Pot Bad for Global Warming

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

Pot Bad for Global Warming

Post by mvanwink5 »

Shamefully, I hang my head for bringing up this topic, but the devil made me do it. WUWT blogged a Mother's Earth Article on MJ and the red button of death connection to MJ growing and CO2. :oops:
For every pound of pot grown indoors, 4600lbs of carbon dioxide goes into the atmosphere. California’s production equates to emissions of 3 million cars.
So, the left coast will have to do more than drive a Prius to assuage the guilt of lighting up.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Re: Pot Bad for Global Warming

Post by paperburn1 »

This has been the dirty little secret for a long time, most pot production is done in a non sustainable or agriculturally friendly way.
And you don't want to talk about the chemicals used either. :cry:
Sadly most of our food is now grown the same way.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... al-impacts

The cannabis industry right now is in sort of the same position that the meatpacking industry was in before The Jungle was written by Upton Sinclair," says Stephen DeAngelo, the founder of Oakland's Harborside Health Center, a large medical marijuana dispensary. "It simply isn't regulated, and the upshot is that nobody really knows what's in their cannabis."

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Simon would probably say this is another reason to decriminalize pot.
If people could grow it legally outdoors, they would not have to resort to high energy indoor hydroponic gardens.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Except for the profit margins in producing concentrated mass product in short timeframes...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose. All that CO2 will help other plants to thrive, (I wonder if those plants will get stoned doing it?), plus we can count on stoners being driven into the skeptic camp by the alarmists.
CHoff

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

:lol: Murphy's law of unintended consequences...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Well, if it weren't for prohibition, high quality pot (for medicine and personal consumption) could be grown in green houses and hemp could be grown in fields. Green house tomatoes are under $10 an lb. which is about 453 grams if you are of the Metric persuasion.

It is not the pot. It is the Prohibition. Which is coming to an end. Because it is unsustainable. Heh.

BTW those of you of the Prohibitionist persuasion ought to look up how the body's endocannabinoid system fights cancer. Cancer cell aptosis. And then you might want to go to NIH and look at the parallel studies of cannabis. Only animal studies so far. In the USA human trials are blocked by the DEA. What is that going to do to their rep when the masses learn that cannabis can cure cancer? Oh. They will learn about it. I'm working on it. Nice video on the subject by a Spanish biochemist:

http://vimeo.com/83094404
Dr. Christina Sanchez is a molecular biologist at Compultense University in Madrid Spain, her research led to the findings that THC does indeed kill cancer cells!
Her English is pretty good so you will find her easy to understand.

Another bit of good news:

Gov't approves study of marijuana smoking to treat PTSD in military veterans
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/government- ... -veterans/

CBS News! How about that? BTW when the studies are finally done I think we will find that a very high proportion of "recreational" users are smoking pot to self medicate for PTSD. Mostly acquired from child abuse. Won't it be wonderful when Prohibitionists get a reputation for further abusing abused children? The time is coming. And I'm doing my part to accelerate it. Heh.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:Except for the profit margins in producing concentrated mass product in short timeframes...
Except for the profit margins in producing concentrated illegal mass product in short timeframes...

FIFY
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I believe we are addressing the problems in production, not legality. How poisons are used on the product that will effect the end user in a negative way, diverting natural water flows, local environmental harm. I get the feeling that making it legal will have a very small effect on that in the sort term. So until it is legal where do these people think they have the right to ruin habitat that we are trying to preserve?
Their motive is profit pure and simple. They are not concerned with the care of man but just how many dollars they can put in there own pocket. I am an avid gardener so I can safely say you could grow all the weed you need for you and a few friends in a few square feet. These people are only involved for easy money. That is the only reason to farm in the manor and practice that they do. They could grow in an acceptable environmentally soft practice but they choose not to because they are lazy and want the fastest return for the least amount of work. Any defense of these practices is not based in reality. In reality the law has little bearing on what they do when growing their weed. But profit does.

That is my biggest problem with the drug crowd. Whatever it takes to get what you want, blame something else for the problem and turn a bind eye to problems it causes. Every legitimate enterprise has a sanctioning body. They set standards, methods, approved practice, also restrict and govern. Right now in the pot industry there is not a real control mechanism.
I am now going to stop ranting and get me my morning coffee (my legal drug of choice.)
Last edited by paperburn1 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

My hats off to true gardeners. :D

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

we are almost neighbors
crystal coast

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

So until it is legal where do these people think they have the right to ruin habitat that we are trying to preserve?
Uh. I noticed no Federal Drug Prohibition Amendment. It is the government that is acting illegally. But OK. Granting your premise (environmental harm) shouldn't you be lobbying your government as hard as possible to end prohibition?

BTW illegal alcohol caused similar environmental harms back in the day. You would think Americans are too stupid to learn from their history. And you would be correct.

And I suppose I should also mention that any law abrogating natural rights is invalid from the get go.

I mean seriously. Outlawing a plant? You would think Americans were insane to be so arrogant. And you would be correct.

And outlawing a plant that cures cancer, stops seizures in epileptics, ameliorates PTSD, and a host of other goodness? Well you would think Americans are not only stupid but evil. And you would be correct.

I'm enjoying the end of Prohibition more than any other farce I have been witness to. We have gone from evil dopers to evil Prohibitionists. I laugh more every day. And the discrediting of government (no medical use - really?) is just a side benefit, but a not inconsequential one.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I believe we are addressing the problems in production, not legality.(once again)
Concentrate very hard and you may be able to stay on subject.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

paperburn1 wrote:I believe we are addressing the problems in production, not legality.(once again)
Concentrate very hard and you may be able to stay on subject.
But the problems of production are tied to the legality. Or hadn't you noticed?

Do I need to get government permission to set up a greenhouse to grow tomatoes? What if tomatoes were illegal? Well it complicates production donnit?