How Republicans Lost The Election

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

How Republicans Lost The Election

Post by MSimon »

http://www.redmassgroup.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=16445

I read about 1/4 of the way through and the first thing I thought was - the Libertarian wing of the party could do this. And what was the first comment? The Libertarian wing of the Party can do this.

And what does the "base" want? Fewer Libertarians in the Party. Too funny.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Re: How Republicans Lost The Election

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:http://www.redmassgroup.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=16445

I read about 1/4 of the way through and the first thing I thought was - the Libertarian wing of the party could do this. And what was the first comment? The Libertarian wing of the Party can do this.

And what does the "base" want? Fewer Libertarians in the Party. Too funny.

I started reading that earlier, but quickly grew tired of the assumption that the problem was too few tech geeks in Republican ranks.

The problem is that nothing gets on the television airwaves without going through the filter of Liberal Democrat Union members from New York or Los Angeles. That, and they have had decades to dumb down the population, plus a smattering of out and out vote fraud.

Not enough geek tech is just simple minded as an answer. With intelligent and informed voters, data-mining isn't going to tip the balance.

No, what we are witnessing is a natural phenomena. It has happened many times before in human history, and it is a baked into the cake of human DNA. We are collapsing like the Roman Empire, and the sensible people need to just get out of the way.

Pain will fix stupid.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Data mining can be quite helpful. The margin of difference was 5%. I believe that margin could be made up. Find out who the voters on the margin are and what they want. And of course if what they want drives the base to stay home the Rs are sunk.

There was a Libertarian surge this past election. Not enough to make up the difference to be sure. But how many libertarian Republicans decided to stay home?

Look at Colorado - pot legalization got more votes than Obama.

The Republicans are throwing away votes.

And if you are waiting for the collapse it may take a while. The Soviets lasted 70 years. And we are in no where near as bad a shape as they were.

And you have heard my rants about libertarians in high tech often. The Republican base doesn't want them. In fact given their pot smoking propensities the R base prefers to make war on them. Way to get votes.

====

You talk about stupid voters. I think the problem is the stupid party. And tactically the Republicans have the stupidest voters even if they are mostly strategically right.

A comment here gets it:
I’m sorry, but I just don’t believe the Republicans lost because of inferior technology. They lost because they have inferior philosophy; It’s cluttered and inconsistent, and their “leaders” never seem to be able to articulate exactly what it is that they stand for. They hate big government but increase its size and power every chance they get. They simply refuse to stand up for individual freedom and capitalism. When was the last time a Republican congressman ever said, “That’s not the proper function of the federal government; Better to leave it to the States or the People”? Yeah, I can’t remember either…

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/01/ho ... few-links/
Who has a more consistent philosophy? The libertarian wing of the party.

And who is a big part of that inconsistency? The Southern Democrats. Uh. I mean Republicans. The Republicans used to harbor "free thinkers" - mostly driven out of the Party since the Southerners took it over. Thank you Richard Nixon. The Goldwater wing of the Party has been pushed down once Reagan was no longer President. And yet - who do Republicans still swoon over? Reagan. You can see the dress. But you miss the woman who was in it.

The Democrats do some things I like. I can work with them. Can you?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

100% SPOT ON (0.00 / 0)
I'm an illustrator and art director in California...and, yes, a Republican. Everything you talk about here are issues I could detect but not quantify. I got into activism after the 2008 campaign out of sheer frustration with the sloppy, dated branding and clunky technology used. Of course, I come from a more logo/branding/marketing angle, but its all part of the same dillema. And establishment GOP have stood in my way every single step of the way.

The GOP is overly intellectual about principles that it has lost all sight of HOW to get to real people.

Sadly, I don't think our chairman has the vision or humility to do what you've outlined...but I pray with all my heart that he does.

by: LipstickUnderground @ Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 01:52:20 AM UTC

Yes. The Republican base is intransigent. They will give up nothing in order to win. They want 100% or nothing. Well I voted for nothing for them. And agitated similarly. It probably cost them some votes. I hope so. When the pain gets bad enough they will come to their senses. Or not.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

The repocrats lost because they were not honest enough with themselves to realize that a lot of their bedrock wouldn't vote for a Morman.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The Republicans will have to give up their totalitarian impulses. A political tendency that was even more pronounced in the South than in the North during the Civil War.

To be expected given that the Republican Party had quite a few "free thinkers" in it during that era.

I'm agitating among the few remaining free thinkers in the party and suggesting that they leave the party until it comes to its senses. I may be having some success. And Romney was no advertisement for the classical liberals in the Party. Palin was more in tune with them.

My next hope is Rand Paul. If they run another POG candidate I'm going to agitate more strongly for the Libertarians next time.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:The repocrats lost because they were not honest enough with themselves to realize that a lot of their bedrock wouldn't vote for a Morman.
Personally I wouldn't vote for any POG candidate. Thus I voted Communist Obama over Theocon Keyes in 2004.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I wish I could have voted AGAINST Obama!

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:Data mining can be quite helpful. The margin of difference was 5%. I believe that margin could be made up.

If such a failure as Obama is only assailable on the margins, the existing structure is cracked too badly to save.

MSimon wrote: Find out who the voters on the margin are and what they want. And of course if what they want drives the base to stay home the Rs are sunk.

There was a Libertarian surge this past election. Not enough to make up the difference to be sure. But how many libertarian Republicans decided to stay home?

Look at Colorado - pot legalization got more votes than Obama.

