Gravity repels

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I had the thought to do interstellar travel in a universe where space-time distortions create a different environment inside a star system than outside. Basically, get far enough out and space "flattens out," and a relative amount of distance is actually shorter--enough that once you get past the gravity well you just spend a few weeks in interstellar space, and then spend most of the time climbing out of your starting point, and dropping down into your end point.

No fancy warp drive needed, though physics would need some work. Obviously astrophysics wouldn't work the way we have it settled, and would need a reason no one's noticed, and then a good explanation for how things work in "reality."

This would only be good for fiction, since I'd imagine people have measured some of the stuff involved here, and so it's rather well settled that things work the way we say they do.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

my google-fu is weak today. the closest i could find to what i remember reading (from space.com, now that i think about it) is this brief article about interstellar dust. unfortunately, it only makes a passing reference to how the dust affects the transiting light we view and does not go into the details I remember reading about.

Helius

Post by Helius »

kunkmiester wrote:This would only be good for fiction, since I'd imagine people have measured some of the stuff involved here, and so it's rather well settled that things work the way we say they do.
Yea, I don't think so. I did 20 years ago, but now, it's open season in the Cosmology forest. Dark Matter and dark energy show that cosmology is busted, and busted bad! (and I love it.)

Brian H

Post by Brian H »

TallDave wrote:Tajmar at the ESA found a gravitational force from a spinning disk. The effect was many orders of magnitude greater than relativity predicts.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 232140.htm

That's the only induced gravitational effect I've seen.

Maybe we'll learn something from LHC, though. The nonzero rest state of the Higgs boson is supposed to give rise to mass.
"Many orders of magnitude" indeed! 23, to be exact. That's a whole lotta discrepancy. Not to be hand-waved away, I'd warrant.
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

What do you mean cosmology, Helius? I'm afraid I'm not yet as up to speed on these things as I'd like.

As for Tajmar's experiment, I was thinking of something along those lines for artificial gravity technobabble. Gravity is a property of matter, due to it's mass. If mass and energy are interchangable(E=mc^2), then a sufficient amount of energy can simulate a mass. Not sure how well that works out though, unless you're in Star Trek.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Brian H

Post by Brian H »

kunkmiester wrote:What do you mean cosmology, Helius? I'm afraid I'm not yet as up to speed on these things as I'd like.

As for Tajmar's experiment, I was thinking of something along those lines for artificial gravity technobabble. Gravity is a property of matter, due to it's {its} mass. If mass and energy are interchangable(E=mc^2), then a sufficient amount of energy can simulate a mass. Not sure how well that works out though, unless you're in Star Trek.
That just begs the question. What is it, if anything, about mass that makes gravity a property of itself? Even inertia is stuck on arbitrarily so far.

wwb

Post by wwb »

I shouldn’t even reply here, but here goes. If +g slows time, then it makes sense that –g speed up time. If dark matter is –g, could we have a problem seeing dark matter simply because it is somehow time shifted out of our matter timed space?

Brian H

Post by Brian H »

wwb wrote:I shouldn’t even reply here, but here goes. If +g slows time, then it makes sense that –g speed up time. If dark matter is –g, could we have a problem seeing dark matter simply because it is somehow time shifted out of our matter timed space?
Since the essence of the case for detection and definition of dark matter depends on its +g effects, it can hardly be invisible because it is -g. :roll: 8)

wwb

Post by wwb »

Brian H wrote:
wwb wrote:I shouldn’t even reply here, but here goes. If +g slows time, then it makes sense that –g speed up time. If dark matter is –g, could we have a problem seeing dark matter simply because it is somehow time shifted out of our matter timed space?
Since the essence of the case for detection and definition of dark matter depends on its +g effects, it can hardly be invisible because it is -g. :roll: 8)
My thoughts were that we can see the effects of dark matter, but not the dark matter itself, kind of like the contrail of a jet long gone. That is, if dark matter is repelling type of gravity that distorts time faster as our matter causes gravity to slow time, then when we look for dark matter it long gone like the jet. Is this combination of slow time plus fast time like trying to see a humming birds wings flap, we can see the leaves move from the effect of the wings, but not the wings. Does the perception of the light that we see from dark matter change because of the two types of matter in the universe work with too different clocks?