Rise of the Machines.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Looks like stupid politicians are an universal disease.
All politicians are notorious liers and cheaters and when they dont kiss little children for the cameras they steal their lollipops, because such is the nature of a politician.
Sometimes I am wondering whether there is a big flaw in our democracies as politicians cant be held liable for their actions.
Compared to dictators, to many of our western politicians die in bed ;)

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

Don't worry, when the s**t hits the fan, Kim Jong Il will save us all:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/ele ... d=13081667

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

The North is believed to be nearing completion of an electromagnetic pulse bomb that, if exploded 25 miles above ground would cause irreversible damage to electrical and electronic devices such as mobile phones, computers, radio and radar, experts say.
If these are the same experts claiming that North Korea has already rocket size nuclear bomb than I wouldn't be so worried :wink:

Anyhow, just in case, all hail Kim Jong Il!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There was a really nice article somewhere (was that NBF?) that talked about hardening electronics against EMPs and how they could be protected. From what I remember the general thought was that more electronics are EMP hardened than people generally think.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

My understanding is that a grounded Faraday Cage is all that is required to protect anything inside it from EMP effects.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

A Faraday cage helps a lot, grounded or not. Most digital electronics today have gate inputs protected with diodes to the power supply rails, which should also help as long as input current is limited.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Not completely true. The cage also depends on mesh size.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

ladajo wrote:Not completely true. The cage also depends on mesh size.
True. Gap size of the mesh should be less than half the wave-length you want to make sure to stop, right? ;)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

krenshala wrote:
ladajo wrote:Not completely true. The cage also depends on mesh size.
True. Gap size of the mesh should be less than half the wave-length you want to make sure to stop, right? ;)
Circumference of the holes needs to be well less than 1 wavelength. Less than 1/2 wavelength is a decent rule of thumb. A narrow slot half a wavelength long makes a good antenna if you couple to it right.