Starting A Fusion Program In Your Home Town

Consider specific people in the fusion research community, business, or politics who should be made aware of polywell research, and how we might reach them.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Re: Every congressional district

Post by MSimon »

Wittgenstein wrote:I don't understand the point of this plan.
I have a plan that is a little more robust. I think.

I want fusors and Polywells included in the plan. There is so much to be learned that machines other than Polywells would be useful for extending the state of the art. If fusors and Polywells are included in sizes ranging from a table top fusor to produce plasmas at $10K up to full 100 KV neutron producers at around $100K including radiation safety eqpt. there would definitely be a place in all 435 Congressional districts for them.

The more brains we can apply to the subject the faster the progress.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Lets jump ahead, WB-7 is awesome, we are just ironing out the first 1000mw net power plant, and ...

No one knows how to do this stuff, how do you ramp up mass production of reactor cores ?

You cant.... lets go back a bit..

Everyone is excited about how good WB-7 was, and 9 Universities are wanting to start new IEC/polywell programs...

Those Universities become the farm teams, when/if we need 300 bachelor degree graduates in Polywell fusion for Industry, the colleges will already be on it.

If Polywell works we're going to need 1000's of degreed peeps.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

drmike

Post by drmike »

They already exist. There are 1000's of PhD's in plasma physics who don't work in plasma technology. They will come out of the wood work as soon as the money hits the table top.

You still need to keep a ramp up in place, but the basic knowledge base is out there already.

Ontology

How about the Capitol of Canada? (Ottawa)

Post by Ontology »

Greetings from Ottawa,

I'll come right out and state that I am an Armchair physicist, but I do know a real one that used to Teach here at Carleton University. I'm hoping to speak with him about setting up fusion resarch centers here in the Capitol. We have two very large and reputable universities and it just so happens that a good friend of mine's father used to teach theoretical physics at one of them.

That bieng said I live not to far from the "Hill" (Parliament) and since Stephan Dion is gearing the oppositions policy in the "Green Shift" I may play to both sides by stating here is a potential investment that can benefit the globe the likes of which we haven't seen since the CANDU program.

Ottawa has a LOT of physicists as a result of the telecommunications and semi-conductor industries that are located here so we may be able to leverage talent as well as public funding. I just want to get started on the right foot.

I'll keep everyone informed of my progress, and if I have to help write proposals for government funding I can (that is my area of expertise) as I am a consultant.
Science is it's own perversion if it's ultimate goal is not the betterment of all mankind ~ N. Tesla

drmike

Post by drmike »

You've also got Chalk River lab not too far away. Plenty of folks there would be mighty interested in getting some experiments running in a lab or two.

choff

Post by choff »

With a good peer review, probably a lot of western governments might be persuaded to contribute to a $250 million program. They all want to show a commitment with voters to clean up the enviorment and get gas prices down. That in turn makes it a lot easier to sell too the U.S. congress when the American taxpayer doesn't have to take all the risk. A lot of corporations will want to show how green they can be as well.

I've seen a few positive posts about the polywell from Grits here in Canada, being Tory myself we can call the support truly bipartisan. Maybe a few New Democrats, Greens and Bloc members have been reading posts.

I've seen supporters here from India & Austrailia as well.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:With a good peer review, probably a lot of western governments might be persuaded to contribute to a $250 million program. They all want to show a commitment with voters to clean up the enviorment and get gas prices down. That in turn makes it a lot easier to sell too the U.S. congress when the American taxpayer doesn't have to take all the risk. A lot of corporations will want to show how green they can be as well.

I've seen a few positive posts about the polywell from Grits here in Canada, being Tory myself we can call the support truly bipartisan. Maybe a few New Democrats, Greens and Bloc members have been reading posts.

I've seen supporters here from India & Austrailia as well.
The deal is even a $1bn expenditure is down in the noise level for the American government. $250 million would be hard to chart. $30 million for a continuous running reactor would not even merit an eye blink.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

What happened to this effort?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:What happened to this effort?
So far it is still going on in the previous uncoordinated way. I have done the preliminary work.

All that is required is a funding source.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

My Jr. College (Peninsula College, Port Angeles WA) has already joined the fusion club by making their very own fusor. Is there a chance they can by the basics of a WB7 at a reasonable price?

PS: Sorry about the shout!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:My Jr. College (Peninsula College, Port Angeles WA) has already joined the fusion club by making their very own fusor. Is there a chance they can by the basics of a WB7 at a reasonable price?

PS: Sorry about the shout!
Ah. So you are one of them? Great!

Yes. I Rick Nebel has mentioned licensing the WB-7 technology or going into production of WB-7s. Ask him.

BTW a lot could be done with POPS experiments on fusors. A little RF could go a long way.

http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/2008/02/lc-pops.html

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: Ah. So you are one of them? Great!
Well, I did once go to PenCol, but no, I was not part of THAT team. I would just sort of like to encourage them some more.