Polywell Visions: Food

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Roger

Post by Roger »

Closed looped agriculture is a long way off. Currently organic farming in the USA is on the 2000 acre scale. Since Russia pulled out of Cuba they've gone to organic farming due to the lack of petroleum based fertilzer. Cuba has coupled worm farming with organic farming and done quite well. I think the first step will be developing a closed loop enviromental unit that can scrub CO2 and produce O2 for a space station.

Polywell might displace oil for transportation and fertilizer in the short term.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

cksantos

Post by cksantos »

Commercial closed loop is far off but back yard semi closed loop is getting more and more popular, its only a matter of time before it moves into the commercial arena.

I do recirculating aquaponics with chickens over the top combined with vermi-composting, black fly larvae, and duck weed blended together for chicken feed. Only input is food waste. Does extremely well for growing taro, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, eggs, catfish, etc. My problem is bugs, so I am eventually going to put it all in a green house, or indoors with led's and HPS.

Roger

Post by Roger »

@cksantos. I think you've got the right take. Semi closed loop organic farming is where the best understanding lies. From this knowledge base will spring a true closed loop.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:@cksantos. I think you've got the right take. Semi closed loop organic farming is where the best understanding lies. From this knowledge base will spring a true closed loop.
It is an interesting hobby. But it will not sweep the nation unless it lowers prices. However, learning something is good.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

MS- Senator Testor of Montana has a 1700 acre organic farm. Organic produce has a real foot in the door. Beeter taste too.

The base of knowledge is what is interesting. These people know the inputs and the outputs.closed loop ag will build off this base.

cksantos

Post by cksantos »

MSimon wrote:
Roger wrote:@cksantos. I think you've got the right take. Semi closed loop organic farming is where the best understanding lies. From this knowledge base will spring a true closed loop.
It is an interesting hobby. But it will not sweep the nation unless it lowers prices. However, learning something is good.
Heres my theory.

Alternative energy sources brings cheap (cheap as in cheaper than the insane price per barrel for oil we will be paying anyway) energy to mining and farming, which feeds all the rest of the economy for the developed world and possibly China/India. The dollar inflates but food stays low due to lack of economic growth in Agri 3rd world countries. Eventually Americans and possibly select others will have sequestered an incredible amount of wealth and by extension, labor.

Spending insane amounts of money on food is common place now. Whole Foods Corp is to the mom and pop grocery, as mom and pop is to 3rd world farmer trading. Its a progression that is slow but inevitable. My lunch today cost 12 dollars, which if i had grown my food and given the money to a family of 12 in India they would eat for a month. BTW my set up is in a condo, so urban agriculutre is the future. Super fresh, lab room clean, and organic.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

You lost me here:
Alternative energy sources brings cheap (cheap as in cheaper than the insane price per barrel for oil we will be paying anyway) energy to mining and farming
Uh. Not any time soon. AE costs (now) about $1 a peak watt installed. That is about $3 per average delivered watt. Plus the $1 a watt you need for hot backup. Plus fuel to keep the backup ready.

AE has to get down to 10 to 15 cents a watt installed to allow for the cost of storage. Got a time frame for that? My guess is at current learning curve rates about 30 to 50 years.

Even if you could make tractor fuel with it - it would probably still be cheaper to convert coal. But who can guess 50 years out?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.