A Sequel to The Google Talk

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

A Sequel to The Google Talk

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 am

I know all of you know about Dr. Bussard's famous talk to Google.

Now we can add to that Dr. Park's talk to Microsoft.

I doubt you'll find a lot new in the data presented from some of the talks we've seen earlier, but this is a video and it seems to me some of the slides are new.

Nobody in the front row. Nobody wants the splash zone if it might be radioactive?

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/vide ... 238715&r=1

Tom Ligon

Re: A Sequel to The Google Talk

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:38 am

Are you guys getting this to play right? I keep locking up at the Question on Plasma Stability slide. My browser stops loading at that point.

Betruger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Betruger » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:14 am

I don't have 80 minutes to rule it out, but I can seek around the length of the video, and it seems to load fine. Google Chrome, latest version.

CelticWarrior72
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby CelticWarrior72 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 am

That video was great. Very encouraging. I think they are going to do it too.

Teemu

Postby Teemu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 am

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 am

Indeed, some of the slides are new like this one: :D

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 am

I just got the link to the video from my friend Clyde. I have started it playing in Firefox. It looks good so far.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 am

OK. I got a failure about 23 minutes in. The download works.

wizz33

Postby wizz33 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 am

direct video link
edit i want the slides

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:13 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm

I used Safari. It always works, even when nefarious places like google try to scare you that it won't.

Was a good presentation, but I'd like to know where the $300M figure came from for a 2 meter chamber. I would not have guessed within an order of magnitude even if I built in the cost of a large staff working for ten years. The thing doesn't even have cooling! Where did that number come from? I think they're paddin' the guesstimate some and not really skillful at how to make an estimate to begin with, and it's a shame because they might get $30M but I doubt they'll get $300M.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Maybe because at Microsoft, $300M is "just a handful of McMansions?"

Ah, to have money! I'm too used to poor-boying, even in fusion R&D. Most of us here probably have a hard time thinking on that scale.

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 pm

2 meter radius coils, not chamber. Those must be some kind of electron injectors to jump to closed cusps.

And that is nearly 1 GW net (over plasma heating which does not include auxiliaries, nor power after electric conversion).
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Awesome. It even has the spiky ball.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:01 pm

Actually the recently couple of versions of Firefox have been utter crap. I think they've inflated themselves a bit and moved away from the simplicity they once were. As for safari, I avoid it due to known security issues, but since it is a low market share, you're probably safe. Chrome lacks a lot of standard features of other browsers yet, but it's getting there. I won't speak to IE, we all know what's wrong there.

Return to “News”