Was Trayvon high?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Anti-drug arguments are mostly made by allies of the drug cartels and the prison industrial complex.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You and MSimon keep insinuating "pot" but you keep arguing for crack and meth.
Well yeah. Because after nearly 100 years of effort cocaine is just as available as it was before it was made illegal.

What do people normally do if a hundred years in a given direction gives no results. Well normally people stop wasting their time and money and try something else.

But we have a contingent in this country that thinks going after dopers is as important as going after rapists and murderers. Look at the decline in clearance of those types of crimes since emphasis was put on drugs. I would not call that an advance. Fortunately that contingent is in decline.

I do have an idea. We should quit screwing around. If police can cure medical problems then we should police in charge of cancer. Otherwise it might be a good idea to put doctors in the lead role in dealing with the medical problem of drugs.

=====

BTW I have yet to hear you come out against pot prohibition. Fortunately as I understand your previous comments you favor alcohol prohibition. Alcohol is our #1 problem drug. We need more people against it. If we get enough we can try alcohol prohibition again.

=====

As a nation we had a LOT of problems with stimulants until they were made illegal. Now we have a stimulant AND crime problem. I don't see putting drug cartels in charge of drug distribution as an improvement.

But a LOT of "Conservatives" think black markets are the solution to a LOT of problems. Or as I am won't to say: Baptists are the criminal's best friend. Objectively.

=====

Drug prohibitions historically last about 50 years. The WODs is coming to an end. It has lived out its natural life. The natural life being: until over 50% of the population has experience with the illegal drug. And how does a population get that experience? Well you know.....

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You and MSimon keep insinuating "pot" but you keep arguing for crack and meth.
Well yeah. Because after nearly 100 years of effort cocaine is just as available as it was before it was made illegal.

What do people normally do if a hundred years in a given direction gives no results. Well normally people stop wasting their time and money and try something else.

But we have a contingent in this country that thinks going after dopers is as important as going after rapists and murderers. Look at the decline in clearance of those types of crimes since emphasis was put on drugs. I would not call that an advance. Fortunately that contingent is in decline.

I do have an idea. We should quit screwing around. If police can cure medical problems then we should police in charge of cancer. Otherwise it might be a good idea to put doctors in the lead role in dealing with the medical problem of drugs.

=====

BTW I have yet to hear you come out against pot prohibition. Fortunately as I understand your previous comments you favor alcohol prohibition. Alcohol is our #1 problem drug. We need more people against it. If we get enough we can try alcohol prohibition again.

=====

As a nation we had a LOT of problems with stimulants until they were made illegal. Now we have a stimulant AND crime problem. I don't see putting drug cartels in charge of drug distribution as an improvement.

But a LOT of "Conservatives" think black markets are the solution to a LOT of problems. Or as I am won't to say: Baptists are the criminal's best friend. Objectively.

=====

Drug prohibitions historically last about 50 years. The WODs is coming to an end. It has lived out its natural life. The natural life being: until over 50% of the population has experience with the illegal drug. And how does a population get that experience? Well you know.....

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Not sure if this was the thread tracking the recent high strangeness regarding cannibalism and such. . .looks like is all drug related:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/0 ... d%3D167782
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Then you're stuck with the hopeless concept of "victimless crime" and the complete inability to learn life's lessons. If you think things like crack and meth and hallucinogens should be legalized, you're out of touch with reality.
They already are defacto legal and distributed by organized crime.

The arrests etc. are a Ptomekin village. They look good. They fill our prisons but they do hardly a thing to stem the flows.

But I'm with you. Ban hallucinogens. Starting with alcohol.

http://www.enotes.com/hallucinogens-ref ... ens-299049

Also note that when it comes to hallucinogens - they are as close as your nearest mushroom patch. Or many grow their own.

http://www.shroomery.org/8438/How-to-Gr ... -Mushrooms

Seriously - how deranged do you have to be to expect a war on plants and other growing things to be won? A war against chemistry sets? A war on desire? You might as well start a war on unpopular (in some circles) foods.

http://news.yahoo.com/bloombergs-soft-d ... 00812.html

All the laws do is inconvenience regular citizens - try buying cold medicine lately? - without seriously impacting the trade. But you have to hand it to our lawgivers. The inconvenience is proof "something is being done."

Funny. In most other areas of life engineers look at effectiveness. In this area many engineers behave like Democrats - good intentions are enough. Effectiveness is irrelevant.

It always amuses me to see "rock ribbed conservatives" espousing Progressive Policies. It is like everything they know about governments and markets goes out the window when confronted with a suitably enunciated "threat". i.e. the old saw about drugs making people stupid - especially those that don't use them.

We now have a large enough cohort with experience such that pot prohibition is now out of favor (something quite unusual compared to even 20 years ago) even among many committed prohibitionists.

If conservatives only knew history they would know that such a change is/was inevitable. Familiarity breeds acceptance.

====

Government is not a suitable tool for moral improvement. Even Jesus knew that. Funny that a sizable cohort of Christians in America never got that message from their religion's founder (well he did have the help of his disciples).

The ironies abound.

BTW the US government gave up the WODs as a serious endeavor in the 90s. You need only look at the decline in murder rates since then. Or the lack of whole gang takedowns (which increases the rate of violence as those remaining in the business - other gangs - fight for the newly opened territories) since around that time.

We had a whole gang takedown in my town in '88 (IIRC) and the resulting violence outraged the community. It hasn't been done here since. And lack of local gangs to attack is not a problem. There is no political will to do it.

The WODs is now just for profits and show. The political will to eradicate the trade has vanished. What is left is a modus vivendi - you keep the violence down and we will mostly leave you alone. We will pick off the most violence prone from time to time. But play ball and your gang is safe.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

This is hilarious:
Guzzling large amounts of soft drinks is bad for one. That is not the point. The point is government ought not to be dictating what is bad and what is good for people. The point is people ought to be able to decide for themselves. If the government has any role, it would be to provide information about the consequences of one's choices and to provide options.

While the slippery slope argument is often overused, it is apt in this case. After regulating the size of sugary drinks, no doubt -- for the good of all New Yorkers -- the size of things like pizza slices and steaks will be next. Once the government decides to do things for our own good, there is no stopping it, unless it is stopped at once.

http://news.yahoo.com/bloombergs-soft-d ... 00812.html
The message "if you don't stop hurting yourself we are going to throw you in jail" always amused me. Of course the corollary is: as we focus more on self harm we will put less effort into restraining those who would harm others. Look at the clearance rates for violent and property crimes since the 70s. They have declined. I'm not sure that is an improvement.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

MSimon wrote:
Government is not a suitable tool for moral improvement. Even Jesus knew that. Funny that a sizable cohort of Christians in America never got that message from their religion's founder (well he did have the help of his disciples).

The ironies abound.
People voting for government that "prevents" them from hurting themselves, by infringing on their inalienable rights.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.