Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Re: Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/prosec ... nock-raid/

On December 19, also just before 6am, Burleson County Sgt. Adam Sowders, led a team in a no-knock marijuana raid on Henry Goedrich Magee’s mobile home in Somerville.

Also startled by these intruders, Magee opened fire, fearing for the safety of himself and his then pregnant girlfriend.

Sowders was unfortunately killed among the chaos.

In February, just a few months before the fateful raid in Killeen, all charges against Magee were dropped when a Texas grand jury refused to indict, based on them believing he feared for his safety and that this was a reasonable act of self defense.

With such similar circumstances and such intensely opposite repercussions one cant help but try to find the differences.

Most obvious? Guy is black and Magee is white. Also, take note of the difference in photos used in the press.
BTW no drugs were found in either case. The War On Some Men aka The War On Some Drugs continues apace.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Should have been front page news. . .

http://www.truthandaction.org/largest-f ... history/2/

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

1700 mph bullets? Was this supposed to be a handgun?

But point taken. And don't make me use my .30-06, because those are about 2000 mph.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Tom Ligon wrote:

But point taken. And don't make me use my .30-06, because those are about 2000 mph.
He was carrying what appeared to be a 9mm pistol in the vid. 1700 mph is about right.

Refreshing to note his finger is not in the trigger guard.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

GIThruster wrote:
Tom Ligon wrote:

He was carrying what appeared to be a 9mm pistol in the vid. 1700 mph is about right.

Refreshing to note his finger is not in the trigger guard.
I think 1700 mph is way high for 9mm Luger. Even the necked down 7.65 mm Luger is down in the 1200 fps range. Maybe a Speedball 221. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.221_Remington_Fireball

I'm showing 9mm Luger muzzle velocities at up to 1300ish feet per second. Assuming this online converter is right:

1,312 foot/second = 894.545 mile/hour (mph)

On the finger out of the trigger guard issue, I'm remembering a comment made of a photo showing two American soldiers helping a wounded American out of a firefight. The wounded guy has his pistol in one hand, that arm over the shoulder of one of his helpers. His finger is properly positioned outside the trigger guard. The comment is something to the effect of, "The real test of trigger discipline is if you maintain it when badly wounded."

Found the pic, sans comment ... originally remembered this as an M4 but obviously I couldn't at twenty paces tell a Mauser from a javelin. https://imgur.com/tezSn9Z

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

One of the Turks was just raising his saber to strike down the last of the tent-wearing women. And he would’ve done just that, except that this woman suddenly darted away (as much as a person in such a garment could dart), forcing a postponement of the attack. He shuffled forward-directly into the path of Jack and Jack’s horse. They simply rode the Turk down. It was clear that the horse was well-trained in this maneuver-Jack made a mental note to treat the animal kindly.

Then with one hand Jack gave a stiff tug on a rein while unslinging his musket from the opposite shoulder. The horse wheeled around, giving Jack a view of the ground he’d just ridden over. One of the Turks was flattened into the ground, crushed in two or three places under the horse’s hooves, and the other was actually striding towards Jack and sort of wiggling his saber in the way of a man limbering up his wrist for a display of swordsmanship. Not wanting to see any such thing, Jack aimed his musket carefully at this Turk and pulled the trigger. The Turk stared calmly into Jack’s eyes, up the barrel of the weapon. He had brown hair and green eyes and a bushy mustache flecked with gold, all of which vanished in a smoky flash when the powder in the pan ignited. But the musket did not kick. He heard the foosh of the flash in the pan, but not the boom of the barrel.

This was known as a hang fire. The fire in the pan had not traveled into the barrel-perhaps the touch-hole had become blocked by a bit of dirt. Nonetheless, Jack kept the weapon aimed in the general direction of the Turk (which involved some guesswork because the Turk was hidden behind the cloud of smoke from the pan). There might still be a slow fire working its way through the touch-hole-the musket was likely to fire, without warning, at any point during the next couple of minutes.

By the time Jack could see again, the Turk had grabbed the horse’s bridle with one hand and raised the other to strike. Jack, peering out sidelong through burning eyes, wheeled his musket about to make some kind of barrier between him and the bloody saber and felt a mighty shock when the two weapons connected, instantly followed by a hot blast that knocked his hands apart and spat metal into his face. The horse reared up. Under other circumstances, Jack might’ve been ready for this. As it was, blind, shocked, and burnt, he performed a reverse-somersault down the animal’s muscular ass, plunged to the ground, and then rolled away blindly, terrified that the hind hooves might come down on top of him.

