Elon Musk says he will put millions of people on Mars.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Skipjack wrote:Elon Musk just posted this on Twitter:
Design completed for bringing rocket back to launchpad using only thrusters. Yay. Wings r just dead weight in space.
Considering the similarities in function/result, this kind of comment really makes me wonder what differences exist between the SpaceX method and the Armadillo method for flying/landing rockets.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I wouldn't take Armadillo's launch aspirations much seriously. They may earn a niche in a Lunar Lander, and in the Rocket Racing League, but they don't have funding for sub-orbital launch let alone orbital flight. I can't imagine how they could compete flying ethanol, nor why NASA would fund the Super Mod for suborbital flight. Armadillo is starting to look more like an expensive hobby than a serious commercial venture. Hope I'm wrong.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

GIThruster wrote:I wouldn't take Armadillo's launch aspirations much seriously. They may earn a niche in a Lunar Lander, and in the Rocket Racing League, but they don't have funding for sub-orbital launch let alone orbital flight. I can't imagine how they could compete flying ethanol, nor why NASA would fund the Super Mod for suborbital flight. Armadillo is starting to look more like an expensive hobby than a serious commercial venture. Hope I'm wrong.
My understanding is John Carmack ponied up for most of the costs himself, so the expensive hobby comment is at least partially correct. However, he's got a pretty decent sized stash of cash himself. I'm don't know if its as much as Musk, but the various games he's worked on with id Software have made him quite a bit of money these last 20 years.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I wouldn't take Armadillo's launch aspirations much seriously. They may earn a niche in a Lunar Lander, and in the Rocket Racing League, but they don't have funding for sub-orbital launch let alone orbital flight. I can't imagine how they could compete flying ethanol, nor why NASA would fund the Super Mod for suborbital flight. Armadillo is starting to look more like an expensive hobby than a serious commercial venture. Hope I'm wrong.
I am pretty sure that you are wrong. From what I understand the company is getting into the profit zone with various contract jobs.
They have been working on several projects for NASA (methane LOX engine development and testing craft) and they built (IIRC) two planes for the rocket racing league (which is on ice right now, but might come back later). It started out as a hobby, but from what I understand it has turned into a pretty serious business now.