Police Brutality Statistics

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Re: Police Brutality Statistics

Post by MSimon »

Baltimore Police Officer Accused of Working for Heroin Dealer

Officer Ashley Roane Arrested for Federal Drug, Gun, and Identity Fraud Crimes; U.S. Attorney Calls Allegations “Appalling Violation of Public Trust”

How could this happen? Aren't police supposed to be enforcing the laws? Evidently he didn't believe totally in prohibition. And was profiting from his convictions.
Baltimore Police Officer Ashley Roane, age 25, of Pikesville, Maryland, has been charged with helping a heroin dealer by providing armed, uniformed security for drug transactions; offering advance notice of search warrants; and using police databases to check for informants. In addition, Roane and her roommate, Erica Hughes, also age 25, of Pikesville, have been charged with aggravated identity theft in connection with a scheme in which Roane used a police database to obtain the names of victims to be used to obtain fraudulent tax refunds. The criminal complaint was filed on May 28, 2013, and unsealed today upon the arrest of the defendants.
Looks like he was only in it for the money. Well that is a relief.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

He should have gone into politics instead, that's legal.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

California deputy police chief resigns amid drug charges

A deputy police chief in California has resigned amid federal drug charges, including conspiracy to distribute oxycodone and heroin, authorities said Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-deputy ... 41369.html

===

Oklahoma officer kills suspect after confusing gun with Taser

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-officer- ... 10967.html

Reminds me of "This is my rifle, this is my gun....." Good thing he wasn't that confused.

===
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Trial to start for officer charged in deaths of 2 suspects

http://news.yahoo.com/trial-start-offic ... 04340.html

Brelo is the lone officer among the 13 who fired their weapons to be charged criminally. Prosecutors have said the threat to officers' lives was over when Brelo jumped from a police cruiser onto the hood of a beat-up Chevy Malibu to fire down into the windshield.

His defense team has argued that all 49 shots Brelo fired that night were justified and that the threat was not over until Brelo reached into the car and removed the keys. Russell and Williams each were struck by more than 20 rounds. Investigators concluded that nearly 100 rounds struck the Malibu.

=============

As long as the suspects can reach for their waistbands or make furtive movements the threat is not over,

Good shoot.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Simon, you can post up here a new shooting every week. Out of 370 million people, we should expect that many police shootings. You should however note, that more than 3 times that number are officers killed in the line of duty. 127 last year. Why aren't you outraged and peddling your childish sarcasm on their behalf? Why is it you only and always take the side of the criminals?

http://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2014
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Black teen shot dead by Illinois police shot in back: newspaper

http://news.yahoo.com/black-teen-shot-d ... 35432.html

A black teenager killed by police outside of Chicago over the weekend was shot twice in the back after attempting to steal an illegal handgun, officials and local media said on Monday.

The Zion Police Department said in a statement that 17-year-old Justus Howell met with another teenager to buy the gun before trying to wrestle it away. The seller, 18-year-old Tramond Peet whose account was the basis of the police statement, said one round was fired during the struggle.

Police said officers responded to the area and chased Howell, who still had the gun, before shooting and killing him. Police said a weapon was recovered from the scene.

=============================

Well GIT it looks like gun prohibition works the same as drug prohibition. In America it is mostly a left-right thing. The left believes in gun prohibition and the right believes in drug prohibition. I'm in a small minority. I believe they are both stupid. Looks like an epidemic to me.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Dennis Howell said that while the family has deep roots in Lake County, his nephew had recently moved to Waukegan from Wisconsin.
"He was on the path of getting back in school and getting his life in line. He was beginning to take the path to lead to a better life," Dennis Howell said.
He declined to elaborate on his nephew's past troubles.
Zion teen fatally shot by officers after attempting to steal a weapon.
A Waukegan School District 60 spokesman said Justus Howell had transferred into the district in February and had been placed at the privately run Lake Shore Academy, which serves students "who are at risk of extensive suspension and/or expulsion," according to a District 60 website.
In the news release late Monday, Zion police said they had encountered Peet on Saturday when he was pulled over on a traffic violation and was found to be in possession of a handgun magazine. After Peet was detained for questioning, police said, he told them he had met Howell in Zion with the intent of selling him a handgun.
Police said Peet told them Howell tried to take the gun without paying for it, that the two struggled over the gun and that Howell pointed the gun at Peet at one point. When Peet saw police cars arriving, he let go of the weapon and, before fleeing himself, saw Howell run off with the gun still in his hand. Peet said he saw police chase after Howell, heard officers giving him commands and then heard gunfire, according to the police release.

