Crossfire fusor - any experiments yet?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Crossfire fusor - any experiments yet?

Post by chrismb »

The list I first pinned up here on all the different fusion technologies was cribbed and put onto wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fu ... chnologies

I don't really mind, best place for it and I should feel flattered, but the reason for me trying to keep a hold of it was to avoid what has happened to that wiki list - someone's gone and added 'crossfire fusor'.

Has anyone info on this? Has it been built? The list is for actual experiments - if it were for ideas then it would be flooded out with crap.

I am intending to delete it. Any views on this crossfire ?

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

You could create a category titled "Proposed" and move it there. That keeps it on the page but separate from the other categories that are listed.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I have made such suggestions that I might try to write such a list. The problem is that there are so many barking mad ideas that it would be impossible to comprehensively categorise them all, lest alone contemplate putting reasonable descriptive categories on some of them.

It would be possible to make a stab at a comprehensive list of ideas that have been patented. But crossfire fails there, still. It has not even been passed on to any national patent stages, as far as I can tell.

An idea and a patent filing falls short of the mark of what could be given credit as a 'technology'. It is the 'technique' in the 'technology' that I was trying to get at.

I still don't really understand this crossfire as it seems to be saying that it doesn't have a central grid like a fusor, yet it 'applies' voltage to the centre. I don't really get it, or why it is much different to Polywell.

Enginerd

Re: Crossfire fusor - any experiments yet?

Post by Enginerd »

chrismb wrote:I don't really mind, best place for it and I should feel flattered, but the reason for me trying to keep a hold of it was to avoid what has happened to that wiki list - someone's gone and added 'crossfire fusor'.
Looks like the list is missing the obvious fusion power technology:
gravitationally induced spontaneous ignition fusion reactors (i.e. stars).

Per the wiki page, it seems the 'crossfire fusor' is described here.
Last edited by Enginerd on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

chrismb wrote:I have made such suggestions that I might try to write such a list. The problem is that there are so many barking mad ideas that it would be impossible to comprehensively categorise them all, lest alone contemplate putting reasonable descriptive categories on some of them.
Perhaps a 'Delusional/Impossible/Stupid' category, for ideas such as 'ask three elephants to stand on some hydrogen' or 'have a prayer group concentrate really hard on some holy blessed Boron'. Might prove amusing if nothing else....

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Enginerd wrote:Perhaps a 'Delusional/Impossible/Stupid' category, for ideas such as 'ask three elephants to stand on some hydrogen' or 'have a prayer group concentrate really hard on some holy blessed Boron'. Might prove amusing if nothing else....
Exactly the problem. Once the gate is opened, where does it stop

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

But what if we aimed a gazillion high power lasers at a fuel pellet from all angles and simultaneously blasted it?....oh wait...

:shock:

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Enginerd wrote:Looks like the list is missing the obvious fusion power technology:
gravitationally induced spontaneous ignition fusion reactors (i.e. stars).

Per the wiki page, it seems the 'crossfire fusor' is described here.
A star isn't a technology.

And the crossfire info [already inspected, and an email sent] appears to confirm that it is not an experiment yet manifest in hardware.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

chrismb wrote:
Enginerd wrote:Looks like the list is missing the obvious fusion power technology:
gravitationally induced spontaneous ignition fusion reactors (i.e. stars)
A star isn't a technology.
A star isn't. But they do demonstrate that gravitationally induced fusion works with a large positive Q. All we need to do is build a focused gravitational field generator and we're set. :-)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

... or just build a star. That might be easier than a focused gravitational field generator.

As for the topic of wiki topics for that page, I'm really not sure. I can definitely appreciate why you'd only want to include stuff that is at least being built, if not actually constructed. Perhaps another page specifically for the "proposed ideas that most people consider won't happen until after everyone has their own personal light-saber"? At least then you'd have a place to list those entries that don't fit this particular page (e.g., "see, we didn't leave it off/remove it ... we've just put it with its peers. we'll move it back if we see something to justify that ...").