Graphine Electrodes for SuperCaps the Easy Way.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JohnFul

Graphine Electrodes for SuperCaps the Easy Way.

Post by JohnFul »

So, you spray a bit of Graphite Oxide solution on an old DVD, pop it in the DVD writer, and voila!

http://scitechdaily.com/making-graphene ... dvd-discs/

This is actually an improvement on that one from Rice University last year that coated paper with grapite oxide, then printed patterns with a CO2 laser.

I think I like this one better. You can get a Dell or HP branded OEM Lightscribe burner just about anywhere for $40 or less. Sounds like something a home hobbyist could figure out without too much trouble. What's the going price for Graphite Oxide power or solution?

J

TheRadicalModerate

Post by TheRadicalModerate »

Another article on this here.

I don't see why this method can't be adapted to deposit graphene directly onto integrated circuits, which ought to be a big fat hairy deal.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have visions of an fun car anti-theft device dangling from the rear-view mirror, fully charged, and beggin for a would be theif to touch it. Can you say "Shiny Leathal Object".... :D

But seriously, this tech combined with OLED flexible screens means a whole new gen of handheld gadgetry, not to mention the ability to put more stuff in weird places, like a semi-transparent stick on display GPS Nav unit right on your windshield...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Comments were interesting, but need a few headsmacks. I'd imagine a power pack swap would work well, but the way you'd do it is not having the owner of the car own the power pack. Sure, they might own at least one, but for a long trip, you'd swap that out for one you lease, and you swap those out. The leasing companies would deal with maintenance and such, with agreements working around location much the same way companies deal with train cars, semi trailers, etc. With these, the person getting stuff moved doesn't own the trailer, and neither does the driver/carrier all the time. I'll confess to not being familiar with how exactly it all works, but trailers are swapped out all the time and the cargo gets where it needs to be without trouble.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

JohnFul

Post by JohnFul »

Oh my. As for depositing Graphine directly on silicon wafers (integrated circuits) now we have http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/03/simple ... oduce.html

You know they sell dry ice up at walmart. I have a ball mill (rock tumbler filled with stainless steel ball bearings). This could get fun. It's all within the reach of an amateur experimenter. That's the best part.

J

JohnFul

Post by JohnFul »

The temperature needed to heat it to to get the graphine to link is 900 degrees c. I have a kiln for doing casting silver and gold. The melting point of gold is ~915-930 decrees C depending on what it's alloyed with. The kiln should be sufficient to try and replicate some of this.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I wonder if label-burning LabelFlash/LightScribe CD drives would also work.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I wonder if label-burning LabelFlash/LightScribe CD drives would also work.
That's what they use in the video IIRC.

Now, get some copper solution, some COTS, and maybe something to make resistors out of, and an inkjet set up to do multiple layers. A few layers of supercap to power, and then print out the circuit. Only thing left is the microchips, at least for now. COTS can make single device items, like individual transistors and diodes, only the more complicated stuff needs to be made in a chip fab.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Oops. Thanks. I rarely follow video links, due to Verizon's data throttling of my "unlimited" service.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Anyone try this yet? Can't find an easy online source of graphite oxide.