So in synopsis we have a troubled teen with a record trying to steal a handgun.
At least one shot was fired from the handgun either at the police or the seller of the gun.
Police chased and shot the teen who was in the process of committing multiple felony (handguns are illegal for under the age of 21)
He was a student of Lake Shore Academy. lakeshore is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education as a nonpublic educational facility for special education students in kindergarten through age 22. It offers elementary, middle and high school programming to children with diverse learning needs.
Translated If your kid can not be in a normal school situation due to learning disability or social issues like anger or violence we will take him for a fee. somehow this kid was screwed up in a major way.
Last edited by paperburn1 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

This web site has a lot of metrics on who shot who, death and wounded, even who shot themselves in a no suicide method.
All for the Chicago land area
http://heyjackass.com/

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It matters a great deal too, what the laws are in any state as to what justifies lethal force. Back when I lived in Portland, there was a controversial shooting where someone shot and killed a kid who was jacking change out of cars on a street, by breaking the glass in every car just to go through them for loose coins. He busted the glass in a car where the owner happened to be sitting on his porch with a loaded handgun, and that owner shot and killed the kid "over loose change".

On the one hand, killing someone over loose change sounds crazy. On the other, Oregon allows use of deadly force in protection of private property, and this guy had watched the kid smash windows in a whole string of cars. Turned out he ordered the kid to stop and the kid busted his car window anyway. And while I don't agree with the notion of killing someone over loose change, I do agree in use of lethal force in protection of private property. And yes, this includes SHOOTING PEOPLE IN THE BACK. Obviously, this cannot be defended on grounds of self defense, but that was not the justification for the shooting. And back in the day, were someone wrangling your horses, you were indeed entitled to shoot the bastard.

And this is what Simon doesn't get. We do not deserve to be victims. I agree that people should be able to kill other people who are attempting to victimize them. While you can't do this in NJ unless your life is threatened, the states are turning the laws back to favor the law abiding citizen. So criminals beware. If you get your ass shot off while busy doing crime against the average citizen, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Anyone know what the law in Wisconsin is that allows for lethal force? If the kid shot at police and then was running away, could be a righteous shooting, but I am not assuming that.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

He was actually in Illinois when this happened. He had moved from Wisconsin to help keep him out of the troubles he was having.

My PMI (primary marksmanship instructor)from the marines told me if I was ever in a fair fight I was doing it wrong.
looking at some of the statistics from the greater Chicago area had me just in full face palm.
Only seven days so far this year without a shooting.
The longest period of time without a shooting was 24 hours.
8 people managed to shoot themselves fatality
out of the 88 shooting only seven involved police.

williatw

Post by williatw »

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back

A still image shows the shooting Saturday

A white North Charleston police officer was arrested on a murder charge after a video surfaced Tuesday of the lawman shooting eight times at a 50-year-old black man as the man ran away.

Walter L. Scott, a Coast Guard veteran and father of four, died Saturday after Patrolman 1st Class Michael T. Slager, 33, shot him in the back.

Five of the eight bullets hit Scott, his family’s attorney said. Four of those struck his back. One hit an ear.

The footage filmed by a bystander, which The Post and Courier obtained Tuesday from a source who asked to remain anonymous, shows the end of the confrontation between the two on Saturday after Scott ran from a traffic stop. It was the first piece of evidence contradicting an account Slager gave earlier this week through his attorney.

The U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement that FBI investigators would work with the State Law Enforcement Division, which typically investigates officer-involved shootings in South Carolina, and the state’s attorney general to examine any civil rights violations in Scott’s death.

North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey said during a news conference that Slager had made a “bad decision.”

“When you’re wrong, you’re wrong,” Summey said. “If you make a bad decision, don’t care if you’re behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision.”

The 9th Circuit Solicitor’s Office will prosecute the murder charge that carries from 30 years to life in prison.

