WB7.1 Contract Awarded March 3, 2009

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Obviously there is no full direct conversion of alphas yet, there is no full power reactor, no net power production, etc.

It was clear I was explaining the infosec, opsec, and comsec basis for this: a nuclear reactor in a sub that doesnt rely on turbines to generate electricity is obviously going to be much quieter than present day systems and confers a tactical and strategic advantage on the country that controls this technology.

While it is evident that eventually polywell will be a commercial power source, until the Navy figures out ways to detect future chinese and russian subs that may use polywell, its to the Navy's tactical advantage to not publicly disclose as much data as possible.

On another issue: Just because something isn't publicly disclosed doesnt make it not scientifically proven. The secret to making an atom bomb work was mostly secret for a number of years, so was the stealth fighters stealthing abilities, and any number of other technologies. When a stealth fighter flies over your head, or you see a mushroom cloud, it really doesnt matter that they didnt tell you how it works, does it?

Roger

Post by Roger »

I would add:

IntLibber wrote:A polywell reactor, remember, generates electricity by direct conversion. This greatly reduces the amount of noise generated by the power plant (I am not aware of acoustic issues inside a polywell), as you dont need turbines, wont have cavitation or a lot of moving parts. A polywell powered sub can dump waste heat to the surrounding water.
Caviation ? Caused by propellers?
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, I thought that cavitation was the formation of gas bubbles due to a vacuum at the tips of fast turning propellers.
Thats why most subs now have sickle shaped propellers.
I also understand that the turbines used to generate power from steam in nuclear subs make noise. But I dont quite understand how that causes cavitation...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Yeah, I thought that cavitation was the formation of gas bubbles due to a vacuum at the tips of fast turning propellers.
Thats why most subs now have sickle shaped propellers.
I also understand that the turbines used to generate power from steam in nuclear subs make noise. But I dont quite understand how that causes cavitation...
In the boiler. Where steam is made. Cavitation may not be the correct term. Formation and collapse of bubbles is the effect.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Cavitation (vapor bubbles in a liquid, usually caused by low pressure) occurs lots of fun places. I remember reading a while back about an issue discovered in hydroelectric dams where unexpected pockets of powerful cavitation were popping chunks of concrete out of the walls.

Also, you probably experience cavitation every day, if you or anyone you know cracks their knuckles or other joints