We lost so many members :(

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Re: We lost so many members :(

Post by JoeStrout »

Thanks all for your input. It costs me very little to keep the board running, so I'm happy to continue doing so as long as anyone is finding it of interest.

And who knows... maybe polywell research itself will roar back to life one day, and we'll be the site that kept the torch lit this whole time. :D
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

As best I can make out, the long time the board was down did far more to drive out active membership than the lack of news about polywells. From my particular tech background I had a good idea what the problem was, but had no way to reach anyone in a position to deal with it.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

JoeStrout wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:42 am
Thanks all for your input. It costs me very little to keep the board running, so I'm happy to continue doing so as long as anyone is finding it of interest.
hanelyp wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:53 pm
As best I can make out, the long time the board was down did far more to drive out active membership than the lack of news about polywells. From my particular tech background I had a good idea what the problem was, but had no way to reach anyone in a position to deal with it.
Joe, thanks for offering to keep the place running, but as hanelyp correctly pointed out, most of the people went away during downtime, so I would suggest you at least to make some additions to the board management to handle day by day operations and emergency maintenance in case of issues.
I am sure there are people with enough technical knowledge here that would be happy to help.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

Mention of the board here in a public Facebook group some 7 years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1019428 ... 5455895668
> Support Polywell Fusion Research
> Public group
> 229 members

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

We are still out here, waiting, watching, and wondering what comes next and can we overcome the roadblock by "high pressure fusion"
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well, I am not dead yet. :)
Glad to see some old timers still around.

"Hammer of God..."

By the by, EMC2 is still not dead either. New focuses, same premises. If Jaeyoung gains more traction you may yet see something. Been a lot of work on the simulation side these last couple of years.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Taliesin

Post by Taliesin »

'Hammer of God', That was the one, thanks Ladajo.

I hear the US Navy just received a whopping budget increase this year for new ships. $24 Billion!!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Everything I have heard or seen says they are cutting, not growing the budget. The navy also failed to deliver an actual ship building plan this year, and recycled the last one. Rough seas ahead I suspect. Overall, the force is shifting in emphasis to smaller (even unmanned) platforms to do jobs which are wasted on 1st Line Combatants. Currently, the bulk of our fighting force is the equivalent of capital warships and we certainly can't afford to take that to war. Imagine if we had tried to fight WWII in the Pacific with an all cruiser/battleship force? While pretty, what would it have cost to build, operate, and sustain? Instead, as the war progressed, we became highly reliant on the low end Destroyers, which in today's terms are more akin to Corvettes or maybe Frigates. Think about it, a Burke DDG is 9,000 tons, a WWII Destroyer was +/- 2,000 tons. Also, shooting a DD/DE in WWII was not a big deal, shooting a DDG today would be a major loss in terms of Relative Combat Power change to the battle line. Meh.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

ladajo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:04 pm
Glad to see that you are still around! :mrgreen:
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Giorgio wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:19 am
ladajo wrote:
I second that! :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Same to you guys!

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Skipjack wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:07 pm
Giorgio wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:19 am
ladajo wrote:
Third! :)

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Very good to see you back again ladajo!

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:
By the by, EMC2 is still not dead either. New focuses, same premises. If Jaeyoung gains more traction you may yet see something. Been a lot of work on the simulation side these last couple of years.
I agree, Simulation testing in design has been a thing for a long time. But in the past two years I have been seeing some amazing things dropping across my desk in the aircraft industry. Its like the old days of flight. plodding along then all the sudden we are going for a moon shot (Apollo) I am seeing the exact same thing in our latest mods to the trainers. Testing in software before the hardware hits the floor and the rapid prototyping going on. We are now in a two way channel with china lake that is full duplex. The turn around time has dropped to 1/4 the time is was just 3 years ago. Next Generation Air Dominance is mostly done in lighting speed. The AV8-B went from nothing to Link 16 capable in an astonishing short Time. we integrated working Link16 real time into the devices in just 6 months thanks to testing in simulation. I think we are at the cusp of another revolution if we can find a way to power it before we can no longer use squashed Dinos
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.