The Police Department, which has 343 sworn officers, has fought accusations in the past that aggressive patrolling tactics had unfairly targeted poor, predominately black communities. The newspaper reported in September that 18 percent of the officers were black while the city’s population is 45 percent black.

Scott’s older brother, Anthony Scott, called on community members during a news conference late Tuesday to pray for his family.
With Scott more than 10 feet from Slager, the officer draws his pistol and fires seven times in rapid succession. After a brief pause, the officer fires one last time. Scott’s back bows, and he falls face first to the ground near a tree.

After the gunfire, Slager glances at the person taking the video, then talks into his radio.

The cameraman curses, and Slager yells at Scott as sirens wail.

“Put your hands behind your back,” the officer shouts before he handcuffs Scott as another lawman runs to Scott’s side.

Scott died there.

Slager soon jogs back to where he fired his gun and picks up something from the ground. He walks back to Scott’s body and drops the object.
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... /150409468

Walter Scott shooting Video

https://vimeo.com/124336782

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Some commentary from Free Republic regarding this incident.

To: Citizen Zed

Once he’s running away what does it matter? He wasn’t armed and he wasn’t endangering anyone at that time.

If one of our troops shot an ISIS member like this they would go to jail.

2 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:08:07 PM by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)

Resisting arrest isn’t smart.

It can get you killed.

But even if you’ve just had an altercation with police if you’re running away unarmed, shooting you in the back is a bloody crime. It should NEVER happen!

5 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:10:56 PM by Westbrook (Children do not divide your love, they multiply it)

It was murder. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:11:33 PM by tennmountainman ("Prophet Mountainman" Predicter Of All Things RINO...for a small pittance.)

This cop should fry. From what I see.

10 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:13:03 PM by ColdOne (I miss my poochie... Tasha 2000~3/14/11)

There’s no more to the story. The unarmed guy was running away and the cop shot him in the back repeatedly. There’s no excuse for that. Case closed.

13 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:13:46 PM by Timber Rattler (Just say NO! to RINOS and the GOP-E)

Yes, but what could possibly justify shooting an unarmed man in the back who is running away from you?

Not to mention carrying over the taser and dropping it near the victim’s body, so there would be evidence to support his claim that the man threatened him with a taser.

No excuse or justification for this. None. Am I wrong?

15 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:12 PM by VictoryGal (Never give up, never surrender! REMEMBER NEDA)

No, there as no excuse for this. The guy was running away, he had no accomplices, and even if he had had a weapon, he didn’t have it when he was running. And he was no immediate threat to anybody.

I’m totally pro-police, but this was wrong and the police officers or police related people in my family agree.

17 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:22 PM by livius

Executed the man. Shot him in the back running away.

No defence.

19 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:45 PM by Eddie01 (Liberals lie about everything all the time.)
To: driftdiver

I agree 100%. Having grown up in the days of the old black and white TV westerns, one thing I learned is that nothing justifies shooting somebody in the back. The “good guys” just don’t do that.

25 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:16:31 PM by FlingWingFlyer ("I want to be America's first, historical, male first lady." - Slick Willie)
To: Dutchboy88

Yes, you can see he does not have a weapon in the video. You can also see the cop coldly shoot him eight times in the back, and then casually walk over and plant a weapon on the victim.

CASE CLOSED.

27 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:16:59 PM by dinodino

The suspect/victim appears to have been fleeing and unarmed. Unless those alleged facts are in contention, I am having a hard time seeing how what might, or might not have occurred before this has any bearing on the issue.

31 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:18:45 PM by NRx (An unrepentant champion of the old order and determined foe of damnable Whiggery in all its forms.)

If he dropped a weapon then he didnt have it.

He was running away, his hands are in plain view.

Anyone could be running for a weapon at any time. Should everyone be shot?

32 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:07 PM by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)

You sure like the taste of boots, don’t you?

The cop’s initial testimony (before the video came out) has already been made public. He claimed that he had to shoot the victim because the victim had his taser and the cop was in fear for his life, so he shot in self-defense.

What the video shows is that the cop is lying: his life was not in danger, the victim did not have a weapon, and the cop murdered him.

33 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:08 PM by dinodino
To: Osage Orange

You want civilian union cops shooting people in the back for running away from a traffic stop?

How about what appears to be the planting of a weapon?

35 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:45 PM by ansel12 (Palin--Mr President, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke.)

