variables is height above the terrain.

Feynman on fooling yourself and the requirement for looking at every confounding factor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZcpTTjjXY

About 2 minutes - the good stuff is at about 1 minute in.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

MSimon wrote:Say I'm trying to find out the average change in length of copper, aluminum, iron, and wood vs temperature (for some stupid reason I need all four in series in equal length.)

Suppose I drop out the wood. And compensate for the missing wood measurement by averaging the copper, aluminum, and iron.

Am I really measuring the same thing any more? Do I still get the same average length change? Now suppose I failed to keep the humidity constant?
MSimon, it is increasingly hard to believe that you have any experience whatsoever with engineering.

Let's suppose you're building a bridge with those materials and you want to know the average expansion rate, because you want to compensate for summertime expansion, you cannot take any variables out and average over them.

But that analogy does not fit with what the scientists are doing.

First, as Vose pointed out, the records are retroactive, which is the reason so many existed in the 70s-80s. And we know that the trend still exists when you only use one continuious record:

A better analogy (which is obviously stupid) is that you're building a bridge made only out of aluminum, and you want to know the overall expansion rate of said bridge during the summer. It is composed of several different alloys of aluminum, though, and your boss said you can only do the research on one of the alloys due to budget constraints. What do you do? You pick the one with the largest thermal expansion coefficient. Likewise the scientists pick the longest records they can from the historical record (going from over 10,000 records to a few thousand).

But, of course, just as with your bridge, it is better to check each aluminum alloy (since some have amazing expansion properties), just as it is better to include proxies in with the data.

So your measurements suggest .19 C / decade warming, the combined measurements say .13 (with 90% likelihood).
You see getting the right answer with the wrong method is not real science. It is what we refer to in the sceptic trade as climate "science". A science so good that bad methods give correct results.
When you're talking about a chaotic system a "right answer" is non-existent. You are setting the goalposts so high that they're unachievable. What they can do is come up with a best estimate. I see nothing wrong with their best estimate. I suppose you can argue with Spencer about .13 C / decade. (This number is actually close to one that you reckoned, isn't it?)
And since vegetation matters in surface station measurements - is the vegetation response going to be the same on a mountainside as it is at the sea shore? In the jungle? One can hope.
GISS accounts for all relevant data at the sampling frequency we are capable of: http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pi ... ure-23.jpg
Feynman on fooling yourself and the requirement for looking at every confounding factor:

Indeed, which is why when Spencer's satellite measurements didn't match the models, both the models and the data were analyzed in depth. It turned out in that case that the models were right. When GISS messed up some temperature measurements, that too was corrected.

There is no evidence of scientific misconduct from the climatologist side.

But I showed once already where a meteorologist screwed up the analysis (11 days and no retraction).

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Josh,

I'm not arguing trend. I'm arguing method.

I can't believe the trend if I don't believe the method.

And yes. I'm an aerospace engineer. And the standards I suggest for climate science are exactly the ones I upheld for aerospace engineering.

And you know the FAA NEVER EVER gave us the leeway of "the answer is right". We had to prove our method or we didn't get a passing grade.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

No evidence of misconduct? Wait 'til you look at the Harry Read Me stuff.

It is just full of evidence of misconduct. :twisted:

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

MSimon, it is increasingly hard to believe that you have any experience whatsoever with engineering.
Sounds like this debate is wearing someone's rhetoric down to ad homs.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:
Sounds like this debate is wearing someone's rhetoric down to ad homs.
I remember what I was called when I was actually wrong about a topic. And I used a few choice words myself.

I LIKE spirited discussion. Real engineers have few manners.

OTOH the deniers bit has been going on for ages.

The real spirit of science is: here is my argument. Break it if you can.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

There's funny spirited (in both meanings of the word) smack and there's empty monkey poo flingin rhetoric.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

Josh Cryer wrote:
MSimon wrote:Say I'm trying to find out the average change in length of copper, aluminum, iron, and wood vs temperature (for some stupid reason I need all four in series in equal length.)

Let's suppose you're building a bridge with those materials and you want to know the average expansion rate, because you want to compensate for summertime expansion, you cannot take any variables out and average over them.

But that analogy does not fit with what the scientists are doing.

First, as Vose pointed out, the records are retroactive, which is the reason so many existed in the 70s-80s. And we know that the trend still exists when you only use one continuious record:

A better analogy (which is obviously stupid) is that you're building a bridge made only out of aluminum, and you want to know the overall expansion rate of said bridge during the summer. It is composed of several different alloys of aluminum, though, and your boss said you can only do the research on one of the alloys due to budget constraints. What do you do? You pick the one with the largest thermal expansion coefficient. Likewise the scientists pick the longest records they can from the historical record (going from over 10,000 records to a few thousand).

But, of course, just as with your bridge, it is better to check each aluminum alloy (since some have amazing expansion properties), just as it is better to include proxies in with the data.

So your measurements suggest .19 C / decade warming, the combined measurements say .13 (with 90% likelihood).
When you're talking about a chaotic system a "right answer" is non-existent. You are setting the goalposts so high that they're unachievable. What they can do is come up with a best estimate. I see nothing wrong with their best estimate. I suppose you can argue with Spencer about .13 C / decade. (This number is actually close to one that you reckoned, isn't it?)
GISS accounts for all relevant data at the sampling frequency we are capable of: http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pi ... ure-23.jpg

Indeed, which is why when Spencer's satellite measurements didn't match the models, both the models and the data were analyzed in depth. It turned out in that case that the models were right. When GISS messed up some temperature measurements, that too was corrected.

There is no evidence of scientific misconduct from the climatologist side.

But I showed once already where a meteorologist screwed up the analysis (11 days and no retraction).
You're kidding, right.
http://www.climatedepot.com/a/3943/Read ... s-Round-Up
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/climategat ... eal-story/
Unfortunately, I would have to say that the evidence is clear and damning. Scientific misconduct on a scale not seen before.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Jccarlton wrote: You're kidding, right.
http://www.climatedepot.com/a/3943/Read ... s-Round-Up
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/climategat ... eal-story/
Unfortunately, I would have to say that the evidence is clear and damning. Scientific misconduct on a scale not seen before.
Charlie Colorado (Pajamas link) is an Internet friend of mine. Sharp guy.