Plasma Windows

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Plasma Windows

Post by Aero »

Does anyone have a good idea of how to use plasma windows in a Fusor? Probably not Polywell due to magnetic interference, but maybe another design.
http://www.techbriefs.com/component/con ... ticle/1834
Aero

ravingdave

Re: Plasma Windows

Post by ravingdave »

Aero wrote:Does anyone have a good idea of how to use plasma windows in a Fusor? Probably not Polywell due to magnetic interference, but maybe another design.
http://www.techbriefs.com/component/con ... ticle/1834
Since nobody else seems interested in proffering an opinion I guess i'll chime in with mine.

I am thinking that the degree of vacum necessary to allow a fusion device to function is too problamatic with a plasma window. My understanding of plasma windows were that they were primarily deveolped for electron beam welding so that the technology could be used without having to place the objects to be welded in a vacum chamber.

The ability to pump down a small chamber quickly allows the machines to weld objects with the electron beam while minimizing the consumption of electrical power needed to maintain the beam and the vacum.

Even so, I suspect a large quantity of the plasma's atoms get into the chamber and while not enough to interfer with the operation of the electron gun are probably more than enough to interfer with the operation of a fusor.

Apart from all of that, why would you want to use a plasma window in a fusor ? I mean, what kind of benefit would you be looking for ?

David

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well, they aid in focusing, for one thing. Maybe they could deflect some of the alphas away from the Magrid. But mostly, I was posting anything non-political.
Aero

hanelyp

Re: Plasma Windows

Post by hanelyp »

ravingdave wrote:I am thinking that the degree of vacum necessary to allow a fusion device to function is too problamatic with a plasma window. My understanding of plasma windows were that they were primarily deveolped for electron beam welding so that the technology could be used without having to place the objects to be welded in a vacum chamber.

David
Doesn't sound very useful for a fusion reactor. But a plasma window sounds like something that might be very useful for a QED engine. How well would one handle the propellant stream in such an engine?

Aero

Post by Aero »

I don't know. I was searching Google for "Force Fields" when I came across Plasma windows. They seem to be the closest thing that currently exists. But then I didn't do a very detailed search.
Aero