The Republicans are throwing away votes.

Good riddance. It's time for fire. Votes that have to be won by promising idiocy are just delaying the inevitable. Better to bring the burn and start anew from the ashes.

MSimon wrote:
And if you are waiting for the collapse it may take a while. The Soviets lasted 70 years. And we are in no where near as bad a shape as they were.

You are measuring it wrong. We are in Horrible sociological shape. Far worse than the Soviets ever had to deal with. The only reason we are even functional at all is because of a misplaced faith in the viability of the Dollar. I think Ron Paul is a kook, but he got this right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKcB_PSdb8

Once a financial panic starts, it's going to be a bloodlust. We are an explosion which hasn't been ignited yet.

MSimon wrote: And you have heard my rants about libertarians in high tech often. The Republican base doesn't want them. In fact given their pot smoking propensities the R base prefers to make war on them. Way to get votes.

====

You talk about stupid voters. I think the problem is the stupid party. And tactically the Republicans have the stupidest voters even if they are mostly strategically right.

A comment here gets it:
I’m sorry, but I just don’t believe the Republicans lost because of inferior technology. They lost because they have inferior philosophy; It’s cluttered and inconsistent, and their “leaders” never seem to be able to articulate exactly what it is that they stand for. They hate big government but increase its size and power every chance they get. They simply refuse to stand up for individual freedom and capitalism. When was the last time a Republican congressman ever said, “That’s not the proper function of the federal government; Better to leave it to the States or the People”? Yeah, I can’t remember either…

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/01/ho ... few-links/
Who has a more consistent philosophy? The libertarian wing of the party.

And who is a big part of that inconsistency? The Southern Democrats. Uh. I mean Republicans. The Republicans used to harbor "free thinkers" - mostly driven out of the Party since the Southerners took it over. Thank you Richard Nixon. The Goldwater wing of the Party has been pushed down once Reagan was no longer President. And yet - who do Republicans still swoon over? Reagan. You can see the dress. But you miss the woman who was in it.

The Democrats do some things I like. I can work with them. Can you?

No. And if you think you can, you are just being naive.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
100% SPOT ON (0.00 / 0)
I'm an illustrator and art director in California...and, yes, a Republican. Everything you talk about here are issues I could detect but not quantify. I got into activism after the 2008 campaign out of sheer frustration with the sloppy, dated branding and clunky technology used. Of course, I come from a more logo/branding/marketing angle, but its all part of the same dillema. And establishment GOP have stood in my way every single step of the way.

The GOP is overly intellectual about principles that it has lost all sight of HOW to get to real people.

Sadly, I don't think our chairman has the vision or humility to do what you've outlined...but I pray with all my heart that he does.

by: LipstickUnderground @ Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 01:52:20 AM UTC

Yes. The Republican base is intransigent. They will give up nothing in order to win. They want 100% or nothing. Well I voted for nothing for them. And agitated similarly. It probably cost them some votes. I hope so. When the pain gets bad enough they will come to their senses. Or not.

Don't know if you've ever heard the story of "Stone Soup."

Well, replace the "stone" with a turd, and ask yourself if you want to compromise?
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:The repocrats lost because they were not honest enough with themselves to realize that a lot of their bedrock wouldn't vote for a Morman.

I actually suspect that is a part of it. I thought it was folly for them to keep pushing Romney because I thought a large part of the base would simply balk on that score. Apparently the North Eastern Monied Country Club Republicans who really aren't all that religious (well, at least who don't believe in anything they won't compromise on.) but who have a heavy influence on the National party never contemplated the notion that a chunk of the party would find his religion objectionable.

I don't know that this is true, but I suspect that it is.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Personally I wouldn't vote for any POG candidate. Thus I voted Communist Obama over Theocon Keyes in 2004.
j

Yes, you much prefer a party in which the candidate *IS* the god.

ImageImage
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:The Republicans will have to give up their totalitarian impulses. A political tendency that was even more pronounced in the South than in the North during the Civil War.

To be expected given that the Republican Party had quite a few "free thinkers" in it during that era.

I'm agitating among the few remaining free thinkers in the party and suggesting that they leave the party until it comes to its senses. I may be having some success. And Romney was no advertisement for the classical liberals in the Party. Palin was more in tune with them.

My next hope is Rand Paul. If they run another POG candidate I'm going to agitate more strongly for the Libertarians next time.

I don't know why you think there will be a next time. Puerto Rico has voted to become a state. You're nuts if you think they will ever vote Republican. Two more Democrat Senators, and several more electoral votes permanently in the Democrat camp. No, the Democrats own this system now, and will continue to do so until it collapses. If *THIS* Democrat couldn't be ejected, no Democrat can.

Time for fire.
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Re: How Republicans Lost The Election

Post by Skipjack »

Diogenes wrote:
The problem is that nothing gets on the television airwaves without going through the filter of Liberal Democrat Union members from New York or Los Angeles.

Pain will fix stupid.
FOX noise is still the most watched "News" TV station in the US and it is ultra conservative.
The republicans lost, because their candidates were even bigger dimwitts than their opponents. They appealed to the base, not recognizing that not even the majority of republicans want a bunch of morons who run arround disregarding modern science for religious believes, who disrespect women and tout nonsense like "a woman cant get pregnant from rape". Accordingly, they lost big among the female population.
Fact is that they did not loose because the other side was better in any way, or was better promoted in any way. They lost because they were even worse than the others (which is pretty hard to do).