What do you think about new report from Focus Fusion (LPPX)?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Maui

Re: What do you think about new report from Focus Fusion (LP

Post by Maui »

Focus fusion news is discussed in this thread in the News forum:
viewtopic.php?t=2126&start=315

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Nice, although I'm not terribly impressed by LPP's DT numbers. After all, JT-60 already achieved Q = 1.25 back in 1998 using DT fuel—in fact, using the same D/T ratio LPP uses. :wink:
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Breakable

Post by Breakable »

Just to clarify "In fusion terminology JT-60 achieved conditions which in D–T would have provided Q = 1.25"

Breakable

Post by Breakable »

Also triple product does not include energy invested and that makes q cry

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

My point is that the results of an experiment not conducted are the results of an experiment not conducted. Also, as Rezwan recalled to my mind on the other forum, the NIF folks have not used the optimum D/T ratio in their shots so far. At some point in the not-too-distant future they will.

My overall impression of the July report is that it was a publicity stunt also used as a stopgap monthly report while the FF-1 device was still being upgraded. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually would have preferred a report on the mundane details of the upgrade, even if it might not have made the PESN newsfeed. I will be impressed when I hear the renovated FF-1 has been fired, and even more so when the results of those shots have been reported. At that point the data used in the July report will hopefully be obsolete.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.