Strange magnetic field source.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Strange magnetic field source.

Post by Aero »

Any guesses as to what mechanism may be in play to enable this planet to maintain such a strong magnetic field. FWIW, I speculate that it is related to the compression of hydrogen to within 80% of ignition conditions. If compression does cause the magnetic fields, that does not speak well of efforts to compress hydrogen using magnetic fields.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/hu ... ncna898026
The scientists found that the object's magnetic field is more than 200 times stronger than Jupiter's, which, in turn, is between 16 and 54 times stronger than Earth's, according to NASA. How the object, which scientists call SIMP J01365663+0933473, can maintain a magnetic field so strong, as well as generate spectacular auroras, is still unclear.
On the other hand, the field is only 3 to 4 orders of magnitude stronger than Earth's fields so it might not be strong enough to bother the magnetic fields within a fusion device.
Aero

ladajo

Re: Strange magnetic field source.

Post by ladajo »

I think it is dependent on the core make up and layering. If it is active nuclear, which it seems so, having a strong field due to circulating layers does not seem far fetched.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)