JAM Marijuana Users Are Thinner Healthier

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

JAM Marijuana Users Are Thinner Healthier

Post by MSimon »

A recent study published in the Journal of American Medicine has some conclusions that might make marijuana advocates pretty excited. According to the study, the potent plant usually known for causing the munchies might actually help people be thinner. Researchers looked at the effect of the drug on metabolic processes and discovered a correlation between smaller waist circumference and marijuana use.

The results showed that, in addition to being thinner, marijuana users appeared to be more healthy overall than those who have never used marijuana.

The study looked at more than 4,600 people, 12 percent of whom said they were current marijuana users and 42 percent of whom said they had used in the past. Previous research had shown that marijuana users had a lower prevalence for diabetes and obesity, but this was the first study where scientists tried to determine if there was a link between insulin and glucose levels and marijuana usage, Yahoo Shine reported.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... -non-users
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rj40

Re: JAM Marijuana Users Are Thinner Healthier

Post by rj40 »

Hey! Peer reviewed even. Is there a single website that collates all the peer reviewed articles on this tiopic? Both good and bad.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rj40 wrote:Hey! Peer reviewed even. Is there a single website that collates all the peer reviewed articles on this tiopic? Both good and bad.
No. The NIH does a fair job. Depending on what day you look they have something like 60K+ articles on endocannabinoids alone.

Drs are fairly well versed on the subject. In fact Dr. Gupta is very late to the game. And his opinions are very much colored by the prohibition mind set.

I met a lady last Saturday - a lawyer - who is writing the med pot regulations for Illinois. She was very well versed on the subject. But she had missed a few things. Like the right way to do a chemical assay on the plant material. So I clued her in. I was designing electronics for HPLC in Berzerkeley back in '67. Chromatronics. I also worked on GC at American Optical in Richmond, CA. So I gave her links on GCMS. And HPLC/MS.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

So, the users in the study take marijuana by smoking it?

I fail to see how any chemical benefit of the drug is not more than offset by the repeated exposure to the lungs to all the toxic by-products of inhaling the smoke from a smoldering collection of leaves and paper. Many tobacco smokers have thinner waistlines as well -- as a side effect of smoking -- and this is not necessarily a sign of health.

rj40

Post by rj40 »

Yeah, that's a good point. How was it ingested? Breathing smoke doesn't seem safe to me.