Kid's Pot Use Up

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:For the number to be in the 100s of millions in the US D you are going to have to explain why the addiction rate will rise from 10% of those trying those drugs to 100%.
Drug usage needn't rise to 100% to produce consequences which are out of proportion to it's usage. By 1905, China had ~ 50% of it's male citizens addicted to Opium. Loss of economic activity left China weak and primed for the subsequent invasion by the Japanese.

MSimon wrote: Plus you are going to have to explain how you will make sure that every member of the population tries those drugs.

No more difficult than marketing Coke. (Which originally contained cocaine.)

MSimon wrote: Say - are you going to start pounding smack when it is legalized? If you say yes I can understand your fears. I must say though - if legality is the only thing holding you back - I feel very sorry for you.

It is not my intention to do any such thing, but in a world such as this would create, it might be a necessary defense to make drug slaves of others before they make a drug slave out of me. (money wise.)

If I have to live in such a world, I would prefer to dish it out rather than take it.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote: I do not believe addictive chemical substances are less addictive under different societal structures.
Your belief pattern has little to do with it.
Folks who are owned by others do what their masters say. The masters say try this, they try this. Since the Brits had pretty much master status...

Of course, the conditions you support would turn America into a similar condition where the masters would be the USGov and the Cartels.

Keep at it, slave-maker.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:
Diogenes wrote: I do not believe addictive chemical substances are less addictive under different societal structures.
Folks who are owned by others do what their masters say. The masters say try this, they try this. Since the Brits had pretty much master status...

Of course, the conditions you support would turn America into a similar condition where the masters would be the USGov and the Cartels.

Keep at it, slave-maker.

You would open wide the door to addiction and you call ME a slave-maker?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote: You would open wide the door to addiction and you call ME a slave-maker?
I open the door to personal responsibility. You demand "other's responsibility". Mine is the free man's path. Your's is the path to slavery.

Keep it up, slave-maker.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:
Diogenes wrote: You would open wide the door to addiction and you call ME a slave-maker?
I open the door to personal responsibility. You demand "other's responsibility". Mine is the free man's path. Your's is the path to slavery.

Keep it up, slave-maker.

It isn't personal responsibility when you short circuit the control functions of the brain.

A scientific study which I’d come across before was mentioned in my bionics lecture today. A scientist called James Olds managed to locate the ‘pleasure centre’ in rats’ brains. This is an area which, when electrically stimulated, produces a feeling of pleasure. Olds attached electrodes to the pleasure centre of some rats, and wired them to a button to which the rats had access. They quickly learnt that they could induce pleasure in themselves by pressing this button, as would be expected, but more interestingly when given the choice between immediate pleasure and food the rats starved themselves to death in favour of the short term pleasure.
http://tjhilton.wordpress.com/2010/01/2 ... -pleasure/

http://www.wadsworth.com/psychology_d/t ... /ps02.html

It is a peculiar form of pesticide.
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:

Keep at it, slave-maker.
I made a similar point in a different way here:

viewtopic.php?p=76754#76754
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It isn't personal responsibility when you short circuit the control functions of the brain.
As alcohol (the #1 date rape drug in America) does. And yet you have no interest in fighting alcohol interests. Interesting.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote: It isn't personal responsibility when you short circuit the control functions of the brain.
That truly is quite a nightmare you are having. Too bad you can't seem to wake up from it cuz none of it is real.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

MSimon wrote:
As alcohol (the #1 date rape drug in America) does. And yet you have no interest in fighting alcohol interests. Interesting.
Last I checked rape is illegal, drunk, sober, stoned or high. One has naught to do with the other. The are controls on alcohol, just like driving a car, and buying guns or bullets.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Last I checked rape is illegal, drunk, sober, stoned or high. One has naught to do with the other. The are controls on alcohol, just like driving a car, and buying guns or bullets.
My point is: why single out the set of drugs for opprobrium that D does? Why not be consistent and be down on all drugs that harm society - be they legal or illegal.

Or are you one of those "legal = good" types. How does that work?

Alcohol good - before prohibition
Alcohol bad - during prohibition
Alcohol good again - prohibition repealed

But I do like the fact that you see crime as harming others. It is a start.

And have you noticed that the sales of the illegals is totally uncontrolled?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Last I checked rape is illegal, drunk, sober, stoned or high. One has naught to do with the other. There are controls on alcohol, just like driving a car, and buying guns or bullets.
And just like there should be on other drugs. But since the other drugs are illegal, there are no controls. this leads to all sorts of problems; like pushing to kids and escalating usage.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:

You either don't read, don't remember, or don't understand what I write. To remind you, I am the one that keeps speculating that prohibition of alcohol might have worked had it been approached in a different way.

Also, I have suggested the idea of a drug/alcohol license, which still seems to me to be the only way to indulge your ideas without wrecking society.

Anyway, new article today on yahoo.

Corey Haim Would Have Been 40

The '80s teen idol Corey Haim would have been 40 on Friday. The young Canadian, who was one of a group of talented stars born in 1971, rose to fame only to fall into a losing battle with addiction. He died suddenly March, 2010.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 34250.html
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:
Diogenes wrote: It isn't personal responsibility when you short circuit the control functions of the brain.
That truly is quite a nightmare you are having. Too bad you can't seem to wake up from it cuz none of it is real.

The nightmare is what you inadvertently wish to cause.
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

There are far fewer involved with drugs than with alcohol and yet it isn't working.

So how has it worked? Well quite well. And the better it worked (as trumpeted by the newspapers etc.) the more people began to wonder: what is so good about that stuff that folks are willing to go to jail for it?

The best way to make prohibition work IMO is never to start it in the first place because it is a big advertisement for the very behavior you oppose. You couldn't buy that kind of advertising. And fortunately with prohibition you don't have to.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
The nightmare is what you inadvertently wish to cause.
Opiates were freely available in America during the same period they worked over China. I'm still waiting for something other than your usual hand waving explanation.

Could it be that Prohibition spread the very "disease" it was meant to prevent?