31,000 scientists say global warming is a hoax

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

31,000 scientists say global warming is a hoax

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ltgbrown

Re: 31,000 scientists say global warming is a hoax

Post by ltgbrown »

Where do you get "31,000 scientists" from this? I see one very old meteorologist.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

You need to watch the vid. He references a new paper signed by 31k scientists, 9k of which are PhD's. Didn't say the name.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I'm sorry, was there a point to "very old?" And what to you is very old? When I was 24 years old and had a co-op student working for me, the co-op student said, gosh Mr. VanWinkle, you look young for your age.

Sounds to me like you need to go to a college campus and get a feel for how old and petrified you yourself are. :lol:
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Ah, I was at work and could not watch the video.

Perhaps "very" was not needed. My point, not that I had much I suppose, was that sometimes when you are set in your ways, you are set in your beliefs.

A somewhat insensitive statement on my part since the content of the argument is what is important.

Either way, I find the evidence hard to argue with; Earth is getting warmer. The only thing, from my point of view, that you could possibly argue, is the cause.

Even if you don't believe in global warming and that humanity caused it, why would you not want to do everything possible to get off the fossil fuel (terrorist/idiot country funding) tit as soon as possible? Why would you not want to make preserving the environment a top priority? Fund fusion research and stop funding Iran, Saudi Arabi, Qatar, Russia, Syria, Libya, Nigeria, Venezuela, etc, etc.

Like a night of beer drinking, I guess I have broken the seal. darn it.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Actually, the argument is about whether or not something needs to be done to stop burning fossil fuel as a threat to anything. In fact, higher CO2 levels are especially beneficial to crops both as CO2 fertilization
(see video for graphic evidence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qVNK6z ... r_embedded )
and for drought resistance for plants (higher CO2 leads to smaller leaf pore size, controlled to enable CO2 to be absorbed - smaller pore size leads to less moisture loss).

Further, we are likely at the end of the Holocene, not that there is much we can do to stop it. So, if I had a pick for a reasonable worry, warmer is not what first comes to mind, colder would come earlier than warmer.

In so far as the source of the fossil fuel, coal is the first on the Enviro target, not the fuel coming from those that you listed. Therefore, your argument seems to be of no interest to the CAGW true believers.

Economic fusion is important all by itself, but from what I can see the Enviros are only truly interested in shutting down reliable power production, not real and useful, reliable alternatives that don't cost an arm and leg and don't mean massive inconvenience like "wind" and "solar." So, I don't accept the massive subsidy for "alternative" power and shutting down of fossil fuel power.

I do appreciate your thoughtfulness and rejection of evaluating anyones arguments by how "old" they are.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think Glen has the core point; It is an immediate imperative to stop enabling morons with cash. The secondary imperative is to do right by planetary resource management. The first is such as it is a more immediate threat than the second while both have possibly permanent consequences.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

A perfect interpretation/re-stating of my core thought.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It is a fundamental mistake to phrase the problem in terms of a solution coming by way of politicians, cronies, and bureaucrats, as was done above. All resources are scarce. Put gubbermant in charge of scarce resources and you end up with no toilet paper, rotting vegetables in warehouses, fingerprinting, ration cards and Venezuela. Come on guys.

And I still say the biggest worry is cold, but that does not mean the gubbermant should be marshaled to deal with that instead of the imagined worry of warming as All CAGW'ers seem hell bent on doing .....

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

mvanwink5 wrote:It is a fundamental mistake to phrase the problem in terms of a solution coming by way of politicians, cronies, and bureaucrats, as was done above.
I don't think we'll ever see a solution come form them, but given even a single energy-wise leader, we could see renewed investment in nuclear solutions and the diminishing of fossil fuel power over time. Word is, Musk is gonna build his super-sized battery plant in either TX or CA, and this will change the place of electric cars in society. He'll be situated to take control of the market and most people are sympathetic enough with environmentalist issues to swap out their daily driver for a Tesla X, should the recharging become available. industry will lead this change through the pocket book, but it will be helped or hindered by the politicians who make the policy and create tax credits, subsidies and punitive actions against high carbon consequences. Selling the carbon tax to the nation is just the biggest scam the planet has ever seen. Telling people its okay for any reason seems wrong, but we do need to stop burning fossil fuels the way we do, and most people believe the ends justify the means, even when this means deceiving the entire majority of a nation.

Scary, the "new morality" is the same old immorality, but this is where we've got to.

John Gallagher

Post by John Gallagher »

Good old Tea Party Network..... :twisted:

John Gallagher

Post by John Gallagher »

Sorry I was so overwhelmed by this revelation that I couldn't stop farting.
That's Tea Party 'News' Network. How could I question..... :oops:

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

TP seems to have been infiltrated by conservative Progs. Originally the TP just wanted the Progs to get off their backs and stop bankrupting the country. But Progs always seem to find a way using operatives to twist simple objectives into their own bloated, meddlesome, treat humans like farm animals that need care taking cradle to grave, arrogant objectives.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I feel the most eminent threat is our energy shortage. In 20 year we will not have the capacity to supply our needs. Notice I said capacity , not available resources.
Most all of our woes can be solved by more CLEAN generation capacity.
LA running out of water, no problem distill more from the ocean.
Drought, Food growing Factory. a new revolution if we have enough energy to run the pumps and keep the lights on.
Immediate threat of war, China / Russia would not be doing its aggression if they had a reliable source that would take them to the next century.
Transportation, distributed power mean distributed transportation.
Space becomes our final frontier again.
I can go on and on
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.