I wonder what the Liberals are saying about this incident?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Diogenes wrote:Some commentary from Free Republic regarding this incident.

Once he’s running away what does it matter? He wasn’t armed and he wasn’t endangering anyone at that time.

If one of our troops shot an ISIS member like this they would go to jail.

2 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:08:07 PM by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)

Resisting arrest isn’t smart.

It can get you killed.

But even if you’ve just had an altercation with police if you’re running away unarmed, shooting you in the back is a bloody crime. It should NEVER happen!

5 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:10:56 PM by Westbrook (Children do not divide your love, they multiply it)

It was murder. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:11:33 PM by tennmountainman ("Prophet Mountainman" Predicter Of All Things RINO...for a small pittance.)

This cop should fry. From what I see.

10 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:13:03 PM by ColdOne (I miss my poochie... Tasha 2000~3/14/11)

There’s no more to the story. The unarmed guy was running away and the cop shot him in the back repeatedly. There’s no excuse for that. Case closed.

13 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:13:46 PM by Timber Rattler (Just say NO! to RINOS and the GOP-E)

Yes, but what could possibly justify shooting an unarmed man in the back who is running away from you?

Not to mention carrying over the taser and dropping it near the victim’s body, so there would be evidence to support his claim that the man threatened him with a taser.

No excuse or justification for this. None. Am I wrong?

15 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:12 PM by VictoryGal (Never give up, never surrender! REMEMBER NEDA)

No, there as no excuse for this. The guy was running away, he had no accomplices, and even if he had had a weapon, he didn’t have it when he was running. And he was no immediate threat to anybody.

I’m totally pro-police, but this was wrong and the police officers or police related people in my family agree.

17 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:22 PM by livius

Executed the man. Shot him in the back running away.

No defence.

19 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:14:45 PM by Eddie01 (Liberals lie about everything all the time.)
To: driftdiver

I agree 100%. Having grown up in the days of the old black and white TV westerns, one thing I learned is that nothing justifies shooting somebody in the back. The “good guys” just don’t do that.

25 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:16:31 PM by FlingWingFlyer ("I want to be America's first, historical, male first lady." - Slick Willie)

Yes, you can see he does not have a weapon in the video. You can also see the cop coldly shoot him eight times in the back, and then casually walk over and plant a weapon on the victim.

CASE CLOSED.

27 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:16:59 PM by dinodino

The suspect/victim appears to have been fleeing and unarmed. Unless those alleged facts are in contention, I am having a hard time seeing how what might, or might not have occurred before this has any bearing on the issue.

31 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:18:45 PM by NRx (An unrepentant champion of the old order and determined foe of damnable Whiggery in all its forms.)

If he dropped a weapon then he didnt have it.

He was running away, his hands are in plain view.

Anyone could be running for a weapon at any time. Should everyone be shot?

32 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:07 PM by driftdiver (I could eat it raw, but why do that when I have a fire.)

You sure like the taste of boots, don’t you?

The cop’s initial testimony (before the video came out) has already been made public. He claimed that he had to shoot the victim because the victim had his taser and the cop was in fear for his life, so he shot in self-defense.

What the video shows is that the cop is lying: his life was not in danger, the victim did not have a weapon, and the cop murdered him.

33 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:08 PM by dinodino
To: Osage Orange

You want civilian union cops shooting people in the back for running away from a traffic stop?

How about what appears to be the planting of a weapon?

35 posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:19:45 PM by ansel12 (Palin--Mr President, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke.)

I wonder what the Liberals are saying about this incident?
What would be more interesting is what you think about. You don't say.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

williatw

Post by williatw »

Stubby wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I wonder what the Liberals are saying about this incident?
What would be more interesting is what you think about. You don't say.

You didn't ask what I think Stubby...but aside from the obvious point that some cops apparently think they have a license to kill ala James Bond;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licence_to_kill_(concept)

I think that cheap readily available video/audio recorders in the hands of the great masses of the people combined with the internet (you-Tube etc.) are shaping up to be one of the greatest engines of social change ever seen. Our would be masters now have to worry about being watch-dogged by witnesses that can't be denied, easily discredited, threatened, killed, or easily silenced; far as I am concerned all cops should be required by law to have body-cams with automatically down-loaded backups.