The Ugly Truth About National Debt

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

The Ugly Truth About National Debt

Post by Jccarlton »

From CNN Money of all places:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/17/news/ec ... /index.htm

Duh, I've been saying this every place I could for two years now. I was saying this before the 2008 election. I was called crazy. Now I wish I was.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The only thing the article gets wrong is that it expects instant results. I'd give the new Congress 6 months. If they haven't produced results by then....
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

One way or another I'm expecting a wild ride. How much from out of control dept vs. entitlement protests I can't predict yet.

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

As far as I'm concerned, the House has already produced results: they passed a bill repealing the Health Care Act. It doesn't matter (yet) that it won't pass the Senate, or that the President will veto it if it does. All they have to do is stick to their guns until 2012, when 1/3 of the Senate is up for grabs, along with the Presidency.

They're next magic trick: Cutting $2.5 trillion from the budget. Again, doesn't matter (yet) if it makes it to the President's desk. So long as the House passes it, the message is sent.
Perrin Ehlinger

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Scupperer wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the House has already produced results: they passed a bill repealing the Health Care Act. It doesn't matter (yet) that it won't pass the Senate, or that the President will veto it if it does. All they have to do is stick to their guns until 2012, when 1/3 of the Senate is up for grabs, along with the Presidency.

They're next magic trick: Cutting $2.5 trillion from the budget. Again, doesn't matter (yet) if it makes it to the President's desk. So long as the House passes it, the message is sent.
I'll buy that. It wasn't true when I wrote my comment. I gave them six months. All they needed was a week. Nice start.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.