At no time during these acrobatics did Jack stop holding the stock of the musket very firmly with his right hand. He staggered up, realized his eyes were clenched shut, buried his face in the crook of his left arm, and tried to wipe away the heat and pain. The raw feel of his sleeve against his eyelids told him that he had been burnt, but not badly. He took the arm away and opened his eyes, then spun around like a drunk, trying to bring the enemy in view. He raised his musket again, to defend himself from any more sword-blows. But it moved far too easily. The weapon had been broken in half only a few inches past the flintlock-a yard of barrel was simply gone.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Why would you possibly need more than a seven round magazine to defend yourself in a defensive situation:

30 gunshots exchanged in Tomball home invasion

Home invasion in Tomball
TOMBALL, Texas – Harris County Precinct 4 deputies are on the hunt for two armed intruders after a home invasion in the overnight hours.

It happened around 12:30 a.m. on Maplewick Drive in the Lakewood Grove subdivision.

The homeowner told authorities he was sleeping when two men kicked in his front door.

According to investigators, the homeowner grabbed his pistol and began firing shots at the criminals from the top of the stairs.

"It's our understanding he was quite scared and terrified, in fear of his life. He discharged his weapon, and as they retreated, they shot back," said Assistant Chief Mark Herman with Harris County Precinct 4.

The men reportedly fired repeatedly at the homeowner before they fled in a 2015 Dodge pickup.
Deputies said no one was hurt, despite more than two dozen shots being unloaded

"I don't know what to expect next," said neighbor Dale Bahn. "There's a lot of people that have guns in their homes. In this area, there are several gun owners and a gun club."

Investigators are now reviewing surveillance from inside and outside the home in hopes of tracking the suspects down.

Sources told KHOU 11 New that authorities are looking into the possibility that these suspects could be connected to a home invasion in nearby Cypress last Thursday.

In that incident, a mother and her two young daughters were forced into a closet after five men barged through the back door of the home.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /22355763/
Last edited by williatw on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Gun control means hitting what you intend to hit.

I wonder if I could do it in a home invasion?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Tom Ligon wrote:Gun control means hitting what you intend to hit.

I wonder if I could do it in a home invasion?
This is one of the reasons conventional wisdom dictates the best home defense weapon is a short barreled shotgun loaded with 00 Buckshot. Each 12Ga. shell normally has 30 pellets the size of a .22 rimfire, and they spread very quickly so at the relatively short ranges inside a home, they have a much better chance of hitting. Also, the sound of a slide action shotgun is pretty iconic, and many of the bad guys when hearing it, will flee just from the sound.

Handguns are really intended for easy carry and you're not generally carrying them at home, so they are almost the last choice in home defense. Rifles are intended for greater ranges. Short barreled shotguns and especially bullpups that are easy to wield in close quarters, are very hard to beat indoors and you can even bounce the pellets off refrigerators and such to shoot around corners if you now what you're doing. Any gun though, is better than no gun at all.

And too I would note that this question whether we woulds shoot, is best answered by hunting. You can't know from whether you'd shoot a elk if when needed you'd shoot a person, but big game hunting, especially for any quarry that one respects and admires as majestic, is probably your closest test to whether you can put lead on target when the tension comes.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I have a sister who was considering getting "The Judge", a large revolver firing small gage shotgun shells.

The mind reels picturing a close discharge from one of these. Talk about a sawed-off shotgun!

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

The judge at first looks like a really good idea but my overall opinion after evaluation was at this is just up fancy showpiece weapon not really useful. The idea of a short barrel 410 at first thought is very appealing. But once you really start consider everything is not that great of an idea. The ballistics pretty much suck. When using for 410 shells is not enough time for the powder burn or expansion to occur properly. This reduces the amount of impact on to the target. Second off imagine Firing a shotgun shell out of your hand, even though it's a six shooter the odds are very slim that unless you're an experienced shooter use to the gun ,shall be able to get even one shot on target let alone six. One of the more interesting statistics in using a handgun is the number of shots missed at extremely close range. So in summary we have a hard to shoot, limited power, expensive weapon that could easily be replaced by far cheaper shotgun is more easy to use, more impact and less likely to miss the target.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.