What energy Costs

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

What energy Costs

Post by Jccarlton »

Levelized costs of new generating:
http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.o ... hnologies/

I'm not sure I agree with the over 30% capacity factor for wind. In any case this is pretty damning for renewables

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I am not quite sure I understand that correctly, but it seems like hydro comes away pretty badly in terms of cost. It is actually among the cheapest energy sources in my country. So I am a little confused.

olivier

Post by olivier »

So am I. Hydro need mountains and streams. You have them or not.
In my life I have seen so many economic studies demonstrating everything and its opposite. I do not trust any unless I am given every detail of the calculation so I have a chance to guess what they chose to conceal and whose pawns they are.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

Skipjack wrote:I am not quite sure I understand that correctly, but it seems like hydro comes away pretty badly in terms of cost. It is actually among the cheapest energy sources in my country. So I am a little confused.
If you look the hydro costs most of it's the initial capital costs, ie the dam and buying the watered land. Once the dam is built real cost for hydro are mostly transmission costs. The initial cost for hydro are very expensive especially if you have to pay market rates for interest, which is why hydro plants are by and large constructed by public power.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Jccarlton wrote: which is why hydro plants are by and large constructed by public power.
And when it is, the capital cost of the system is usually hidden in general taxation. If the users had to pay back that cost at true market rates via their utility bill, folks might see things in a different light.

jmc

Post by jmc »

There doesn't seem to be that much between them even wind seems to be only 50% over and a above the chepest energy source (which is not enough to disastrously break the economy)

Nuclear and geothermal seem to come out way ahead.

Maybe the cost of Hydro is the cost for building new projects, I believe in the past alot of the land used to build hydro electric dams was acquired by forced purchases, maybe purchasing land from the local farmers simply costs more these days. You can see the capital costs are over 85% of total costs.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

There doesn't seem to be that much between them even wind seems to be only 50% over and a above the chepest energy source (which is not enough to disastrously break the economy)
Does that count the 100% backup required?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.