If Only They Would Stick to Fiscal Issues

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

If Only They Would Stick to Fiscal Issues

Post by MSimon »

From: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/ ... he-senate/
Republican hopes for taking back the Senate this year have absorbed a variety of blows in the past several months. Olympia Snowe’s retirement and Todd Akin’s comments about pregnancy and rape dramatically reduced the chances of a GOP takeover. But Richard Mourdock’s saying that a pregnancy caused by rape is something that God intended to happen may have been the coup de grace. Here’s the quote from an answer to a question about his opposition to even the rape exception on abortion:
I’ve struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.
Finishing with:
That creates a situation where even Mitt Romney’s coattails — assuming he has any — won’t be enough to win the Republicans the four seats they need to become a majority in the Senate. This means that even if Romney is elected and the Republicans hold the House of Representatives, the repeal of ObamaCare is going to need some Democratic support in the Senate. If the repeal effort fails, the two seats the GOP appears to be losing as a result of the issue of rape and pregnancy will loom large in the history of this chapter of political history.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Where do they get these people?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

choff

Post by choff »

My concern with Romney is a story that he was a high school bully. If it's true and he wins, then what kind of message does it send to kids, that if they terrorize younger smaller children it demonstrates leadership potential?

I have no problem with national leaders who believe in private enterprise, my big concern is national leaders who believe in pirate enterprise.
CHoff

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

mvanwink5 wrote:Where do they get these people?
George Carlin summed it up nicely: "Remember -- half the world's population is below average." :D

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

It is the religious right and the unwillingness of the libertarians to distance themselves from them that is hurting the republicans the most. I know a lot of people that are libertarians that cant do anything but shake their heads and turn away at the sight of saying like these...

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

My brother bullied me when I was young, what does that mean? He is not that way now.

So, what does it say to kids that Obama used cocaine or went to that church or was close to Ayers (who killed a policeman), etc? Face it Ron Paul is not running and G. Johnson hasn't a chance. Some Libertarians say to vote for Obama because that is the quickest way to bankruptcy, but what then?

Do your best in picking the devil or the deep blue. I prefer to put off bankruptcy.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

krenshala wrote:
mvanwink5 wrote:Where do they get these people?
George Carlin summed it up nicely: "Remember -- half the world's population is below average." :D
Nice George Carlin vid on the subject at hand:

http://classicalvalues.com/2012/10/the-people-suck/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:It is the religious right and the unwillingness of the libertarians to distance themselves from them that is hurting the republicans the most. I know a lot of people that are libertarians that cant do anything but shake their heads and turn away at the sight of saying like these...
I'm voting Johnson/Gray in a few days. Just to send a message.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:It is the religious right and the unwillingness of the libertarians to distance themselves from them that is hurting the republicans the most.
So you think parties should be monolithic voting blocks rather than diverse? You need to understand, that is not what the 2 party system is based upon and a larger number of parties gets even less done.

What we have works. You just have to be willing to be one voice amongst many inside whichever party you embrace. Liberals are not all the same and neither are conservatives. Complaining about when someone you disagree with strongly inside your wing embarrasses you doesn't make much sense.

Just remember, atheists are pretty much an embarrassment to any party they embrace, but liberals don't complain about Bill Maher. There's a certain pragmatism expected for people to act like adults and get along. Likewise, those who generally agree with the conservative/Republican candidate are wise not to complain too loudly or too often about the religious right, who make up the bulk of the party.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would say that

is a lost round. Not a message by any means. If anything, it helps Obama keep his job. Might as well vote for Ross Perot.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:I would say that

is a lost round. Not a message by any means. If anything, it helps Obama keep his job. Might as well vote for Ross Perot.
I live in Illinois. Nothing I can do will help Romney here. Might as well lose a round. I could get lucky.

And it is a message. The Libertarian vote made Palin a national figure.

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... palin.html

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

and a larger number of parties gets even less done
not really true. At least it can actually facilitate change by giving people more options (and thus forcing the other two to do a better job if they dont want to loose too many voters).
atheists are pretty much an embarrassment to any party they embrace
Of course you would say that, ROFL!

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:
atheists are pretty much an embarrassment to any party they embrace
Of course you would say that, ROFL!
Well of course they are. There is probably not more than 1% of liberals who like and agree with Bill Maher and most of them are deeply embarrassed by much of what he says. He's extremely outspoken, deliberately offensive to the vast majority and most liberals are ashamed to have him give the poor reputation he does to the left. Not hard to do the math here. Just as the religious right embarrasses the right, the irreligious left embarrasses the left.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Just remember, atheists are pretty much an embarrassment to any party they embrace
You should have seen how well Alan Keyes did in Illinois in '04. I voted for Obama that year (otherwise straight Republican), to send a message.

Did it arrive in your inbox yet? ;-)

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... -bush.html

My then State Senator - Dave Syeverson was responsible for bringing in Keyes. Dave is/was a religious conservative. Very funny.

The country is going more rational and less religious (look at the stats and the trending of the youth). More libertarian less conservative (well libertarianism is the original American conservatism - but that is another story). You might want to give a look at why American conservatives had such a distaste for Catholics for the longest time. Until American Conservatism (libertarianism) turned into Catholicism without the church. We HAVE lost our way. We are in the process of refinding it.

I do have a religion. Of sorts. But the only place it would be welcomed would be in movie theaters. Provided they were showing the right movies.

I place no reliance on virgin or pigeon my method is science my aim is religion.

My general attitude is that you can't control people. Might as well leave them to their own devices. They will learn from it. Or not. But in any case the control effort will be an expensive failure. Alcohol Prohibition being the last resolved case in point. Drug Prohibition the next.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

with Bill Maher and most of them are deeply embarrassed by much of what he says
Bill Maher is a comedian, no? I dont know much about him beyond that. Not sure what he did that was so embarassing.
You cant throw out all the atheists because of one comedian...
There are others, who argue rationally and in no way offensively against religion. No need to be embarassed of them.